Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Another lump of coal: PMDG Update [24DEC22]

4 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

The only things that can be "ported" into MSFS are the 3D models and textures.

Its exactly the other way round. Ported 3D models and textures in MSFS immediately are recognized and look old fashioned. Every single Asobo model beats them. But everything else can be ported. Systems, FMS, sound...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

Its exactly the other way round. Ported 3D models and textures in MSFS immediately are recognized and look old fashioned. Every single Asobo model beats them. But everything else can be ported. Systems, FMS, sound...

I think "ported" is being mis-used across the board.

I'm not talking about "copy / pasting" as you seem to be saying above (and which, to some degree, Leonardo did with their MD-82), but rather the fact that much of that work is usable as a base to improve upon rather than starting from scratch.

But even so, thinking that an ESP addon is all but ready-to-go for MSFS is incontrovertibly belied by the time it's taken ALL the devs to bring High Fidelity versions of their previous work to MSFS, along with the glaring lack of feature parity in many cases.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaWu said:

Most probably in January like in october? They tried to ignore EFB and hoped to get away with it but the community made it clear that it’s 2022 and they won’t get away with it. Good luck with January 

How exactly did "the community" make it clear? It sold well apparently and received generally positive reviews even here on AVSIM.
Also how can they ignore EFBs if they had EFBs for years on their aircraft? They could have just ported it over directly from P3D but chose to do a new one from ground up. If that's "ignoring EFBs" for you I can't help you.
And how did they "not get away with it" if what you are actually describing (broken promises, delays over delays, still selling well) is exactly "getting away with it"? You are contradicting yourself over and over again.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

How exactly did "the community" make it clear? It sold well apparently and received generally positive reviews even here on AVSIM.
Also how can they ignore EFBs if they had EFBs for years on their aircraft? They could have just ported it over directly from P3D but chose to do a new one from ground up. If that's "ignoring EFBs" for you I can't help you.
And how did they "not get away with it" if what you are actually describing (broken promises, delays over delays, still selling well) is exactly "getting away with it"? You are contradicting yourself over and over again.

The backlash was loud and clear. But you are clearly a word not allowed so arguing further is a waste of time. Pmdg is only saved by one single fact: monopoly. If FBW hat made a Boeing instead of an Airbus their sales numbers would look different. Besides that Cyberpunk also sold good. Taking sales numbers to determine if a game/addon is good works only in a short run. I actually fly the 738 most of the time but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s the same product that I bought in 2012 and they do not have any competition yet. I am excited to see what bluebird with their 757 & 767 can bring to the table 

Lukas Dalton

4 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Yeah, I feel SOOOO ripped off after having paid $99 for my PMDG 737 in P3D and then getting the much improved MSFS one for free.

You mean you got one variant for free. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You know what?  I got sucked into all of the PMDG hate before I even bought a product.  Listening to some of the vitriol on here, you would think they are a poor developer and they are stealing peoples money, and not delivering updates or something.

I finally decided to take my sheep's brain out of my head, and form my own opinion on them.  I took the plunge and bought the 600 variant at a price that was a steal. 
I was so impressed by how it flew, and the in sim performance, I ended up buying the 800, and then the 700 at sale price, and I don't feel disappointed or ripped off in any way - I love them all, so I have to wonder what some people are on judging by some of the comments

Also, we all know Robert Randazzo tends to give over-long commentary sometimes, but I would rather have this than the very little or no interaction we get from other developers. 
The tone of his statements comes across as well meaning, even if over-long.  So I don't understand the hate.  Maybe it is just the natural mind-set of some people on here.

Anyway, I am enjoying the 737's in the sim.  I can actually hold 60 fps in them in general if I don't fly to some of the bigger under-optimised airports (why is Latin VFR San Diego so bad?).

I also just got the new 737 updates last night.  The second set this month (what poor support :rolleyes:). 

The primary changes: -
1) Continued reductions in code execution latency.
2) Improvements in virtual cockpit model to improve rendering efficiency.
3) Fix for key binding/hardware binding of parking brake lever lock switch.
4) Connected external view game-HUD to improve data display.

