Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Phooey on Blurries! One last Chance!

To add to the confusion-I am running all the above except Cargo Pilot on a 4 year old machine with Vista. Before sp1 never saw blurries. After the sp1 official release I started getting some. I also started getting crashes and finally a non recoverable activation error. I ended up having to reinstall my operating system and everything from scratch. After doing so now I have no blurries and no crashes...P3.2 ghz, nvidia 7600, 2048 ramhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

One thing I found to check is that in the Other settings section under the 3D settings in the CCC make sure the "Support DXT Textures" is checked. I never had blurries, but when I recently updated my drivers to 7.7 I started getting them. I was just abot to go back to 7.6, when I noticed that setting some how got unchecked. When I put it back on the blurries went away! Just something else to check!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Well, to add a little more fuel to the fire.I just installed the newer 162.18 forceware drivers for the 8800GTX (XP 32bit).Two discoveries: 1. nhancer will not work. I tried this with what I believe was an earlier 160 series driver and got the same results so removed the driver and went back to the 158.22 drivers where nhancer worked flawlessly. I used this tool for my video card setup, particularly for the Negative LOD clamp which removed shimmering. I retained my 162.18 drivers, removed nhancer and used the nTune utility for setup.2. I have had the mipBias=6 entry in my fsx.cfg file in the hope that it would cure blurries as it seems to for some folks. I discovered with the new drivers that regardless of what I did, fences shimmered like nobodies business with this entry. I removed it and the shimmers were gone. I then replaced it and made the settin mipbias=4 and shimmers were gone again (much like the old FS9 settings). This makes me wonder if the negative clamp works with nTune.I like to imagine the blurries are a little bit better now, although I have not tested that theory enough to make it credible yet. Some are definitely still there, but possibly not quite so evident.Ironically, this is somewhat just the opposite of the recommendations for the earlier drivers. Next, I will play with nTune a bit, possibly remove the clamp and see what happens.The search goes on (and on, and on).RTHEdit: Went back into ntune and discovered that the negative clamp had returned to "allow". It will not hold the clamp. Seems that I have read this from others with the older drivers as well. nhancer seems to be a must for this implementation, but I can't get it to work with the newer drivers without an error message every time I make a change. (See my hardware post on nhancer questions). This pretty well tells us that there is nothing new with the exception that nhancer will not work with the 160 series drivers (at least on my system).

With the 162.18 drivers, I do see improvement regarding blurries. Started a flight from KLWB to KORD in the Eaglesoft Citation CJ1 1.5, but gave up approaching KORD with everything maxed out due to low framerates.Just made a flight in the PMDG Express B1900D from KLWB to KCLT and textures behaved reasonably well. Not perfect, but were much more stable than they had been. Most noticable is that aircrft textures immediately responded throughout the flight when switched to spot view. Don't know yet whether this is just the bird in question, or a break through. Ground textures and roads were acceptable though some degeneration to roads (UT) took place, but still acceptable and equal to or a bit sharper than the UT roads in FS9. Now to see if this holds or hopefully improves some more, and a try with a faster bird on a longer flight particularly into high density locations with sliders reduced a bit.A few items that I do not completely understand:1. With the control panel setting provisions included with the drivers for Settings>Advanced>GeForce8800GTX, nothing is retained when settings are adjusted. It is useless. A second peek after trying to make settings will reveal that everything went back to default settings where just about everything is turned off. I know this was true for some individual settings in some past driver versions, but for the 162.18 near as I can tell it is true for everything.2. Nhancer will not work reliably with these drivers. Any adjustment to settings results in error messages. I have a post under the hardware link on this site regarding this.3. NTuner is the only utility I have found which allows setting adjustments. However, even with this utility, global settings will not hold and return to defaults exactly like the driver included control panel provisions. Profiles for FS9 and FSX hold, and I am ASSUMING that they are working. In any case, things look better.4. In the fsx.cfg file, the MipBias=6 edit is repeatedly removed automatically when ntuner is implemented as per step 3 above. I haven't figured out exactly what item does this or when it takes place. Some of the time it is retained for a while, then when I check back, it has been deleted without me doing anything. Even while this edit is still briefly present, shimmers on fences are terrible in spite of the clamp selection in the ntuner fsx profile. By adjusting it to MipBias=4, the shimmers go away as long as it briefly remains, and are also gone after it is removed which makes sense. In any case, again things are improved and I never really saw any difference with this edit which has improved the blurrie bit for some.Seems to me that this might be at least a hint that the blurrie bit is video card/driver related, and that hardware and/or FSX itself may not be the problem. However, with the variety of what we are reading, guess it could be a combination of things.Any input regarding the scenario sure would be appreciated.Respectfully:RTH

Did some more flights over the weekend using the SF260, 737pic, ultralight etc....The ultralight and the SF260 performed at about 15-25 FPS flying around KSEA without a hint of blurries, unlike the PIC 737 which seems to overload my system and now crashes it: on a flight from KSEA to KSFO it crashed while nearing KSFO after the blurries hit, it frose and then CTD'd. Flying in less dense areas does not cause a problem, so I would have to agree this may be a driver issue coupled with overloading the system. The 7900GS seemed to handle the situation better for me without blurring and since different drivers were used for that card it could be more evidence of a driver issue.As far as nHancer, I'm using that as well and had a problem a few weeks ago after updating drivers for the 7900GS where I lost the list of defaults and the window came up a little strange, but after an un-re install it worked without a hitch. Using the 163.11 beta drivers and seems to work fine with those. Ian.

Hello Ian:For other reasons (which may very well be related), I reformatted and started over.NHancer works fine so far with the latest drivers from NVIDIA after my reinstallation of video drivers and NHancer.I have not reinstalled FSX yet, but will do a step by step examination between stages which will take some time. If I find anything that I haven't read by others already that is noteworthy, I will include it in another reply.You might want want to take a peek at my post on the flightsim hardware forum relative to developements.I am very suspicious that it is a video card/driver issue relative to blurries, but time will tell.Thanks for the reply:RTH