Sign in to follow this  
slait

Another purchase recommendation post

Hi folks,

I happen to have a bit of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and am trying to decide between a couple of things. First I thought I may try something different and look at the PMDG DC-6, though I'm seeing conflicting reviews on it, then thought about perhaps the Visionjet from FlightFX. I do however already have their Hondajet and am wondering if they will be too similar.

Side note, FS2Crew release for the 737, thinking about that as well.

Any feedback from the aficionados here?

- Aaron

The DC6 is (or was) my favorite plane in the sim for quite a while. At the moment though it is awaiting an update from PMDG as SU11 basically broke its autopilot. So i would avoid that one until they fix it, which hopefully will be sometime early in the new year. Definitely a must have though once it's fixed.

3 minutes ago, Brownshortz said:

The DC6 is (or was) my favorite plane in the sim for quite a while. At the moment though it is awaiting an update from PMDG as SU11 basically broke its autopilot. So i would avoid that one until they fix it, which hopefully will be sometime early in the new year. Definitely a must have though once it's fixed.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that fix either. I haven't flown the DC6 in many months. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

45 minutes ago, slait said:

I've been using FS2Crew for FBW A320 and Fenix A320. I think it's a great product that adds to the overall immersion. I haven't bought it for the 737 though as I rarely fly it nowadays. 

EDIT: I like the voices for the FBW version much better than the Fenix. Not sure why they decided to change the voicepack. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

19 minutes ago, slait said:

Hi folks,

I happen to have a bit of Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and am trying to decide between a couple of things. First I thought I may try something different and look at the PMDG DC-6, though I'm seeing conflicting reviews on it, then thought about perhaps the Visionjet from FlightFX. I do however already have their Hondajet and am wondering if they will be too similar.

Any feedback from the aficionados here?

..."Any feedback from the aficionados here?"...

Yes.... get them ALL hehe.

PMDG DC-6:   

I'm a little biased.  I painted it, love it....never thought I would, and in P3D I never owned it....however, in MSFS, cruising around at lower altitudes than the jet-tubes...she was MADE for MSFS!  I enjoy the change, the complexity (but she has a bunch of "helpers" to help manage the systems until you get comfortable with her).

I noted in the PMDG forum there are workarounds to fix the autopilot.  I have not tried them as I've no time to fly her at the moment.  Here is a post mentioning the fixes: Link to PMDG DC-6 forum regarding AP fixes

This is my USAF Mats paint with Day-Glo orange paint on the nose, tail and wings....one of my favorites. (Fun painting fact:  The rudder is not reflective, as its actually fabric and painted a gray/silver....this effect is a result of a lot of PBR adjusting to get it looking just right) 🙂

CAXc8h.jpg

VisionJet:

I had the exact same thought as you regarding the VisionJet/HondaJet.  I thought before I added yet another VLJ (Very light jet) to my hangar, I never really got to know the HJ too well...so I forced myself to fly her around the U.S. to get used to her.  I absolutely lover her now, and it is my all-time favorite private in this category.  I'll probably pick up the VisionJet when she goes on sale as she too looks to be modeled fantastically in MSFS....but found I didn't need her to fill a VLJ gap...I already have a great one. 🙂  

I don't have the FS2C app for the 737, but their software offerings are always popular.   

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

The DC-6 is probably the best vintage airliner in MSFS. But I don't like it because of the modern radios were added and the old radios deactivated. If not having old radio option is not an issue for you, then the DC-6 is the best you could hope for. Any fixes for AP will come, not to worry.

The PMDG 737 is also the best modern airliner. I don't like it either because I don't like flying Boeings. But it has wonderful graphics and is not an FPS hog. It's just about a perfect addon. 

There's a big difference between what I like and what is good. PMDG products are always better than excellent.

Vision Jet: I was not aware of this. But a Youtube video seems to show a glass screen where you can easily read the tapes and quickly see the information on the big screen. 

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

51 minutes ago, slait said:

First I thought I may try something different and look at the PMDG DC-6, though I'm seeing conflicting reviews on it

As written above, the PMDG is fundamentally excellent.
I cannot fault it and in fact have all of its versions, except the X Plane one.
I am no pilot, nor am I a rivet counter.
In some cases, one must also consider what may be motivating the poor review behind the scenes.
There appears to be a growing fund of anecdotal evidence that the Working Title GNS430 may be having
an adverse effect on the autopilot in some other addon aircraft. Perhaps it affects this one too.

