Sign in to follow this  
Paul J

FSX Constantly Wants to Activate?

I experienced a HDD failure last week and after replacing it with a new one went through the painful process of reinstalling XP, FSX, SP1 etc.As it was a reinstall, I expected to FSX to run it's activation wizard, which it did. Then, because my nVidia nForce SATA drivers seemed to be causing paging errors, I uninstalled them and ran with the standard Microsoft ones. FSX wanted to be activated again.So, I activated again and all was ok... until I ran FSX a third time and it wanted to be activated yet again! This time it wouldn't let me, and I had to call MS's Support line to get a manual activation.Then, despite the manual activation, every time FSX has run since it's asked me to activate, so many times so that my activations have expired again...Grrrr!!So, I've completely uninstalled, cleaned up and reinstalled FSX and now have phoned through through for yet another manual activation. But now I'm concerned that the whole thing will keep going like Groundhog Day everytime I run FSX.Has anyone else had this repeating activation problem?Thanks,Vox

>I experienced a HDD failure last week and after replacing it>with a new one went through the painful process of>reinstalling XP, FSX, SP1 etc.>>As it was a reinstall, I expected to FSX to run it's>activation wizard, which it did. Then, because my nVidia>nForce SATA drivers seemed to be causing paging errors, I>uninstalled them and ran with the standard Microsoft ones. FSX>wanted to be activated again.>So, I activated again and all was ok... until I ran FSX a>third time and it wanted to be activated yet again! This time>it wouldn't let me, and I had to call MS's Support line to get>a manual activation.>>Then, despite the manual activation, every time FSX has run>since it's asked me to activate, so many times so that my>activations have expired again...Grrrr!!>>So, I've completely uninstalled, cleaned up and reinstalled>FSX and now have phoned through through for yet another manual>activation. But now I'm concerned that the whole thing will>keep going like Groundhog Day everytime I run FSX.>>Has anyone else had this repeating activation problem?>>Thanks,>>>Vox

Hi Vox; strange name, but to each his own, I suppose.This "PartMgr" fix has helped me out a number of times - look for the post by miclarke in the post below.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchGood luck.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul,Good call, thanks for the pointer!And as regards the name... it's a long story :)Vox

I hope it does fix it, man. I've been caught with a sound card, changing my gpu drivers, disabling on-board sound, adding an fs9 aircraft; unbelievable that this can happen so easily. I actually dumped the MS MediaPlayer (and about $40 worth of music) in favour of I-Tunes because of the activation issue. Same thing. . . . and most of the time MS tech support initially has no clue as to what you're talking about. I'd gladly take that "cd in the drive" system instead of this. :-)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.