Anybody have any thoughts on going this path?  Want frame generation. Also appears to be slight upgrade. Though I’m wondering if stepping down in vram would be a negative hit for me. Run in 4k.  Interested in thoughts 

thanks 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I'd say if you are happy with what you have, wait and skip this generation so they can work out the quirks.  When i've done updates I usually try to go every-other as then I've seen the most significant improvements, ie  1080ti to 3090ti, etc.  Between the issues with the power plug, which I'm guessing in future iterations they will probably modify or change location to reduce the 'user error' in connecting it.  Since they seem to be going the way of everything else and coming out with new versions almost every year, the 5080 or whatever next gen is would probably be better bang for you.

Also, if AMD knocks it out of the park with their XTX, it might be a better option too considering I see you are running an AMD cpu.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

4 minutes ago, jlohrenz said:

I'd say if you are happy with what you have, wait and skip this generation so they can work out the quirks.  When i've done updates I usually try to go every-other as then I've seen the most significant improvements, ie  1080ti to 3090ti, etc.  Between the issues with the power plug, which I'm guessing in future iterations they will probably modify or change location to reduce the 'user error' in connecting it.  Since they seem to be going the way of everything else and coming out with new versions almost every year, the 5080 or whatever next gen is would probably be better bang for you.

Also, if AMD knocks it out of the park with their XTX, it might be a better option too considering I see you are running an AMD cpu.

I'm actually looking at 4080.  I think power plug melt issues were just with the 4090 right?  I get your point about skipping a generation.  However I see a significant upside to getting access to the "Frame Generation" feature.  That's why I'm asking.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

15 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I'm actually looking at 4080.  I think power plug melt issues were just with the 4090 right?  I get your point about skipping a generation.  However I see a significant upside to getting access to the "Frame Generation" feature.  That's why I'm asking.  

Reports are Nvidia are gearing up for a price cut for the 40 Series in December in time for the holiday season.

RX 7900 XTX vs RTX 4080 vs RTX 4090 - 10 Games Test - YouTube

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 hours ago, micstatic said:

Anybody have any thoughts on going this path?  Want frame generation. Also appears to be slight upgrade. Though I’m wondering if stepping down in vram would be a negative hit for me. Run in 4k.  Interested in thoughts 

thanks 

We have similar systems,

I have thought about trying to sell my 3090 and put the money towards a 4080/4090 but the more I think about it the more I am put off by the ridiculous pricing of these cards. Most of the time I can maintain 50 - 60 fps in the Fenix, PMDG & A310 with pretty decent settings. I find that AI traffic can be a big hit so I just use FSLTL to place traffic at the gate for a more realistic airport environment. I also prefer staying away from the huge hubs and tend to fly out of smaller airports where I still get great performance. For me personally I will probably wait until the 5 series cards or wait until the pricing of the 4 series is more realistic. Is the sim going to look that much different with those last few settings on Ultra instead of high at 100 fps plus instead of 60 fps with a solid frametime? That's a hard question I keep asking myself. 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I am in the same boat. I have a smooth experience now. No sense paying that much more at this moment for just seeing a higher FPS and equally smooth experience. My 3090 is doing great. So I’ll see Nvidia in the 50’s. 

• Like 2

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I am not thrilled with the smoothness of panning. So that’s why I am looking. 

8 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Nvidia are gearing up for a price cut for the 40 Series in December

not the 40 series, only the 4080, not the 4090 😠

"the source suggests that the reduced price doesn't have anything to do with the upcoming AMD launch, but is instead part of NVIDIA's effort to offer its customers a better price-to-performance ratio." 😀

https://screenrant.com/nvidia-rtx-4080-price-cut/

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I am not thrilled with the smoothness of panning. So that’s why I am looking. 

How are you running the sim Dave?

Vsync on, off, are you capping fps in sim or externally and what fps range do you typically see yourself in?

If I stay between 50 & 60 I still get good results, obviously the closer to 60 the better at native 120Hz refresh rate

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I've got a 2080 8gig I've had for almost 4 years and on the whole am happy with it. I've noticed locally that 3090 have really dropped in price - below even the 4080. I'm tempted but will probably wait for a decent price in the 4080. I like these threads being able to listen to the experiences of others.

I had planned to move to the 3090ti, but then the scalpers came in and I decided to sit on my dual 1080ti system.  This fall I've been taking advantage of sales and now have a new system ready to go minus the vido card.  Waiting to see if the prices come down a bit or wait for the dust to settle before I jump, but I plan to move to a 4090 since there are obvious advantages compared to my old but faithful 1080ti.  I also currently run 3 1080p projectors and would like to upgrade to 4k at some point, so a 4090 looks to be the golden ticket so I can stay with everything visually running on one machine.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

8 hours ago, RJC68 said:

How are you running the sim Dave?

Vsync on, off, are you capping fps in sim or externally and what fps range do you typically see yourself in?

If I stay between 50 & 60 I still get good results, obviously the closer to 60 the better at native 120Hz refresh rate

Vsync on. No capping. 60hz native. Typically 50s but hard places can be 27-30. Mostly ultra 

4 hours ago, micstatic said:

Vsync on. No capping. 60hz native. Typically 50s but hard places can be 27-30. Mostly ultra 

Have you tried setting the refresh rate to 50Hz on your TV, Keep Vsync on in NVCP and if you are using Afterburner you can use Riva Tuner to lock the fps at 50. I find this gives the smoothest frame time and 50 fps will give your hardware some breathing room. If you are using live AI traffic with mainly Ultra settings at larger busy hubs you will still see fps drops and more powerful hardware is the only way to go to get high fps in those really demanding situations. Your PC is no slouch by any means and will perform superbly in 80% plus of all the situations, I keep asking myself is the upgrade cost worth it lol.

Hope you a re able to reach a decision and if you do upgrade your 3090 (We have the exact same card) I will be interested to see how your experience is

Merry Christmas 

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Please don’t buy a 4080 until Nvidia drops the price to under $1000USD. Its current price is gouging people and is not good value. You’re getting 2/3rds of a 4090 for 3/4 the price. Buying one just sends a message to Nvidia that we’re suckers. 

• Like 1

yes. I don’t intend to buy until next year and only if the price goes down. I’ll try the frame locking and see if it helps me. I was religious about locking frames to 30 in p3d. So I am a believer in concept 

• Like 1