Also, the 900 is nearing release.  I may or may not buy it depending on the price, as the model doesn't interest me that much.
And the flight tablet people are getting hung up about is due around the time of the 900 release.  It will be a 'nice to have', but it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the 737 models one slightest bit.

Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone - including the grouches! :biggrin:   
2023 will be the best year yet in the sim as the momentum builds.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

37 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

And the flight tablet people are getting hung up about is due around the time of the 900 release.  It will be a 'nice to have', but it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the 737 models one slightest bit.

You conveniently left out this part of the announcement:

"It is looking more and more as though we will release one function at a time on the UFT, in order to put focus on individual functions in the testing process

7 hours ago, bendead said:

As for the real plane, the overhead is a mess, with half dozen type of switches

It's beautiful. It's what a real airliner should look like. It sounds good when you click all the switches too.

The Airbus looks like the interface for my microwave oven 🤣

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I've got a 45" EFB called Google, Simbrief, LIttlenavmap and Pilot2ATC.  Having a ball with the 737-700 and BBJ flying all over the place.  Get on with enjoying the most amazing flight sim 737 ever.  Doesn't really both me if I'm saving a few FPS not having EFB in the cockpit view and having to squint at it through my glasses.  🙂

Edited by RobF2
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DaWu said:

Pmdg is only saved by one single fact: monopoly. If FBW hat made a Boeing instead of an Airbus their sales numbers would look different.

I'm not sure this is true.  I've never flown an Airbus, but from what I've heard from folks who do, the FBW strikes me as similar to the Zibo 737 in XP - which is to say, good work at a price you certainly can't argue with, but not exactly on the same level as the payware.  I do fly 737s, and in the case of the Zibo, you're missing many advanced FMC functions, basically all HGS functionality, and you've got a pitch/power relationship and thrust/pitch coupling that are much farther from reality than the PMDG rendition is... to name a few differences. 

It's difficult to imagine that a freeware team, as dedicated as they might be, will have the same amount of time, expertise, and access to tech data available to them as a professional software development house that will ultimately realize a nice payoff for all that effort.

I imagine there are simmers out there for whom a significantly inferior version of a 737 would be acceptable if it were free, but how many of those folks were going to buy a payware version in the first place?  Conversely, of the folks who place enough value on having a high-fidelity sim rendition of the aircraft to buy it at all, how many would be willing to have an inferior version just to save a few bucks?  I mean, none of the payware aircraft in MSFS are all that pricey.

The vitriol against PMDG confuses me.  It's pretty impossible to argue that they deliver a poor quality product.  If it's not for you, isn't it easy enough to just... not buy it?  I mean, golf isn't for me... So I don't buy golf clubs.  I also don't get on sports forums and complain about Titleist.  😁

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Andrew Crowley

19 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

"It is looking more and more as though we will release one function at a time on the UFT, in order to put focus on individual functions in the testing process

I put the main points.  I didn't want to quote the whole post.  I thought with your stellar intelligence you might get that.  Still, as long as it was 'convenient' for you - for me it it is no great shakes!  :biggrin:

• Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I have the 700 and the 800. I enjoy them both. They are excellent. But I do want an EFB. Purely because there are so many options in the FMC that finding the one you want and finding where it is located is such a clunky chore with pages upon pages to scroll through. The one that gets me time and time again is switching lbs to Kgs!😃

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

....which translates as "we are being careful, and making sure that everything works correctly". I know that the conspiracy theorists will see it more as "we love watching you guys get angry, so we are deliberately stalling development so that we can get a few extra kicks", but there is not much they can do about that in the age of instant gratification.

• Like 8

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Stearmandriver said:

I do fly 737s, and in the case of the Zibo, you're missing many advanced FMC functions, basically all HGS functionality, and you've got a pitch/power relationship and thrust/pitch coupling that are much farther from reality than the PMDG rendition is... to name a few differences.

Oh wow, I didn't know the Zibo is behind the PMDG 737 in the areas you mentioned above.  And since you are a real life 737 pilot, I consider your opinion to have more weight. Thanks for sharing this with us @Stearmandriver!

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

6 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Porting is a myth.

Then why did the EXACT same PMDG P3D LNAV issues appear in MSFS?

Edited by Greggy_D
  • Like 1