Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ultimate Smoothness at Modest Frame Rates

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wow, that's remarkable.  When the PC has been on for many hours in MSFS, what kinds of temps are you seeing maximum?   I have a Phanteks case which is great as well but I like the PSU being on top as in your Fractal case.  What model?  I won't be building new for at least a year or two but when it's time will look closely at your case.

I will load the PMDG up with fuel and go fly for a few hours and will let you know

This is the exact case I have

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-tg-dark-tint/

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

27 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

I will load the PMDG up with fuel and go fly for a few hours and will let you know

This is the exact case I have

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-tg-dark-tint/

Are all the big fans intake fans, the bottom and front fans?  I guess no fans assisting air out of the case, so that is passive largely (from pressure from the intake fans)?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I think it's possible a very recent addition of a 2nd monitor running off the Intel Graphics component in the 9900K which I'd never done before is causing this increase in CPU case temp.  I really stopped paying attention to CPU temp it's always been so good, really 47C to 55C absolute peak running MSFS.  Makes sense there is some cost to the CPU in enabling the graphics component I bet that's it.  I did take it outside and blow it out well and it really wasn't that dusty.   

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

48 minutes ago, Noel said:

Are all the big fans intake fans, the bottom and front fans?  I guess no fans assisting air out of the case, so that is passive largely (from pressure from the intake fans)?

Yes all the fans are intake,

I did wonder if I would need an exhaust fan at the back but so far I haven't seen a need. I haven't tried a 2nd monitor but I do use the internal GPU for rendering the displays on the Fenix and do not see any difference. Currently the ambient temp in the basement is 20 degrees.

I am 1 hour and 15 mins in with the PMDG and temps are the same, will report back after 4 hours 

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

26 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Yes all the fans are intake,

I did wonder if I would need an exhaust fan at the back but so far I haven't seen a need. I haven't tried a 2nd monitor but I do use the internal GPU for rendering the displays on the Fenix and do not see any difference. Currently the ambient temp in the basement is 20 degrees.

I am 1 hour and 15 mins in with the PMDG and temps are the same, will report back after 4 hours 

The Fractal Torrent is a good case.  Thank you for posting up the pics of your Torrent build, it's always good to see how others do it.

Back in the 90's I had a friend that hooked up a window A/C unit to the side of his case using dryer hose.  Good thing we don't have to do that these days with good airflow cases!    It did run cool though.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

34 minutes ago, Mace said:

The Fractal Torrent is a good case.  Thank you for posting up the pics of your Torrent build, it's always good to see how others do it.

Back in the 90's I had a friend that hooked up a window A/C unit to the side of his case using dryer hose.  Good thing we don't have to do that these days with good airflow cases!    It did run cool though.

LOL that's redneck engineering at it's best 🤣

There's definitely plenty of room in this case for a future GPU upgrade 

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Richard, I’ve been following your recent posts with interest, as I appreciate what you have done with your build to maintain decent temps with air cooling. My build also involves a Fractal case with great airflow, and a Ryzen 5800X CPU and an EVGA RTX 3800 graphics card. Initially, the GPU fans would run pretty hard after an hour or more of flight time, but like you, I applied an undervolt to the GPU using MSI Afterburner. The undervolt was very effective, and the GPU temps are now running almost 10 deg lower and are stable at about 67 C with no loss of performance. The RTX cards want to run hot, and I find I see far fewer stutters in MSFS when the GPU is running cooler. 
Rich

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noel said:

I think it's possible a very recent addition of a 2nd monitor running off the Intel Graphics component in the 9900K which I'd never done before is causing this increase in CPU case temp.  I really stopped paying attention to CPU temp it's always been so good, really 47C to 55C absolute peak running MSFS.  Makes sense there is some cost to the CPU in enabling the graphics component I bet that's it.  I did take it outside and blow it out well and it really wasn't that dusty.   

Hey Noel I filled my PMDG 737-600 fully up with AvGas and took off from Edinburgh and headed due south for 6 hour & 15 mins. I am curious what the range is on this now as I only just turned off the center tanks about 45 minutes ago. I could do trans Atlantic crossings in her for sure 🙂

Anyway stats logged by HWINFO below:

Average Core Temps - 34 Degrees

Max core temps -  68 Degrees

Average CPU Package - 40 Degrees

Max CPU Package - 62 Degrees

Average GPU Temp - 63 Degrees

Max GPU Temp - 72 Degrees

Average GPU Hot Spot - 72 Degrees

Max GPU Hot Spot - 81 Degrees

Average GPU Power - 290W (Nice to see a 3090 pulling less than 300W)

