Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

Fenix A320 - Taxi N1 Thrust too High ?

All

Not too sure what's happening, but I seem to need around 70% N1 thrust to get the Fenix A320 moving from a standstill, then ~50% N1 to maintain a taxi speed of around 15Kts. If I reduce it any lower, the a/c will, after around 5secs, roll to a stop.

These N1 figures seem way too high to me, with the a/c seeming to need a considerable amount more thrust to get it moving than the FBW A320.

Brakes aren't hot.

Any thoughts ?

I would go by the Fenix behavior not the FBW. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Isn't the FBW a neo and the Fenix a ceo? That would be a pretty good explanation imho.

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I would too. But his numbers seem very odd. I never need more than maybe 30 or 35% N1 to start the fenix moving and only very little above idle thrust to keep the speed. Sounds like he has the parking brakes active. 🙂

depends on your payload as well. If I am full with over 35K lbs of fuel it does take a considerable amount of power to get the Fenix moving and keep it rolling when its heavy.. On the flipside when I first flew the FBW A20N I was told it takes almost no power to get it rolling and I inquired is it normal to always have to ride the breaks as even if it was full I would approach over 25 knots even on idle thrust. Devs chimed in and said this was normal. In the end the Fenix A320 which is a ceo not a neo just takes more power. 

That's high, but Fenix is still working on the engine modeling.  It could also be an issue with the airport.  I've been to a few that seem to require excessive thrust in certain areas in any aircraft.

From the A319-321 FTCM:

THRUST USE
Only a little power is needed above thrust idle, in order to get the aircraft moving (N1
40 %). Excessive thrust application can result in exhaust-blast damage or Foreign
Object Damage (FOD). Thrust should normally be used symmetrically.

Brian W

KPAE

35 minutes ago, environmental_ice said:

depends on your payload as well

Good point and I should have stated this. Load is very light, around 2 tonnes of cargo, 5 tonnes of fuel and 130ish pxs.

Regarding airports, I'm seeing this behaviour at default ESSA, freeware ENGM and IniScene's EGLL.

And no, the parking brake is not on..!

22 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

Good point and I should have stated this. Load is very light, around 2 tonnes of cargo, 5 tonnes of fuel and 130ish pxs.

Regarding airports, I'm seeing this behaviour at default ESSA, freeware ENGM and IniScene's EGLL.

And no, the parking brake is not on..!

No way is this normal.
30-35% N1 is the breakaway thrust setting for a more lightly-loaded Fenix A320.

Ensure that you haven't still got the tug attached (it can visibly appear detached, yet the EFB shows it is still active), nor any other ground equipment.
Check your control settings to ensure that there isn't a key or axis binding misattributed to cause the brakes to be applied while performing another action. Test taxiing without the autobrakes set.
Clear out *all* other add-ons from your Community folder to test that there isn't something in there that is having an unexpected impact. Move any Fenix liveries to another folder and test using the default livery.
Have you applied any manual changes to the Fenix? Lights mod, F/O mod, etc?
Worse case scenario, uninstall and reinstall the add-on. Raise a ticket if it persists.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Someone mentioned parking brake 🤣. Let me tell you a quick story. So I'm doing a dog and pony show to some observers there to see how we depart under alert conditions. We are posted up doing normal business and the klaxon goes off. We run speed of heat to the jet and jump to it! I hop in the right seat, hit the batteries and then the APU start switch. The APU spools up as I strap in and start running a quick scan. The APU hits 100%, the GEN and air kicks on as I notice the left seater hits the start button for number 2. I check in and as the number 1 reaches idle, I'm set. I watch the left seater flow the after start and push in a gob of power. The jet doesn't move. He adds more power and then we both turn heads down to the parking brake. He grabs it, pulls, twists and release. The jet shot forward as if we were coming off the cat on a carrier. He throws in left tiller and my body flies right as I feel the nose wheel skipping. He never touched the power once. We get airborne in under three minutes and brought the ole heavy girl back for a landing.

We get back to parking and the guys run up excited. Man! You guys shot out of hear like a bat out of hell! The observers' jaws dropped as they watched how fast you guys tore out of here. That has got to be the fastest alert launch I have seen. I give them all a blank stare and then said, genius right here forgot to release the parking brake after starting. That's why we shot out of here so fast. Good times!🤣

Happy Holidays!   

Edited by G550flyer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wow, I know you love the Fenix but those numbers the OP posted are not normal figures at all for taxi on an A320. Something else going on here. Tug still attached, controller issues, etc as someone else mentioned would be my guess.

Also, make sure you have the correct dead zones on your brakes. I had the same issue and I was like no way it takes this much to move it. Checked my settings and the rudder pedals I am using was actually applying slight breaking due to my dead zones on the toe brakes. Just a thought. (wasn't getting hot brakes probably due to short taxis)

Edited by Ridvan Celik
add info
  • Upvote 1

The CFM engine (Fenix' A320 CEO model) needs thrust to get moving while the FBW's NEO with the LEAP engine does not, but it is indeed a bit too much. This is mostly due the custom engine model and MSFS bad ground friction model.
However as others have said 50% N1 is much too high so I'd check if the brakes are accidentally pushed. I can get to 30kts with 30 or max. 40% N1. Usually you are not allowed to go above 40% N1(in real life) until you've waited 5 minutes after engine start, by the way (engine needs to warm up).

I just tried the Fenix GW 140,000, started rolling at N1  36%. I closed throttle, it gradually slowed down. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

5 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Any thoughts ?

Not the same engines on these aircraft. So why should they be comparable?

Airbus A320 CEO with CFM engines require engine thrust to taxi, but the IAE engines can taxi at idle.

Edited by ZKOKQ
  • Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.