Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

How much time per week on FSX?

Guest nels

This is something I'm interested in comparing to other flight simmers as I don't spend as nearly as much as I'd like to using FS.So how much time per week do you spend on your hobby?A typical IFR flight for me would include say a flight from Stansted to Edinburgh and if I set it up correctly (with Flight1's ATR for example) I'd be simming for say 2 hours (by the time I've put the kettle on and really settled into the charts etc)Before I know it I've come home from work then its time for bed! I feel so guilty sometimes spending whole evenings with FSX as I am absolutely addicted. Lets face it, by the time your read AVSIM forums and caught up on the daily new on other fan sites you can dedicated vast quantities of time to this hobby. :DI'm interested to compare other peoples habits. If I had my way I'd probably like to devote 2-3 evenings per week and the occasional Sunday (09:00 - 22:00) but this is just sad isn't it? I think I could easily do this if it weren't for other things on - like studying, seeing mates / g/friend etc.

All facets of the sim - searching, browsing, setting up, planning, housekeeping, flying - probably 28 - 35 hours.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest nels

Wow - Jim I take it you do it for a living though - if not a partial living no?

Guest nels

Yeah I'd say I'm about 25 - 30 hours a week too.

Me, I'm trying to cut back. :DI am spending more time designing than flying to be honest.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yeah, when you run canyons at mach 1.2 to 'unwind' from your other FSX endeavours you know you're using it a lot. ;)30+ hours a week easily, most of it in those hours where only the birds outside are awake.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

15-20 hours per week for me. Most time on Saturdays and Sundays. Autopilot much of the time on Sundays....in Heavies. All during the week, I fly GA Stan

Guest chinga

80 hours a week....tweaking...no flying...just tweaking....forever tweaking. :(Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz2 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardEvga 7950GT 512 mb 158.27 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

Guest martin842

80 hours !!Don

Greetings -Up untill FSX I was spending 50+ hours a week(I'm retired). About 14, or so, was on the forums and other sites, and the rest was *flying*. FSX has been such a poor experience for me that I spend only about 12-15 hours a week----mostly searching AVSIM, and Phil's blog, and tweaking/testing for a cure for the blurries and low frame rates. I'm so disgusted I have lost a lot of interest in FS, and I have diverted all budgeted funds from new hardware and FS addon intentions to a new motorcycle and road trips. What a huge let down from all the hype and pictures that promised the moon!! It's quite obvious most simmers are still with FS9!! But I have a hard time going back after seeing the potential in FSX. There better be a fix by the time the snow falls!!!B. ScottDenver

Around 28 hours a week.2 hours FSX26 hours FS9.Yes I'm retired, my other interest is 'Live for Speed' with its fantastic multiplayer sessions. ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest nels

Martin my FS habits match yours exactly. I feel so guilty once I've landed and parked up at the destination only to check the time and see 4 hours have past.It takes me some amount of time to recover from sacrificing blue sky days to sitting on my PC in front of FS but there is just something that keeps pulling me back.I too would like to think I'm educating myself learning something about aviation and consider myself to be intellectually challenging myself as opposed to sitting watching TV.Such a dilemma.Its so interesting to read other users habits, it helps to stave off my own guilt.Nels

The fix is newer and faster hardware, my friend... I purchased my system below last September ($1600 approx, Canadian) and haven't looked back. The graphic enhancements, (UTX and ASX, mainly) the new aircraft, a few known tweaks and, last week - VoxATC with the AT&T voices - have easily exceeded my initial expectations. Many other folks have experienced this, too - but it does take hardware: it's a hurdle that won't go away. I think wishing, fiddling and looking for answers and fixes on the forum won't do it, Bruce.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.