Sign in to follow this  
Guest B52Drivr

Flight Sim recreation on CNN

In trying to reconstruct the tragic Comair crash in Lexington, CNN has aired this video showing their attempt to reconstruct the scene from the pilot's viewpoint. Lo and behold - they are using Flight Sim. Quote from site: CNN's Brian Todd tries to get the pilot's perspective before the fatal plane crash in Kentuckyhttp://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.htm...ilots.view.whasFinal note: I am not advocating using Flight Sim to recreate ANY tragedy.

The link comes up but the video never plays... is there something else I need to do or a service I have to pay for to get it to show?

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I activated the link using FireFox and didn't think it was going to work at first either. After giving it sufficient time to load the clip played OK.

The link is on the CNN page on the story. Another thread on this here was moved to Hanger Chat earlier today.FS2004 and the Google Earth photos you are seeing do not reflect the changed airport configuration last Sunday morning when three regional jets took off, one on the wrong runway. The interval between the takeoffs appears to have been two to three minutes.

CNN video's take a long time to start. Did you catch that, he says SPECIAL software.All I can say is WOW!!JimCYWG

The "special software" reference is just lame.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Hmmm... plays at home but not on my office computers, interesting.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Folks, head over to PPRUNE for more discussions between pilots regarding this accident. Just a tip for those interested.I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Good point.According to the FAA airport diagram, the Rwy 22 takeoff point (the old one) was 973 feet elevation, with a crest of 979 feet about 2,500 feet down the runway, and the remaining 4,500 feet are downhill to an elevation of 940 feet. That does NOT account for any possible undulations in the runway.With those dimensions - I would think it extremely difficult to tell if you were on 22 or 26 by just looking down the runway.The pictures down 26 show it has a slight dip - don't know how that compares to looking down 22.Remember the time of the crash was a bit before dawn.Though I'd really love to see a current air photo of the airport and see if the runway texture/ color was changed by the repaving.

I'm just a dumn Fsimmer - who doesn't even have a private pilot's licence. But even I check my compass direction before takeoff. Why do I do that? - because I have taxied to the wrong runway in Fsim before. On the other hand - what was the tower controller doing? (assuming there was a tower controller. I thought that they were supposed to be visual with the a/c under their control?Barry

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, again.I've tried 5 times to watch the video, and all five times I get the sound, and one pic of the runway at the beginning and nothing more. So, again, if someone CAN download this and e mail it to me, I would appreciate it. B52Drivr@aol.comThanksclayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"