Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Are you a skilled scroll-wheeling pilot?

Are you a skilled scroll-wheeling pilot?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. When you adjust flight instruments using a mouse scroll wheel, what usually happens?

• I usually adjust the instrument in the WRONG direction at first.
    • I usually adjust the instrument in the RIGHT direction from the outset.
    • My initial, directional success rate is about 50-50.

Personally, I adjust the scroll wheel in the wrong direction about 80 percent of the time.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

50% of the time I zoom in or out.

• Like 9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

8 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I usually have no problem with the direction of the adjustment, but the zoom issue is a whole different story. In fact, I had to disable scroll-wheel zoom altogether because it was driving me nuts 😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Strange that. 50% of the time I scroll out or in.

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I still struggle with click spots for me.. especially in the Fenix trying to adjust the external lights, it’s like I can’t find the magic spot for a solid 5 seconds at times which is long in reality.

If anyone has a solution for me I’d be all ears.

Edited by Carts85

I struggle with switching between the 737 and the Fenix, because the VS knob goes opposite direction in those.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tymk said:

I usually have no problem with the direction of the adjustment, but the zoom issue is a whole different story. In fact, I had to disable scroll-wheel zoom altogether because it was driving me nuts 😉

That may well have been the first thing I changed when I installed MSFS. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they linked zoom to the mouse wheel.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I also am driven crazy trying to adjust switches with the scroll wheel only to have the zoom function kick in and throw off or delay the desired adjustments. I would disable the zoom function from the scroll wheel, except that the keyboard does not seem to allow the finer tuning of the zoom level that the scroll wheel allows. I would love to find out that there is a good workaround. 
Rich

• Like 1

Just now, rlashier said:

I also am driven crazy trying to adjust switches with the scroll wheel only to have the zoom function kick in and throw off or delay the desired adjustments. I would disable the zoom function from the scroll wheel, except that the keyboard does not seem to allow the finer tuning of the zoom level that the scroll wheel allows. I would love to find out that there is a good workaround. 
Rich

I use the hat switch on my yoke or stick to zoom and I have adjusted the speed at which it zooms in the menu somehere. That's my compromise. I then also use the hat switch right command to reset the view back to my default setting.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Thanks Jazz for your reply. I’m currently using my yoke’s hat switch for pan views such as were done with FSX  and P3d and want to continue to use the hat switch in this manner. Glad it’s a good option for you. 
Rich

I usually adjust it in the proper direction, but my biggest problem is missing the dial or whatever, and accidentally zooming in or out.

Some planes like the A310 need larger "zones" for their switches etc.  For example the A310's lights, sometimes you have to fiddle around quite a bit to get the landing lights or taxi lights where they need to go.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

7 minutes ago, rlashier said:

Thanks Jazz for your reply. I’m currently using my yoke’s hat switch for pan views such as were done with FSX  and P3d and want to continue to use the hat switch in this manner. Glad it’s a good option for you. 
Rich

The main point I was making was that you can adjust the speed of the zoom somewhere in the menu. This should adjust the rate at which it zooms when you use any button or key. I just didn't know if you knew that or not. It may be that you can't get it to zoom slow enough where you feel like you have the control that you desire even by slowing it down but it may be that you do. It works for me.

Edited by Jazz

Thanks again Jazz. I will look for that adjustment.  I want to be able to adjust the zoom level in small increments. 

I'm with Jazz - disabled the mouse zoom and put it on the "rudder" toggle switch on my yoke - hardly ever need to adjust rudder trim.  Probably way to slow learning, but realised recently how useful the scroll wheel is for the PMDG 737 - many of the overhead switches that do my head in trying to get them to move up or down in multiple steps are actually much easier if you drive with the scroll wheel.