Max GPU Power - 388W

This is with a very mild O/C in place on my 12700K and undervolt on my 3090

Hope this info is interesting for you

Edited by RJC68

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

Hey Noel I filled my PMDG 737-600 fully up with AvGas and took off from Edinburgh and headed due south for 6 hour & 15 mins. I am curious what the range is on this now as I only just turned off the center tanks about 45 minutes ago. I could do trans Atlantic crossings in her for sure 🙂

Anyway stats logged by HWINFO below:

Average Core Temps - 34 Degrees

Max core temps -  68 Degrees

Average CPU Package - 40 Degrees

Max CPU Package - 62 Degrees

Average GPU Temp - 63 Degrees

Max GPU Temp - 72 Degrees

Average GPU Hot Spot - 72 Degrees

Max GPU Hot Spot - 81 Degrees

Average GPU Power - 290W (Nice to see a 3090 pulling less than 300W)

Max GPU Power - 388W

This is with a very mild O/C in place on my 12700K and undervolt on my 3090

Hope this info is interesting for you

Interesting--it's pretty much in my ballpark for thermals.  Even so when I was seeing average CPU temp of 62 I was on the ground at NZQN, some light rain and fog, main thread % around 84, which is way high for that scenario I would have thought.  Anyway, out of NZCH right now in the same plane 46-47C at altitude so well below what I was seeing earlier.  I don't think blowing out the guts made this difference. Anyway it seems to be back to normal now.  Maybe that was the CPU bug in the recent nV driver that is being addresses or has been addressed.  It was the 2nd flight on that MSFS launch.

Noel

6 hours ago, Mace said:

Back in the 90's I had a friend that hooked up a window A/C unit to the side of his case

I had that arrangement for 12y or so, thru 3 PC builds it was fabulous!  No dryer hose, just had it sitting directly in front of its loovered vents and the case had a big fan in the side panel directly over the CPU Noctua cooler.  In winter I would just run fan-only pulling outside but summer it was A/C and had crazy low temps--and the beauty is the entire case gets chilled and everything in it.  A bit noisy of course by I use studio monitor headphones and didn't hear it at all.

Noel

On 3/8/2023 at 2:24 PM, rlashier said:

Richard, I’ve been following your recent posts with interest, as I appreciate what you have done with your build to maintain decent temps with air cooling. My build also involves a Fractal case with great airflow, and a Ryzen 5800X CPU and an EVGA RTX 3800 graphics card. Initially, the GPU fans would run pretty hard after an hour or more of flight time, but like you, I applied an undervolt to the GPU using MSI Afterburner. The undervolt was very effective, and the GPU temps are now running almost 10 deg lower and are stable at about 67 C with no loss of performance. The RTX cards want to run hot, and I find I see far fewer stutters in MSFS when the GPU is running cooler. 
Rich

Hey Rich,

Glad you found the info useful. I actually built an almost identical PC right before this one with a 3080TI in a Corsair 4000D case. It’s the first time I had undervolted my GPU and I was quite surprised at the before and after results. When I sold that PC the profit I made allowed me to upgrade to the 3090 and while I liked the Corsair case it was a little on the small side for me so I went to my local computer store and did some research. I really liked the look of the Torrent case and the standard fan layout was perfect. The 2 X 180mm fans at the front are awesome and shift a ton of air.  I also really like the power supply at the top of the case.

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

@Noel I have to thank you for sharing the original info on this thread. I have followed your advice, and it does make a huge difference. I have experimented with several V-Sync settings, frame caps, etc with fairly good results, but the smoothness you get from this RTSS + NCP setup is on another level, everything just feels more... fluid.

With developer mode active, I noticed the CPU load is lower than it's ever been, even on Ultra (I normally use High-end) and it seems to work well either on TAA or DLSS/DLAA.

Also, it does work on a Freesync monitor with a NVIDIA card + G-Sync enabled, as is my case.

Thank you for sharing this!

LPMA

3 hours ago, GentleGroove said:

@Noel I have to thank you for sharing the original info on this thread. I have followed your advice, and it does make a huge difference. I have experimented with several V-Sync settings, frame caps, etc with fairly good results, but the smoothness you get from this RTSS + NCP setup is on another level, everything just feels more... fluid.

With developer mode active, I noticed the CPU load is lower than it's ever been, even on Ultra (I normally use High-end) and it seems to work well either on TAA or DLSS/DLAA.

Also, it does work on a Freesync monitor with a NVIDIA card + G-Sync enabled, as is my case.

Thank you for sharing this!

Awesome thank you for the follow up report and glad it helped at least someone and good to know FreeSync works as well!

Cheers

Noel

What is the name of the app that you can purchase to set higher priorities for Microsoft Flight Simulator and CPU cores? 

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

5 hours ago, Bill A said:

What is the name of the app that you can purchase to set higher priorities for Microsoft Flight Simulator and CPU cores? 

I assume you're referring to the app Process Lasso, maybe?