Sign in to follow this  
Guest Funky D

Minor new about Windows XP (sp3) ...

Can't say I'm at all surprised. This, I feel, vindicates the staying power of Windows XP as being a continuing very worthy modern operating system which certainly deserves ongoing support from Microsoft. Currently Vista should be regarded as an alternative rather than as a replacement for XP. Manufacturers and Developers would do well to heed this news.Now, I wonder whether there will soon be a rethink about ways of providing support for DX10 under XP? Despite the protestations of the nae sayers, we all know nothing is impossible in the digital world these days if it is commercially advantageous to provide what the public want.Mike

Guest Funky D

This is nothing new... Service pack 3 and 4 for Windows 2000 were both released after Windows XP. It has nothing to do with popularity... Microsoft is required to keep up support throughout the published product lifecycle (and I'm guessing XP's lifecycle will be extended just as 2000's was, thats where the popularity play comes in). I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 4th service pack for XP as well, or maybe an "update rollout", in the long term.