Sign in to follow this  
Guest kanterj

Boxy effects

Guest kanterj

Lately some of the effects in my FSX appear as boxes. This occurs for strobe lights in the external aircraft view, wakes of boats and waves breaking on shore. Is there a fix for this?

I have what I believe to be the same problem but it appears to be limited to when I fly the Baron and even then it only occurs when I try to bring up the radio stack while in the virtual cockpit.I believe its just a symptom of my graphics card getting overwhelmed or something. It may be something with the Baron.Have you noticed it ocurring at any specific time or circumstance?I dont have any fix for it but I've seen it, too.EDIT: the quick solution is to open the menu (Alt) and then choose 'Display'as if you were going to change something but then just cancel the screen and it will reset itself.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175858.jpg

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

If they look like a light (or an engine flame) but are boxy and they are always like this, the associated textures are missing.1. Look in the aircraft.cfg file and find the offending effects file names.2. Go to the FSXeffects directory and find the file and open it with a text editor.3. Find the texture files it references (i.e. fx_vclighth.fx references FSXeffectstexturefx_2.bmp) and figure out which texture files are missing.Then you'll have to figure out how to find the missing texture files. You might also consider using a different effect.For instance, in Mikko Maliniemi's Pitts Challenger II ch2_gmax.zip file, he forgot to include the effects files (and effects textures) for the red smoke, but I found another red smoke effect and just replaced it with that.When I installed the FSX C-121, its effects were missing their textures, but I asked over at the Sim-Outhouse forums if anybody knew where to find the textures, and somebody was able to send them to me.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest kanterj

The boxy effect appears on all aircraft, even the stock ones. I added so much stuff, it would be hard to track down the offending file. I wonder if there is a general fix?