Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

i9 13900KF + RTX4090 owners MSFS settings

1 hour ago, Keirtt said:

Did you read my post above? Do you have frame generation turned on?

Yes I did. I'm not sure where should turn in on? In developer mod?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

16 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Yes I did. I'm not sure where should turn in on? In developer mod?

In your settings. Keep in mind the dev mode fps counter won’t show the correct fps with frame gen turned on. You’ll need an external counter like the nvidia one. I didn’t realize that at first and was wondering why with my hardware I was getting half of what other people were getting in videos. 

On another topic does anyone with this kind of hardware limit fps with the ncp? I tried setting it just below my refresh rate and it just made it stutter. Keeping it set to half my refresh rate in the sim with vsync does a pretty good job even though it’s still showing 100fps. No idea how that happens but whatever. Turning it off seems to induce stutters. 

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Check the video linked above.

I'll look.  Though isn't the real limiting factor the quality of the lenses?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I'll look.  Though isn't the real limiting factor the quality of the lenses?

According to the video it even improves the image outside the sweet spot - at the expense of FPS of course but the 4090 can handle it.

23 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

According to the video it even improves the image outside the sweet spot - at the expense of FPS of course but the 4090 can handle it.

I tried 200% with DLSS on and off (TAA) and with my 4080 it is NOT viable in big cities especially with payware airports and lots of weather (my test is FT KBOS with fsltl traffic and multiple cloud layers).

With TAA fps are awful - barely 10.  With DLSS quality the clarity is actually quite good.  A lot better than at 100% render.  I did not know it was possible to change the render scale and that it would have such a dramatic effect.  Even at TAA the clarity (in the sweet spot only) is probably as good as my 1440p monitor maybe a touch less.  With DLSS 200% I feel the sweet spot clarity is about 1080p monitor - so really nice.  In Boston area (except NO AI traffic) I was getting about 18-22 fps.  I think I could swing 200% in a rural area.  When exiting the sim it CTD though hehe.  I'm going to attempt 150% with DLSS Quality.

EDIT:  150% and DLSS quality is slightly better than 100%.  It appears to be a good balance in fps.  I got about 30 taking off from boston instead of 22-24 at 200%.  I think if I fly rural I'd go to 200%.  But any city flying would be just 100% because I know I can run all the addons at my "worst case" airport hehe.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I tried 200% with DLSS on and off (TAA) and with my 4080 it is NOT viable in big cities especially with payware airports and lots of weather (my test is FT KBOS with fsltl traffic and multiple cloud layers).

With TAA fps are awful - barely 10.  With DLSS quality the clarity is actually quite good.  A lot better than at 100% render.  I did not know it was possible to change the render scale and that it would have such a dramatic effect.  Even at TAA the clarity (in the sweet spot only) is probably as good as my 1440p monitor maybe a touch less.  With DLSS 200% I feel the sweet spot clarity is about 1080p monitor - so really nice.  In Boston area (except NO AI traffic) I was getting about 18-22 fps.  I think I could swing 200% in a rural area.  When exiting the sim it CTD though hehe.  I'm going to attempt 150% with DLSS Quality.

EDIT:  150% and DLSS quality is slightly better than 100%.  It appears to be a good balance in fps.  I got about 30 taking off from boston instead of 22-24 at 200%.  I think if I fly rural I'd go to 200%.  But any city flying would be just 100% because I know I can run all the addons at my "worst case" airport hehe.

Yeah, if nothing else it may give people another 6 or 12 months on the G2 before the need to upgrade becomes too overpowering 😄

Ok my latest finding:  monitor  refresh rate 144hz, 32Gigs rolling cache, DLSS quality, 3840x2160, latest nvidia game ready drivers.. And I think I found my PC "nirvana". All msfs settings are to the right and great fps urban or not urban area. Tested over Los Angeles,  Toronto so far excellent results.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Ok my latest finding:  monitor  refresh rate 144hz, 32Gigs rolling cache, DLSS quality, 3840x2160, latest nvidia game ready drivers.. And I think I found my PC "nirvana". All msfs settings are to the right and great fps urban or not urban area. Tested over Los Angeles,  Toronto so far excellent results.  

Nice!  DLSS doesn't work so well with the WT glass stuff Gxxx but you can still use TAA with frame gen and it's just fine in 2D.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Nice!  DLSS doesn't work so well with the WT glass stuff Gxxx but you can still use TAA with frame gen and it's just fine in 2D.

I'm using DX12 beta and DLSS on quality setting. Just flew Cirrus Vision, Bell 206 with 530 everything works great

7 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I'm using DX12 beta and DLSS on quality setting. Just flew Cirrus Vision, Bell 206 with 530 everything works great

I wasn't very clear hehe.  I meant it works fine but the clarity of the G1000/3000 isn't nearly as nice as it is with TAA.  Swap between and you'll see what I mean.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I wasn't very clear hehe.  I meant it works fine but the clarity of the G1000/3000 isn't nearly as nice as it is with TAA.  Swap between and you'll see what I mean.

I know what are you talking. On my old rig it used to be a case. PFD were fuzzy!. It was possible to fly but not clear. Right now on my new rig with RTX4090  it's not a case . I tried every single setting including TAA there is no difference!

19 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I know what are you talking. On my old rig it used to be a case. PFD were fuzzy!. It was possible to fly but not clear. Right now on my new rig with RTX4090  it's not a case . I tried every single setting including TAA there is no difference!

Odd.  With my 4080 it is a large difference.  Is there a new driver I missed?  Which one are you using?  Also what resolution are you running?  I'm only on 1440p - maybe it's a non issue in 4k.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Odd.  With my 4080 it is a large difference.  Is there a new driver I missed?  Which one are you using?  Also what resolution are you running?  I'm only on 1440p - maybe it's a non issue in 4k.

I'm using latest game drivers (not studio) 3840x2160 + Gsync monitor 

I think the problem with, probably all of us, is that we have expectations based on a perception on what we should get in the way of perfromance when we get a new computer. I know I do. When I had my current machine built for me a couple of years ago, based on an RTX3090 and I7 running at 4.8Ghz, I simply assumed that the performance I would get would be interstellar! I set all sliders to the right and then when I was getting awful performance, I mean dire, I was as depressed as hell :biggrin: Only after adjusting the sliders accordingly did I begin to see the errors of my ways :wink: Even now, with my setup, I can't achieve smooth 30fps in some heavy scenarios. I have just accepted that it doesn't matter what machine you are running, I mean it really doesn't, at some point you have to back off the sliders. The other thing I have noticed is that you often read that some guys are actually achieving what they see as perfection, with all sliders to the right bla, blah, but then you read they are running a standard 1080p HD monitor! At the end of the day, it is mostly dependent on your expectations. :wink:

• Like 3

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776