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments so far. If there is an unofficial edit that can be done to the PMDG bird that effectively solves the A/P issues then perhaps that may be the way to go. Their 737 is a standout for me even without the EFB, so I've been hoping the DC-6 is on par. I was looking at it in the marketplace though as it seems to be on sale there for cheaper than their website and the ratings are sub-fours, hence my doubts.

With the Visionjet I may wait as the Hondajet is very nice and still seems to compete with it. Maybe in the future I'll buy it just to support the dev, they seem to be doing good things.

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

EDIT: I like the voices for the FBW version much better than the Fenix. Not sure why they decided to change the voicepack. 

They changed the voice pack? How so?

57 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

..."Any feedback from the aficionados here?"...

Yes.... get them ALL hehe.  

Ha! My wife just said the same thing so I may have to call her on that.

Thanks for the feedback, and that paint is stunning. Really well done!

- Aaron

6 minutes ago, slait said:

They changed the voice pack? How so?

IMO, the voices sounds more natural with the FBW version (the first FS2Crew addon for MSFS I believe). 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Reader said:

There appears to be a growing fund of anecdotal evidence that the Working Title GNS430 may be having
an adverse effect on the autopilot in some other addon aircraft. Perhaps it affects this one too.

All the negative reviews are 100% due to problems with the gyropilot. It's not really anecdotal anymore lol. The WT code definitely had an adverse affect on the plane but tbh the Gyrpilot was acting up long before SU11. Specifically it was oscillating from side to side for no apparent reason. Also the latest update (0042) is a hot mess.....it doesn't even attempt to fly a set route with the AP engaged. I uninstalled that and went back to 0041 which i had archived.....that version is flyable at least.

My advice is to wait for an official fix before buying the DC6. Once its fixed though it would be the first plane I'd buy. 😊

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

VisionJet:

I had the exact same thought as you regarding the VisionJet/HondaJet.  I thought before I added yet another VLJ (Very light jet) to my hangar, I never really got to know the HJ too well...so I forced myself to fly her around the U.S. to get used to her.  I absolutely lover her now, and it is my all-time favorite private in this category.  I'll probably pick up the VisionJet when she goes on sale as she too looks to be modeled fantastically in MSFS....but found I didn't need her to fill a VLJ gap...I already have a great one. 🙂  

The VisionJet feels very different to the HondaJet though. Slower and much less power, feels more like a fast GA than a business jet. It's absolutely great, and only going to get better when the AAU is integrated into it... 

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I have the Hondajet and DC-6 and Visionjet and if I could pick only one I’d actually pick the Visionjet...it’s not fast, but flies nicely and is just “cool”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brownshortz said:

All the negative reviews are 100% due to problems with the gyropilot. It's not really anecdotal anymore lol. The WT code definitely had an adverse affect on the plane but tbh the Gyrpilot was acting up long before SU11. Specifically it was oscillating from side to side for no apparent reason. Also the latest update (0042) is a hot mess.....it doesn't even attempt to fly a set route with the AP engaged. I uninstalled that and went back to 0041 which i had archived.....that version is flyable at least.

My advice is to wait for an official fix before buying the DC6. Once its fixed though it would be the first plane I'd buy. 😊

I agree with all the above except I’d buy it now whilst it’s on sale.

The official fix is on its way; they talked about it in the latest PMDG update.

Full disclosure; this is what it does at the moment with gyropilot linked to gps🙃.

Meanwhile, I’m off to buy the Vision jet with my Christmas loot😃

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 1

Any issues for those that have bought the PMDG bird through the in-store marketplace? It's about $15 cheaper there right now.

- Aaron

4 hours ago, slait said:

Ha! My wife just said the same thing so I may have to call her on that.

LOL....in the grand scheme of things...you compare this hobby to others as far a price and it's not bad considering the enjoyment over time.  Take golf, Bass fishing, etc, and Flightsimming is downright cheap!🤣

4 hours ago, slait said:

and that paint is stunning. Really well done!

Thanks...I've been painting for a bit. 🙂

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg