Sign in to follow this  
hanstatdg

Flight1 just released AFX, now we can modify airports

I beg to disagree - the taxiway signs are within the airport header section of the .BGL for each airport in the default FSX,and all the couple hundred compiled/ modified airport files I've seen for FSX.They cannot be removed by the DeleteAirport statement because they do not have a GUID.Yes, they are created in the sim by a separate process.But I'll have to look at some of the files created by the program in hex before I make up my mind.I really, really want to try the inteface which shows the limits of the parking spots.There is one other item which I wish more people would make more common - and I really wish had been included.All GATE spots produce a pushback tug, a baggage loader and a baggage cart. There must be 8.5M of clearance between the edge of the parking spot and any buildings/ objects so these vehicles do not come out of buildings.I wish the designers of these programs would include a visual marker for these vehicles.All CARGO spots also produce a pushback tug and it also needs 8.5M of clearance.The number of spots on an airport which display these vehicles is impacted by the airport vehicle density slider.

What Reggie is showing you is the live preview directly in FSX and FS9. :-)

Steve! The problem with using the same basic GUI design as Lee's, is what if Lee decides to want to update his own AFCAD2 for FSX. (He maybe working on it now for all we know!) Suppose he intended also to go payware. The end result would be he'd now have to compete against his own GUI design in another developers product. Do you think that's fair?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Lets pretend that were true...We could provide an alternative interface and let the user select which they prefer just like XP or Classic interface in Windows.The existing "similar" interface was simply to allow people to reduce the learning curve and improve work flow. This really is a quite different product.Flight1 has and will always operate with integrity. If anything like what you suggest would ever happen, we would accomodate as we need to.Jim

I just purchased AFX and it's just awesome. Very easy to handle (even for a noob like me). Just one question, i like to alter the airfield boundary and elevation - how can i do this...? I guess i am missing something.Heiko

I noticed that it can exclude autogen but can it flatten terrain? It seems to me this would be a necessity if I want to "make" airports.

Guest sssummer

Great product. Ease of use like AFCAD2, but more powerful, adapted for both FS9 and FSX, similar interface makes the transaction easy for FSX. If you used AFCAD before, you need this. Let the FSX airport AFCAD's begin with a vengence. Jim Vile. For some reason when I try and modify and save your KMIA AFCAD for FSX using AFX, it crashes the program. Your other AFCAD's for FSX save fine. Just a heads up.

Your title says, "now we can modify airports." I'm sure this is a fine product, but I'm surprised no one has pointed out that we've been able to modify airports in FSX for quite some time now for free using FSX Planner. It has its own thread here on the AVSIM forums. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...5&mesg_id=34565I've modified quite a few FSX airports using this fine free tool.

Hi Reggie. I noticed that when I opened the PHKO FSX mod that was just released it said some features were stripped. Do you know what features are not compatable with AFX? Is there any way to add them back in? Regards, Bob.

Guest chesh253

1st time poster long time FS user (anyone remember Sublogic Jet)Sadly missing AFCAD - but happily running FSX in Vista64 (eventually) almost got the frame rates I want as well There is just one thing about AFX that worries me ! it's the comment at the bottom of advert page that says :- "Although Airport Facilitator X may operate under Vista, Flight One can't make any guarantees that you will not encounter problems when using the software with Vista." I know that sorta sums up running anything on Vista - However has anyone tried running it on Vista or more importantly Vista64 ?Thanks Mike

Off hand - no - I'd have to look at the code of the original airport and the AFX modified airport.Since we haven't had a standard for FSX, folks have included some very desirable things in the same file as the airport runways and the parking. In some cases some scenery objects, also several other potential elements can be included in a file.FSX Planner has some capabilities to edit / manipulate objects and features which AFX does not. So does ADE.Three competing products each with it's strengths and weaknesses will only make for a better final standard.But what to put in which file is going to take some sorting out.There are many things which people want an airport editing program to do - which frankly do not belong in the same file as the runways, taxiways and parking. Before FSX has run it's service life, I expect programs like AFX to create two files for many airports - an editable file and a 'pro' file which modifies elements which require a lot more knowledge of the inner workings of FS than most people what to spend time learning.My strongest suggestion right now is that if you have an airport file from download or that you built yourself before getting AFX - that you not edit that file in AFX.Always start your airport work from a fresh read or data pull from the default airport.

Yes, it should work fine in Vista.However, we can't always say 100% that it will work in Vista without some work on the Vista users part.Vista is so restrictive, and with other Vista services (such as Defender and User Account Control) as well as virus scanners, and 3rd party Internet secruity and firewalls all causing potential interference, we can't guarantee a trouble-free install on all Vista systems. The user may have to go to some extra effort to get some software to run.So far so good though on this product, and if we see continued success, we will likely change that text to say Vista Compatible!However, notes at http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=vista always apply.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software