Sign in to follow this  
Samaritano

MS Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition

My vote would be for Steam. Updates are seamless, never any issues. As far as which version, that’s a tough question. I bought the premium when it came out, but I use none of the Asobo aircraft. There are additional hand crafted airports with each version up, so that’s probably a more important method of comparing the different editions. I’ve heard also that there are some addons that only work with the Premium Deluxe, but I am not sure how accurate that is.

Cheers, Pete

• Upvote 2

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

On 12/25/2022 at 8:49 AM, PilotPete99 said:

I’ve heard also that there are some addons that only work with the Premium Deluxe, but I am not sure how accurate that is.

Never heard that before anywhere, which on the other hand makes zero sense... Different editions simply add more aircraft and airports, not functionality. 

41 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

Never heard that before anywhere, which on the other hand makes zero sense... Different editions simply add more aircraft and airports, not functionality. 

I agree it makes zero sense, but it’s been speculated by some.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

There is one single example that I remember: The Cessna 172 (Steam Gauges) by Justflight. I uses the C172 from the Premium Deluxe version as a base, so it needs the Premium Deluxe in order to work. I've thought about it for a while, but decided against a huge upgrade just for a better C172 that again would cost additional €€.

• Like 2

Regards, Dominik

Finally decided to pull the trigger on this one. 55 euro for the standard edition on Steam. About the price of dinner and drinks for two nowadays if eating out. I'll probably get the PMDG 737-600 for it soon since I've been waiting a while to try a single aisle short to medium range aircraft, and cost is not too much extra. Just eat beans and rice for a few weeks.

For right now it's about 10% downloaded after one hour. Starting to feel antsy. Hope it works. I got all the minimum system requirements covered and exceeded, one recommended requirement lagging, but don't mind low to medium settings.

Not FOMO (fear of missing out), but KOMO (knowledge). Been using FSX Steam for a few years now, everything running smoothly, max settings, Active Sky weather, AI traffic, PMDG 777, 747-400 + Aerosoft DC8, everything works perfectly. Why ask for more? Why is it boring when everything works and is running smoothly? But still, some sort of itch, maybe many simmers have, gotta try something new.

I will buy when they add flyby view and at 50% discount.

Edited by rooitou

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

16 minutes ago, rooitou said:

I will buy....... at 50% discount.

You will need to keep your eye out for flying pigs.
When you see one, quickly visit the Microsoft Store

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

In any case, we probably all know simming can be very time consuming. But that's not necessarily bad for a hobby. I will probably not get any addons for this new MSFS so soon. I got it working, graphics look good at high settings, just my computer gets hot and crashes. Will still need to fiddle with the settings more.

My takeaway right now is that for me it's nice to have an additional sim aside from FSX Steam for better VFR scenery, so the 55€ I paid, and the amount of space it hogs on my hard drive isn't that bad. I don't save any videos anymore, just upload to Youtube and delete, so having enough space isn't too big a deal.

I basically ran this test beforehand:

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-system-requirements

I got this for the minimum requirements:

Requirement                                Your SystemResult

Windows                                       Windows  PASS

Intel Core i5-4460AMD                 Ryzen 5 4600H  PASS

AMD Radeon RX 570AMD           Radeon Pro 5600M PASS

8 GB RAM                                    8 GB RAM    PASS

Your computer meets the minimum requirements to play Microsoft Flight Simulator

But for the recommended requirements: FAIL on the 8 GB RAM, as 16 GB are recommended. The other recommended requirements passed.

So now, going back and forth between FSX Steam and MSFS 2020, I still like FSX. Some people like me always need to learn things the hard way. Barely worth the 55€ for me personally, slight regrets. But if I think of it not as a flight simulator but just some computer action game I bought, then not too bad, somewhat worth it.

Just my two cents in case someone is still deliberating. If you meet all the recommended requirements, not just the minimums, and space isn't an issue, then it's not a bad program to have, especially if it indeed turns out to be the top sim for the near to mid term future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Reader said:

You will need to keep your eye out for flying pigs.
When you see one, quickly visit the Microsoft Store

🙂 Well, Asobo will probably only add flyby view in 3 years' time. And by then 50% off would not be so strange.

We'll have P3Dv6 using Unreal Engine 5 and perhaps X-Plane 13 with similar/other leaps in technology. MSFS could find itself the ugly duckling in need of deep discounts, with its gothic-looking buildings and lack of even the basics (like flyby view, which every other flight sim has)

• Like 1

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

1 hour ago, rooitou said:

🙂 Well, Asobo will probably only add flyby view in 3 years' time.

In the meantime, of course, you will have no Microsoft Flight Simulator.

3 hours ago, Reader said:

In the meantime, of course, you will have no Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Ah, but there is GamePass for PC, so I get to "try it out" while still having a whole bunch of other games to play for a small monthly fee. If they ever remove MSFS from GamePass, I might consider getting it, but its wow-factor has mostly worn off for me and nowadays I spend a lot more time in XP12 (which I got for 80% less than MSFS on Steam) and DCS World.

Edited by rooitou

3 hours ago, rooitou said:

Ah, but there is GamePass for PC

Then you already have it. No need to look for flying pigs after all.

• Like 1