Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

Real question about Columbia 400.

This plane really interests me after viewing the preview video on it.Is it really that "demanding" on one's system? I would like to buy this plane, but I'm not interested in a slide show type of aircraft. I'd like to hear from some Columbia 400 users....and get some first hand reviews.

It has a performance impact.I had to lower my FPS lock from 32 to 26 and turn down autogen a notch, but I think it is worth the impact.The VC looks great, the Avidyne display is really fluid and sharp and the exterior looks excellent too.The Avidyne is not fully simulated if you compare it to the real Columbia manual (no terrain, no weather stuff, etc.), but for me it is sufficient.And there is still the 30 day money back guarantee, if you don't like it.Alex

Guest CyberSimmer

This plane does have a significant impact on framerates. I average about 22 FPS (unlimited) over major cities with autogen set at normal. Elsewhere I average about 10 frames more with autogen set at very dense. No slideshows here! Your system should manage the same, providing it is optimized.Apart from the framerate impact, I think it is a great plane, and it is out of my hanger the most! Like the other posters have stated , I also wish it had a moving map. The lean assist is a nice feature, and the mixture is simulated very well, so I guess that kinda makes up for the lack of a moving map in my view.Regards,ChrisAsus M2N-MX moboAMD X2 6000 3.0ghz dual core CPU2 gig corsair XM2 DDR2 800mhz ramBFG Nvidia 8800GTS Sound Blaster Audigy sound card19 Samsung SyncMaster LCD at (1280-1024)

Thanks for the input. FSX tends to run smoothly at 20-25fps. Are you saying that even though your frames are down, that the flight is smooth and without stutter?

Guest CyberSimmer

Yup, Flights are smooth, and stutter free. If I didnt hit shift+z, I probably would even realize how low the framerates are.Chris

I just bought the Columbia this past weekend. I lock my system @ 20 and I got a very minimal FPS hit in FSX. I am running UT for FSX and I also run autogen on sparse ( which is plenty for me ). System specs down below. I too was a bit worried on how it would run on my older machine but it has done fine.

Thanks to all for your positive feedback on our FSX C400:-)Just a note to avoid confusion. Eaglesoft Avidynes include "moving map". Some may be confusing "moving map" with "terrain map" underlay which is not included because it brings our test systems to their knees:-(Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Well, I bought the Columbia 400 this morning. I plan to really test it this evening. I did take it for a test spin, and it certainly does lower the avg fps that I usually get with my default Marchetti 260, but it was still stutter-free and smooth. I'll check all my settings tonight and go from there. I do indeed like the sounds and wing views. VC looks interesting. I might have to read the manuals on this plane, though. I look forward to a great addition to aircraft folder with this beauty.

Guest CyberSimmer

Indeed the Columbia 400 does have a moving map:) Just no terrain features as you stated. Sorry for the confusing on my part:)Regards,Chris

No apology needed:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png