Sign in to follow this  
Guest B52Drivr

Flight Sim recreation on CNN

Since CNN went to the new format, I haven't figured out how to download one of theirs yet.

Don't worry, those of you who can't view it, are not missing anything.It's typical "brainless too-fast reporting" of a tragic event that doesn't deserve such treatment.There is hardly any real look at FS in the video. "Special Software" my foot. Well, it's "special" all right, but it's not reserved for the NTSB. Any dude with $40 can go out to Best Buy and get it. RhettAMD 3700+ powered by Gerbil wheel + gerbil, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 gigs Corsair TWINX, blah blah, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest N555TZ

>In trying to reconstruct the tragic Comair crash in>Lexington, CNN has aired this video showing their attempt to>reconstruct the scene from the pilot's viewpoint. Lo and>behold - they are using Flight Sim. >>Quote from site: >>CNN's Brian Todd tries to get the pilot's perspective before>the fatal plane crash in Kentucky>>http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.htm...ilots.view.whas>>Final note: I am not advocating using Flight Sim to recreate>ANY tragedy. >>JDyoung, this is no attack aimed towards you.However, It is extremely apparent why Ben Berman is no longer employed by the NTSB in this inappropriate, inaccurate, and irresponsible attempt at depicting a simulation of an aircraft incident. Especially one that has potential criminal charges.MSFS is great, but is used in very poor judgement here in this video. Besides the fact that the narrators commentary is full of factual inaccuraces in regards to the crash.CNN needs to stick to the facts, and not try and impress the public with their opinions. Luckily CNN isn't the staple cable news in Kentucky.

This cracked me up the other day when I saw it on TV - "special software"... yeah that you can buy for $20 at BestBuy. Then they're like "We've put ourselves in a CRJ, the same aircraft that crashed." and then they show the default 737 panel.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi, got it to work... just a couple of scripts that cnn.com and cnn.net want to run, it is best to have a least WMP9 on your system and an up to date plug in for Firefox, if you use that (like me...)Sensationalist and poor reporting though, I agree with those who have already posted here. Special software, great one... How many of us have tried the same thing?The runway layout is not that of the current airport, I haven't found a current AFCAD for KLEX, showing the new threshold for 22 and the now closed taxiway from 26 to the old 22 threshold (now a run off area). We all know that FS only rarely takes runway slopes into account (Lukla, Wasserkuppe Edersee, Courchevel...) and only when a programmer has gone to the effort...Too much conjecture... the media need to let the authorities do their job and let the mourning familes and friends mourn in peace.A tragedy it was, and human error seems to be the cause, but let's leave it up to the authorities, whose job it is to find out the causes and to recommend the safety improvements that may in future contribute to this fom never happening again...Andrew

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Yes, I have to agree. After viewing the video, (understand that most of the news-watching public wouldn't know a CRJ 100 from a 747 unless they stood besides each), I have to believe that, although this individual perhaps has been a NTSB investigator in the past, his present display of information was only grist for the media mill.The real kicker was, of course, the default 737 panel on the CRJ, and judgeing from the rest of the video, I have a feeling that he just used the 737 to boogie down the runway. Special software, hmmmm. I know of any 10 Flight Simmers who make videos who could have done a much better job, and been more accurate . . . oh well, such is life.Shame on you, CNN . . . you even have on your morning desk a most knowledgeable pilot in Miles Obrian, who, I am sure cringed upon watching that video. In defense of CNN, at least the video did give the average guy watching the news a wee bit of insight of how this did perhaps happen. (it also probably scarred the average public silly knowing it will just happen to them the next time they will fly . . .hate to be a flight attendant for the next few weeks on a regional jet.) Still, in all, with the special software comment, the 737 panel and such, they would have been better off using diagrams and just talking about it.Face it gang, the news media is now in a ratings game just like your evening 'Deal or no deal' show . . . its all now about dollars and who can bring in the most with the most spectacular effects and talking heads.Best to all, Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"