Sign in to follow this  
PaulVR

any Mac users....

Hi,I'm getting a new Mac Pro for work (self-employed) and I would like to run FSX on it also, i'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with there yoke & peddles working on it, and what windows os are you using (xp or vista, 32 or 64bit).Thanks for your time and consideration.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

MacBook Pro here, with Vista 32 bit.No problems at all: when you reboot using Boot Camp, the Mac behaves just like a PC in Windows. This means for every peripheral you might have, you simply use the standard Windows drivers, or download the Windows drivers if they are not already supplied in Windows.Apple only supplies with drivers specific to their hardware: the iSight, the Trackpad, and the self-illuminated keyboard, but these are only relevant to laptops. Anything else, just use Windows drivers.

Ditto here, with MacBook Pro and XP. Works very well.J.J.JJ StruyfBraine-L'AlleudBelgium

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

Guest CocoLoco

I've literally just got my new Mac Book Pro set up with FSX, Track IR and my old Sidewinder Force Feedback stick. Everything seems to work very well. I'm very pleased with this set up and frame rates/rendering is a definite improvement over my old AMD 3700+ box.If you are going to move to Vista, just make sure you can get all the right drivers for your current kit. I did think about Vista for the OS but did not think it would be worth the trouble (no drivers for my Sidewinder stick for a start).P.S. Make sure you print out the instructions for bootcamp and if you have any troubles installing XP on boot up, reboot and keep the alt key down. I think if you reboot with the command key down it will go back to OS X.RegardsDavid

MacBook Pro here too. No problems using Boot Camp and XP SP2.

Thanks for the feedback!Mac Pro is on the way.... now my wife can hear me NOT complaining!

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Running FSX and FS9 on a MacPro with Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Since the Mac doesn't use BIOS, there are a few limitations: no Vista 62 bit and Windows doesn't recognise more than 2 Gb RAM.CH FlightSim Yoke LE, CH Pro Pedals and CH Throtttle Quadrant are working flawlessly in FSX. I have a little ussue with the Quadrant in FS9 (view starts panning up in virtual cockpit view), but that is easily cured by unplugging the USB connection and reconnecting to the other USB port on my keyboard.Paul

As an extension to this thread, I'd like to know if it would be possible to run FSX on my PC and, say ASX, on a Mac running Bootcamp? I'd like to offload some processes to my mac, to free up my main CPU. I assume the main problem would be to do with SimConnect working across both platforms.Has anyone tried this?

Depending on the requirements for ASX (does it require DirectX for its own display, etc), you could also run a Virtual Machine with XP or Vista within OSX itself, and then run ASX in the VM.You do need the deluxe version of FSX in order to run SimConnect clients on seperate machines though and then you need to install the SimConnect.msi file on your other machine and then install ASX on it. If ASX requires direct access to FSX directory structure, then you probably can't run it on a seperate machine at all.

>Since the Mac doesn't use BIOS, there are a few>limitations: no Vista 62 bit and Windows doesn't recognise>more than 2 Gb RAM.I have to contradict myself here: in the mean time I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my MacPro, with CH FlightSim Yoke, CH Pedals and CH Throttle Quadrant, all working perfectly.Paul

Guest CocoLoco

If you have booted the Mac into XP with Bootcamp then it's just another PC and no different from using any another PC to host ASX. RegardsDavid

>Depending on the requirements for ASX (does it require>DirectX for its own display, etc), you could also run a>Virtual Machine with XP or Vista within OSX itself, and then>run ASX in the VM.>>You do need the deluxe version of FSX in order to run>SimConnect clients on seperate machines though and then you>need to install the SimConnect.msi file on your other machine>and then install ASX on it. >>If ASX requires direct access to FSX directory structure, then>you probably can't run it on a seperate machine at all.>>Thanks beatle,According to the documentation for Bootcamp, Windows runs "natively" as if it's installed on an intel computer, so I'm guessing installation of simconnect and asx should be painless. We'll see...my partner's new Mac should arrive any day now so I might "borrow" the Leopard discs to try it on my (now old) G4 mac.

I have a regular Macbook (non Pro) and I've never had any issues with Windows apps or hardware stuff via Bootcamp - Intel Macs are for all intents and purposes Windows PCs that just happen to be able to run OSX too...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks for your input. Sounds like it should do the trick.