Sign in to follow this  
coastaldriver

Moving On

Well it was good fun but time to move on. Today I removed and stored all my years of FSX/P3D sim data from my PC. I have moved over to XPlane12. Yes I will miss some models from XPlane but the benefits of the sim, its architecture and fidelity is now at a stage where to me it is the future of computer flight simulation. 

I had no issues with P3DV5 I thought it was excellent, never any problems ran smooth as silk and a very nice flight simming experience but I came to the view it had reached the end of the road development improvement wise as far as amateur or hobbyists were concerned. I am not sure we will see future versions that were so friendly or catered so well for legacy material. 

Anyway no regrets. 

Ok,

Thanks for letting me know, I for one will sleep better tonight from knowing this.

(Kiwi taking the word not allowed out of an Aussie)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully you will be able to teach us - who are contemplating the same move - how to move our Orbx and others - Xp11 stuff

across - that is - if it can be done - or even if they can be used  - or point us to a generous bank manager as we start all over again - acknowledging - flightsim.to and their new freebies 😉

Anzac1977 - yeah sleep well. I have done a lot of developmental work (model rebuilds etc), scenery and paints etc etc for P3D over the years. This is just to let folk know moved on not doing anymore P3D stuff! 

Jaytee - Look I have to say I can see no reason for any ORBX stuff at all in XP12. The out of the box scenery from Laminar is first class all over the planet as far as I can see so far. Laminar have been carefully adding in all that community scenery builders work as stock into XP12 (There is a list of acknowledgements in their documentation and on the XPlane web site - that amounts to some 1500 individuals!) I had started to add in a few places from XP11 but in the end except where there was a significant improvement (a few small out of the way airports) all those addons were not needed either! Some places actually looked worse not better than the default airports. It is very impressive scenery wise and dare I say in a lot of areas equal to or much better than THAT SIM!. I have got rid of that one too!

• Like 2

@coastaldriver, could you not just keep P3DV5 and use both sims? Too much time and storage space? Just wondering why nuke P3D? Someone said sims are like women, ones not enough and two is one too many.

• Like 2

Vic green

Moving to XP is certainly different. I would need extremely good reasons to give up P3D and all the money I’ve spend on it over the years. I’m nowhere near close to making that decision as I’m very happy with my current setup.

Years of experience gleaned editing AFCADs, adding and refining AIG Ai, having the aircraft that are dear to me is my top priority. Starting from scratch in another sim doesn’t bear thinking about. 🙁

The Colimata Concorde is a reasonable product but cannot compare to the existing 32-bit version from FS Labs and the imminent 64-bit one is just going to tie me to P3D for eternity.

@coastaldriver, enjoy the switch. It is a very different interface and sim to P3D but there should be enough quality there to keep you busy for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yeah I would do the same, or better I am actually doing. Keeping v5 in parralel to XP11 and 12 and MSFS. What makes me curious is what made you do the step now @coastaldriver? As far as my tests went on an amd rig xp12 is far from ready yet atm. I would def do parallel service at least for the next half year. And who knows when v6 drops in 😉

cheers T.

Moved to MSFS 2 weeks ago. So far, so good, not looking back at all. PMDG, Fenix, GSX, stunning visuals, PSXT Online Traffic with AIG models and historical AI movements data...

It's been almost 8 years with P3D as before that, it were 12 years with FS2004. Yes, I did skip FSX completely 🙂

Anyway, I'm on a lookout for P3Dv6. I hope it will be something really brand new. 

PS. Yes, I will be missing FSL until the day Fenix would bring the full line of model into MSFS

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Moved to MSFS 2 weeks ago. So far, so good, not looking back at all. PMDG, Fenix, GSX, stunning visuals, PSXT Online Traffic with AIG models and historical AI movements data...

It's been almost 8 years with P3D as before that, it were 12 years with FS2004. Yes, I did skip FSX completely 🙂

Anyway, I'm on a lookout for P3Dv6. I hope it will be something really brand new. 

PS. Yes, I will be missing FSL until the day Fenix would bring the full line of model into MSFS

Good to know, but wrong forum.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Well it was good fun but time to move on. Today I removed and stored all my years of FSX/P3D sim data from my PC. I have moved over to XPlane12. Yes I will miss some models from XPlane but the benefits of the sim, its architecture and fidelity is now at a stage where to me it is the future of computer flight simulation. 

I had no issues with P3DV5 I thought it was excellent, never any problems ran smooth as silk and a very nice flight simming experience but I came to the view it had reached the end of the road development improvement wise as far as amateur or hobbyists were concerned. I am not sure we will see future versions that were so friendly or catered so well for legacy material. 

Anyway no regrets. 

I did the same last week however, I've been a huge XP fan for years bur P3d was becoming less and less relevant to my needs, GA low and slow.

I will take issue on one point with you, XP is far superior than plain vanilla when using Ortho, or even, if you really must, Orbx TE.

Having purchased P3D V3, V4 and V5 at $200 for each release none have frankly been worth it for what you get out of the box. I have spent a lot of additional dollars for ORBX, PMDG, Active Sky, etc. along with numerous other airport addons to improve the P3D visual experience. I picked up XP11 for a change of pace and at $59 it was worth it even in the plain vanilla format. If P3D V6 were to be released tomorrow it would have to be a completely new evolutional experience and not just another patch of the existing platform to justify another $200 purchase price.

LM does not need the civilian consumer market going forward and that is good in the fact other developers such as DCS World, X-Plane and MSFS have the opportunity to develop new products with new ideas and thrive in the consumer marketplace. I appreciate the fact LM improved on the old Flight Simulator product and have countless hours on it with no regrets.

Gary Stewart

59 minutes ago, simfan1983 said:

Good to know, but wrong forum.

Well then technically shouldn't this be in the XP forum? 

I was wondering when I saw the post  if the mods would shut it down or move it the same way that would have happened if someone came in to speak about giving up P3D for MSFS.  Speaking of which I personally find it Ironic you have no problem with the OP stating why they moved on to XP but the other poster stating they did the same for MSFS is somehow an issue.  🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Well, as I see it, there's a lot of life still left in my P3D config, and I am also enjoying XP11 and still tinkering with MSFS as an occasional curiosity.  XP12 is in my Christmas stocking already.  Makes no sense to me personally to "move on", but branching out has been rewarding.

At any rate, as this is morphing into another sim vs sim debate, we'll consider the OP's purpose for posting served, and close this one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case