Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ultimate Smoothness at Modest Frame Rates

4 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

2)XPL 12... had half as much framerates, literally.

and only 1/4 framerate if you switch on FrameGeneration on RTX 4090 in MSFS, something XPL 12 does not have.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:47 PM, Noel said:

compared to RTX 4000 series with its frame generation, ....... those folks can brute force their way to Nirvana

just tried RTSS limited 40 fps, 4 K resolution on 60 Hz TV with NVidia RTX 4090 frame generation ON, VSYNC OFF, frame rate limiter OFF in NVCP.  total stutter mess. despite very even frame times.

spacer.png

RTX 4090 frame generation ON, RTSS frame rate limiter OFF : very smooth 83 fps.

spacer.png

obviously RTSS frame rate limiter and RTX 4090 FrameGeneration don't play nicely together, RTSS not needed, obviously. 

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

56 minutes ago, turbomax said:

just tried RTSS limited 40 fps, 4 K resolution on 60 Hz TV with NVidia RTX 4090 frame generation ON, VSYNC OFF, frame rate limiter OFF in NVCP.  total stutter mess. despite very even frame times.

spacer.png

RTX 4090 frame generation ON, RTSS frame rate limiter OFF : very smooth 83 fps.

spacer.png

obviously RTSS frame rate limiter and RTX 4090 FrameGeneration don't play nicely together, RTSS not needed, obviously. 

How do you think it will display 40PFS on a 60HZ panel ?
This can only be done with stuttering.
Or use a VRR* panel which can adapt to the input FPS

I can't believe no one understands how Framerates work on a panel with refreshes 60 times per second.
30 FPS on 60 FPS is fine and other options also.
Some input settings will show stuttering because frames do not fit and will be dropped because of this. (stuttering)

VRR* refers to the way your TV adjusts its refresh rate to match the frame rate of the output device

Edited by altenae

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

37 minutes ago, altenae said:

How do you think it will display 40PFS on a 60HZ panel ?
This can only be done with stuttering.

no. I have been using my 60Hz TV at various fps values ranging from 25-60 fps, all stutter free, more or less smooth. It is the RTX 4090 FrameGeneration technique combined with RTSS framerate limiter that doesn't play together. but at 85 fps there is not much left to limit anyway. 😅

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

@Noel i think you have Hypertrading Off

WIN 11 64 Pro, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, I7 13700K, be-quiet Loop Silent 2 WK, RTX 3090 OC, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast EXPO, 4x Nvme Samsung PRO, MS2020, be quiet SP11 850 Watt

56 minutes ago, turbomax said:

Sure--the faster the frame rate, the less zero FTV matters so you're in great shape.  Cpt Piett did this test and proved using CapFrameX that frame generation w/ RTSS as I've described how to set it up produced significantly higher.  He didn't report any stuttering issues, he was just showing the FTV as I recall.  Were you sure to enable Edge Sync, and Passive Waiting in your testing?  

But really, this is only something worth pursuing if you can't address this with brute force.  All I know is I have perfect performance everywhere now it's amazing.  It is a combination of course in living w/in my hardware's means, but I tell you I have absolutely no reason to upgrade hardware at this point in time.  It wasn't long ago I was looking at starting w/ a 7950x3D, but there is no reason to for me now.  If n when Asobo amps up something like cloud depiction in a major way then this may come into play.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 minutes ago, f.skywalker said:

@Noel i think you have Hypertrading Off

Yes you are correct.  In the past I used it in P3D and early MSFS, but there is no need to at this point in time as I have met my definition of perfection:  gate to gate, anywhere, in any plane, in any weather, with all settings at Ultra, T-LOD 130 on up, no stutters, no hiccoughs, pauses, shimmers, while turning, taxiing, observing AI aircraft.   GSX Pro's animation can do occasional hitches but that seems out of reach to fix for this user.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

But really, this is only something worth pursuing if you can't address this with brute force.

that's what I did, was tired after years of tweaking, snakeoil etc. I thought it was easier than all that process lasso thingamajig and instead hit that RTX 4090 BUY NOW button with brute force:

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

3 hours ago, turbomax said:

This used to work with frame generation (albeit with a lot of latency introduced) until the nvidia driver that fixed vsync for DLSS3. I used to use the exact same technique to lock at 40 fps in RTSS but get 80 fps in game. the affects were similar to what Noel is showing with a massive reduction in frame time variance.

• Like 1

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

that's what I did, was tired after years of tweaking, snakeoil etc. I thought it was easier than all that process lasso thingamajig and instead hit that RTX 4090 BUY NOW button with brute force:

spacer.png

Don't need to!  Already have PERFECT PERFORMANCE.  There is no further tweaking required.  You simply despite your tweaking and snakeoil never discovered how to do this.  It's good you had an alternative!

Edited by Noel

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

You simply despite your tweaking and snakeoil never discovered how to do this

I did, but that didn't help much with VR, nor does DLSS 3.0 FrameGeneration. only brute force 2D rasterization power.

very nice.

19 hours ago, Noel said:

As you can see from the right scroll bar there are a slew of entries below the bottom of what you see.  The top processes are system processes that don't accept affinity reassignments so those show Cores 0-7, but everything below that is set at 0-6.  You can 'group select' these so very simple to do.  Technically you really only need to do the processes on the Active Process tab however this can change so simple enough to do all processes that might run:

spacer.png

Quick question, I have already assigned some affinities using Windows Task Manager, if I then use PL, would I first have to reset them back in Task Manager then assign them in PL to prevent a 'conflict' between Task Manager and PL ?

Thanks.

40 FPS works with 120HZ panel, if 60Hz panel, use 30FPS. Everyone has different standards here of what we think is "modest" "average" and "good" and rightly so. I have a 5800X3D and a 3090, but I run 4K, medium to high at a locked 30fps on a 120hz panel and it is stutter free. It's a game of diminishing returns the higher you push framerates and graphics quality, so you have to find a balance.

OP should keep up-to-date with people's opinion etc and we can have an all-in-one optimisation guide, although it does vary slightly for everyone though.

Edited by Brocky120
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garydpoole said:

Quick question, I have already assigned some affinities using Windows Task Manager, if I then use PL, would I first have to reset them back in Task Manager then assign them in PL to prevent a 'conflict' between Task Manager and PL ?

Thanks.

They should show up in PL as you set them in Task Manager. No need to reset.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

3 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Thanks.

No, when you set them in TM they restore to unset after rebooting.  So just reboot, then do you setup in PL.  I don't have PL start with Windows because it prevents MSFS from launching, at least on my system and at one other who mentioned this.  So I launch PL (w/ its configurations already set) after I'm pretty much at the gate.  Also, it can be shut down after initializing and all settings will be retained, until you reboot and repeat the procedure.

Noel