Sign in to follow this  
Zoolander

This helped: switching between windowed- and full-screen (FSX)

Guest dswo

I usually run in full-screen mode, but sometimes I need to switch temporarily to windowed mode. Switching back has been a problem, and usually end up restarting FSX.The following seems to help:1. Open fsx.cfg in Notepad or similar editor.2. Scroll down to the [Display] section3. Add a new line, under [Display], with the following text:ForceFullScreenVSync=FALSE // default is trueYour mileage may vary, but it's made a big difference for me.System: Core2Duo E6600, 2 Mb RAM, WinXP Pro, Nvidia 7600GS (512Mb).

Interesting find. I have been using the vsync setting in my video card control panel (might just do the same thing), but it does seem to have removed the issues from going back and forth from full-screen.I also noticed that FSX and vsync does not seem to impact the simulation as much as other games. Have you found the same?

-Todd

Guest RonB49

Hi David,What section does this variable go into? Your text within the square brackets [ ] disappeared. I believe that the forum software causes this problem.If you wish to use brackets around your texr, such as: [Your Text], then click the checkbox marked:"Check here if you want to format your message in plain text. Use for posting code snipets."in th Message Format section of "Your Message" form. There is also a way to do it with some control characters but it never works for me.R-

Guest dswo

>What section does this variable go into? Your text within the>square brackets [ ] disappeared.The Vsync line should go in the [Display] section of FSX.cfg.

Guest dswo

More testing: this doesn't work as well as I thought. Sorry, gents.

So far, so good on my system, but I set it in the video card, not in the app. I don't know if this makes a difference. I hope it the problem, but the fact that yours did not makes me think I have just been *lucky* so far. Will continue to test.

-Todd

I am still hoping to find a fix for this bug. Apparently is of sufficient complexity that ACES put a note in the readme about this. The readme solution is to restart FSX which stinks. I assume who ever decided to leave that as a solution doesn't have an appreciation of the number of times we have to leave FSX to tweak the darn thing.Bob...

Guest dswo

>I am still hoping to find a fix for this bug. Apparently is>of sufficient complexity that ACES put a note in the readme>about this. The readme solution is to restart FSX which>stinks. I assume who ever decided to leave that as a solution>doesn't have an appreciation of the number of times we have to>leave FSX to tweak the darn thing.Same thoughts here, Bob. Will start a new thread soon; there has been progress in other areas, so maybe a combined effort will yield results on this one too. I notice, by the way, that we have the same video card. Have you tried the nHancer tip to reduce blurries? http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=23202&page=I've only been using it a few hours (spread over several days), but so far I'm happy.

I wonder if the blurries are related to the power of the video card. I have not been following the threads, but I do know folks are having issues. I know I have no problems with blurries and have great frame rates with FSX.btw: anyone wanting to get in a few flights, just email, PM me, or find me on teamspeak @ digitalthemepark.servegame.com.

-Todd

Sorry if this is not in regards to the same issue, but as a new FSX user when I CTRL-ALT-DEL to minimize the sim, as soon as I even try to close the Taskmanager window, FSX "springs back" to full-screen mode (I run dual mon.). It's as if FSX is "commandeering" my screens. Has anyone found a work-around for this? I also have noticed that sometimes if I don't try to close out the Taskmanager window, I can start another app (like ProcessMon) with no issues. I have tried using TweakUI to prevent other apps from stealing the focus, but I still have this annoying issue of FSX wanting to "snap" back to full-screen mode after using a CTRL_ALT DEL to minimize it. Then, sometimes it will try to lock my 'puter but eventually come out of it (maybe the extra ram helps??) Anyone? Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Hav you tried using Alt-ENTER or Alt-TAB instead of Ctrl-Alt-Del? Alt-Enter will switch between full screen(3D) and window screen(2D). Alt-TAB will switch to the next task you have running on the desktop.

-Todd

>Hav you tried using Alt-ENTER or Alt-TAB instead of>Ctrl-Alt-Del? Alt-Enter will switch between full screen(3D)>and window screen(2D). Alt-TAB will switch to the next task>you have running on the desktop.Hey Todd, Thanks for the reply. Yes I use ALT-ENTER to undock my panel windows. ALT-TAB really won't work because many times I can't even get to the app to start it - FSX just snaps back to full screen mode. I don't really want to alt-enter, all the time, because then my panel windows need to be re-adjusted on return to full-screen mode but, it just might be the only solution. I have to say that if this new behavior is coded into FSX, I wonder why ACES would do such a thing? - I've never seen an app try to "dominate" the focus like this. Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Greetings Kendal,I see you have the Saitek Throttle. Is that the new one they released recently? If so, how do you like it.

-Todd

I've found that if I always exit the simulator in windowed mode, which causes it to start back up in windowed mode, it will switch from windowed to full screen and back much easier. It's still slow but but it doesn't hang, requiring a restart of FSX. Also, if I want to switch applications while running FSX I'll go to windowed mode before switching and it goes and comes without hanging. Using the shutdown in windowed mode method seems to allow switching apps in full screen but it's slow but doesn't hang.

Guest Custer

On my rig FSX always hangs when switching from window mode to full screen. I hope this problem can be overcome. I need to go back and forth in order to undock screens and place them on another monitor and then I go back to full screen. This is going to be very disappointing when Reality XP is going to release their GNS 530 for FSX soon. VERY disappointing.