Sign in to follow this  
slait

Dumb question - What are "bespoke" textures?

The new Fiji airport from Inibuilds says that it features "bespoke textures", what is that and why do I want it? Perhaps a dumb question, but I have no idea what it means.

• Like 2

- Aaron

Custom made texture for some part of the scenery. Bespoke is an over used term, unless you’re at Henry Poole on Saville Row, in which case it’s bespoke. But after that . . . 

• Like 2

There was a movie years ago (Russian, I think) called "The Bespoke Overcoat." Could never understand what it meant until I finally looked it up. "Bespoke" meant custom-made for personal use.

Edited by John F

Thanks folks. I guess I thought it was something specific to the MSFS platform as I have seen reference to "bespoke airports", but apparently it seems to be just an overused term. Also seems to be British? which may account for my lack of familiarity.

• Like 1

- Aaron

Made to order.  It is what American's would call "custom".

In this context it just means instead of choosing from the standard textures provided with MSFS they have created their own to better match the real airport.

I think most of the better airports do this,

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Bespoke has become similar to the overuse of handcrafted, curated, etc. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I thought Asobo made a translation mistake the first time I saw their use of the word "bespoke".

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

Bespoke has become similar to the overuse of handcrafted, curated, etc. 

My current favorite is "artisan".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Aaron

Bespoke is a perfectly good word when used in the correct context.
It means created for a specific person or purpose and was indeed originally used to describe articles of clothing.
If you read it a lot, then you are almost certainly spending time in a place where "custom" work is common.

A far better example of a grossly overused word, used mainly in entirely the wrong context, is "awesome".

• Upvote 1

In Australia words like artisan and bespoke are frowned upon becasue they are seen as pretentious. 

Australians like to pride themselves on being average ordinary down to earth folk, particularly if they are talented, well educated, well off financially and basically anything but ordinary.

• Like 6

That's a shame Glenn, limiting your vocabulary limits your ability to convey a message.

For example when people describe some thing or act as nice,  a vague word which really doesn't convey what the writer thinks of the thing or in some cases even differentiate the act from the object

Take a description of a gift to someone for example, stating it was a nice gift  could mean they thought the gift was aesthetically pleasing or perhaps they meant the act  was thoughtful.

The over use of certain words can be due to the same self limiting of one's  vocabulary

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This bespoke thread of artisans of the English language, albeit non curated, is awesome, nay iconic, for a non native speaker.

• Like 7

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

As a non-native speaker of American English, I first came across the word "bespoke" when I moved to the UK. I had to look it up. Turns out it means "custom-made".