Sign in to follow this  
emisary

upgrade pc hardware or not

On this moment I am having an older i9-9900k and 2080ti.
Tripple 24" 1980*1200 monitors (60hz).
Somehow I have flights that a re pretty choppy, so I wonder if an upgrade is something good.

I did read and viewed several hardware reviews and I came to the conclusion that the 13900k is beast of a processor.
I also have to live with the electricity company. Electricity is nearly 1 euro for 1 kwh (like in in most spots).
The 13900k is also a beast in consuming electricity.
I have seen that for instance the 5800x3d from amd is a nice contender too.
Both lighter on electricity but also a bit down on fps. But what I saw is that the AMD CPU is delivering nice frames.
And I wonder if I did read that correct. But also on triple setup? Or do I need to replace the GPU as well for a 3080/3090 or 7900XT(x)?
BTW I am slowly leaning towards a tripple 27" 1440p monitor but with a higher refreshrate (But this is future music.).

Can somebody shine some extra light? Wether I see it correct, or wether I am talking 100% nonsense.

Thanks ahead.

RobB

Hi Rob,

You didn't mention what sim you are using which is important.

In my case, I am running MSFS with a i9-9900K (@5.0Ghz) and an AMD 6800XT graphics card in 4K resolution. This is about 25% more pixels per frame than your triple 2K displays.

Pretty consistently, getting 50-60 FPS and no stuttering. My "secret" is a bit of upscaling. In MSFS, the graphics render is set to 90% of 4K and letting the GPU upscale. 

In your case, an upgrade to RTX3080 and a little upscaling will likely get you very good performance. 

Also, be sure to exempt MSFS and any other flightsim software from real-time scanning by your anti-virus solution. 

Good luck.

Edited by hs118

Hello,

Jeez that was stupid not mentioning what I was flying. It is MSFS.
Thank you for the good tips.
That means there is still some life in the system.

You are using 1 monitor or more? (size) (I was not aware that a 1980*1200 monitor is 2k. Because that is just above 1980*1080.)
What I also saw was 10-25% usage of cpu and gpu. Even though it is read from an m.2 ssd.

RobB

33 minutes ago, emisary said:

Hello,

Jeez that was stupid not mentioning what I was flying. It is MSFS.
Thank you for the good tips.
That means there is still some life in the system.

You are using 1 monitor or more? (size) (I was not aware that a 1980*1200 monitor is 2k. Because that is just above 1980*1080.)
What I also saw was 10-25% usage of cpu and gpu. Even though it is read from an m.2 ssd.

RobB

I am using 1 43" 3840x2160 monitor, 8,294,400 pixels per frame. In your case, with 3x1980x1200 monitors, 7,128,00 pixels per frame. So closer to 16% more pixels per frame on my 6 year old system (instead of 25% more).

If you are only seeing 25% usage of your GPU when flying, there could be something else going on to cause the stuttering. There is a piece of software called HWMonitor that can give you real time status of your CPU and GPU to verify. Checking HWMonitor (which runs in a window on top of MSFS) when you are seeing the choppiness may give you more insight.

Let's see what others from the community may have to say. Again, good luck.

It's challenging to know when to do an update.  Just this past month I took advantage of christmas sales and went from an 8700K to a 12900k.  I was always told a good rule of thumb with video cards is to at least wait one generation before upgrading, so for me with my 1080Ti, I could have looked when the 3090 series came out.  I didn't due to the stuipd prices they were running at and am now waiting to jump on a 4090 when in stock at MSRP.  If power is a concern, the new AMD XTX is not as power hungry but is very good with test results compared to the 4080 series.

I went with the 12900k because it was on sale at a good discount vs. the 13900k.

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I also have an Asrock X470 mainboard with a 3700x as homeserver.
I could switch the 9900k for homeserver and then replace the 3700X with an 5800x3d.
And then either swap the 2080ti for an 3090 ti or 7900xt(x)
Is that an better option?

RobB

3 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

am now waiting to jump on a 4090 when in stock at MSRP

Some MSI 4090 cards became available at Best Buy Canada yesterday at MSRP. I grabbed one. Hopefully this is a sign of improvement in availability. Keep an eye out!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)