Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

Another lump of coal: PMDG Update [24DEC22]

3 hours ago, Jazz said:
11 hours ago, bendead said:

As for the real plane, the overhead is a mess, with half dozen type of switches

It's beautiful. It's what a real airliner should look like. It sounds good when you click all the switches too.

This video shows the startup procedure of a 737 thanks to the overhead panel... 😂

Edited by mrueedi
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, mrueedi said:

This video shows the startup procedure of a 737... 😂

HAHAHA 😂

8 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

This video the startup procedure of a 737 thanks to the overhead panel... 😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

4 hours ago, Jazz said:

It's beautiful. It's what a real airliner should look like.

On a 707, I am sure, but on a plane that will be delivered brand new in 2030 and beyond, it feels completely dated 

15 minutes ago, bendead said:

On a 707, I am sure, but on a plane that will be delivered brand new in 2030 and beyond, it feels completely dated 

Well I love it. It has character. I think the 737 NG is the perfect balance between old and new. Not too much automation but with glass screens that give you all you need to make it just the right amount of easy and loads of switches and lights to make you feel like a big kid again.

I enjoy flying the airbus and think it a fascinating machine but it's just too damned boring and easy after a while. It always just feels like I'm putting my grub in the oven or turning the dishwasher on before watching a flying video 🤣

Nah, give me the 737 any day. It always feels alive somehow.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

11 hours ago, bendead said:

As for the real plane, the overhead is a mess, with half dozen type of switches..

There is a very simple reason for the diversity of switch types. Pilots can tell by feel (of the shape and type) if they are operating the correct control without actually looking at the panel so they can keep looking outside of the airplane.

• Like 3

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

9 minutes ago, bendead said:

Agree with you on the dated feeling....however, its fully functional and completely familiar for tens of thousands 737 pilots.  Changing something that has worked almost perfectly for decades just because it feels or looks dated are not reasons aircraft manufacturers change things.

The cost to change, for example, the switches on the overhead to pushbuttons (ala Airbus) to update the look/feel of the cockpit would cost Boeing/Airlines billions in total cost (engineering, retooling, building, testing, retrofitting existing fleets, cost of training for pilots/maintenance, etc).

Its obvious the Boeing agreed that the old 737 switch methodology could be updated when they designed all the aircraft following the 737, the 747-400, 757/767, 777, 787. 

And imagine if a big customer (like SWA) demanded you actually make a silly PFD/ND simulated display just so you didn't have to train/certify 1000's of pilots on how the new PFD/ND looked and felt.  They've done it before....
6kklPk.jpg

Can't even imagine how much this cost back then.  I could see SWA coming to Boeing after a switch to button conversion... "Hey, we don't want to retrain all our pilots to push a button vs flipping a switch...is there a way in the software that you can make the button look like a switch?" 🤔

I hear ya about the look/feel....But I personally like the look/feel and happy that when I jump in a 737, I'm not asking myself (like I'm sure a lot of Airbus Sim pilots do)..."Am I in a 319, 320, 321, 330, 340?" 🙂 ....yes cockpit commonality is great, and while the Airbus fleet may not be that dated...but it sure can get 🥱

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Lump of coal? Nice click bait here. I happen to really enjoy the PMDG planes, with or without flaws, features etc.

• Like 11

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414---FSS E175+P2006T---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C-22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

4 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Then why did the EXACT same PMDG P3D LNAV issues appear in MSFS?

NEVER said that Asset Re-Use doesn't occur, did I? In fact, in another post, I said it's a GOOD IDEA to avoid re-inventing the wheel...

And PMDG themselves have described how they're doing exactly that to effectively feed product development across both sims.

The problem is the simple minded leap of "logic" from there to the sage assertions that bringing an addon from ESP to MSFS is not much more than a copy/paste with a new installer.

Have you read of a single developer praising the ease of re-building ESP addons for release in MSFS? Nope, I know you haven't.

Have you noticed re-built ESP addons coming fast and furious from any developer? Nope, I know you haven't.

Have you noticed High Fidelity re-built addons coming to market faster than scratch-built addons? Nope, I know you haven't.

And finally, have you noticed any developer praising the ease of High Fidelity addon development in MSFS? Nope, I know you haven't.

Yet the in the face of all those incontrovertible truths, there still remain, incredibly, a herd of people who think PMDG, Just Flight, Leonardo, et al, are just sitting back letting the cash roll in on their "ports" of ESP addons. SMH...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Farlis said:

You mean you got one variant for free. 😉

True in the sense that I didn't get an -800 AND -900.

But it's ALSO true that I got a -600, -700, -700 BDSF, and my highly prized 6,000nm globe trotting BBJ 1, plus a few simoleons store credit left over.

For me, that math works just fine. 🙂

8 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

You conveniently left out this part of the announcement:

"It is looking more and more as though we will release one function at a time on the UFT, in order to put focus on individual functions in the testing process

This is what they should've done all along, for sure.

But now that they're actually doing it, you're still throwing shade...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well I love it. It has character. I think the 737 NG is the perfect balance between old and new. Not too much automation but with glass screens that give you all you need to make it just the right amount of easy and loads of switches and lights to make you feel like a big kid again.

This is about the most accurate description of operating a 737 that I've ever read.  😉

Most folks in this thread are probably already aware, but there's a really good reason that the overhead panel on modern 737s up to the Max look basically the same as the Jurassics, and it's not that Boeing is lazy or old fashioned.  It actually took an enormous amount of extra work and cost to maintain this much commonality, but they did it, because customers (the airlines) demanded it.  The entire 737 family, from the -100 through the upcoming Max10, shares a single pilot type rating.  A pilot trained on one generation can, with a very small amount of differences training vs an entire qual cycle, fly any other generation.  They can also remain qualed to fly multiple generations at once, whereas if separate type ratings were required, they would not, since I don't know of an airline that is allowed or willing to maintain dual quals for the average line pilot.

But so many airlines that operated previous versions of 737s told Boeing they'd only buy new versions if the single-type commonality could be maintained, that Boeing basically had no choice.

My entire training cycle as a new hire years ago was in NG sims.  I saw a -400 sim exactly once, for about 30 minutes... And then guess what my first OE flight in an actual aircraft ended up being in?  If you look at pictures of these two cockpits, it seems impossible at first that they're essentially the same aircraft.  But it worked out fine of course, because... they really are.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

12 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

edit nvm retract.

Edited by jbdbow1970

11 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

But now that they're actually doing it, you're still throwing shade...

Silly me, I bought this plane with the understanding that PMDG would make - in a timely fashion, or at least with a timeline - good on their promises to fix glaring issues such as the lack of simbrief integration, jpeg low-rez textures, and an EFB. Progress on the EFB seems to be going at the speed of molasses, the other two seem to have vanished from the agenda entirely.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

lack of simbrief integration

ok   must be  missing  some  thing  that Iam not  doing  correctly,  when i enter  the  flight plan request  it  brings  up  the  simbrief flight  plans  that  i had  made  before    and  than  it  loads  the  details  in the  fmc.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg