Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Engine sound level in PMDG cockpit

One for the real world airliner pilots....

I have the engine sound set to 50% in P3Dv4.5HF2 so that I can hear them. However, I have no idea how loud (or quiet) they are supposed to sound from the cockpit. When I watch footage of airliner landings or departures on YouTube, the sound of the engines seems rather faint (including when the thrust reversers are engaged). Is this just a consequence of the recording, or are they really not that easy to hear from the cockpit?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

While not a pilot, I have been in cockpits during many takeoffs and landings during my time working in aviation. It's actually shocking how little you hear the engines compared to in the cabin. Even when compared to seat 1A.

I end up turning my engine sounds well below 50% (depending on the aircraft) to mimic the real thing. 

Edited by DChockey08
reasons
  • Upvote 1

Depends on the airplane.  One with tail-mounted engines can be ghostly quiet up-front even with old non-Stage II compliant low-bypass fans like the JT8D (e.g. B727/MD-80 series).  Wing-mounted engines on smaller acft like the 737/A320 are usually a bit louder on the flight deck due to the engines being much closer...jets with longer fuselages and widemouth higher-bypass engines like a 767-300 or 747 are quieter.

But the fact that they pretty much all wear lightweight headsets rather than something like the over-the-ear noise-cancelling Dave Clarks like I wore when flying the C-141 tells you it's pretty quiet up there on the flight deck. 

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

After all these years that I have been flying PMDG airliners, it has taken me until today to realise that I can change the cockpit ambience sound effects in the CDU! I had noticed that adjusting this via the P3D sound menu did not have any effect, so I assumed that it was not possible. Now I can finally enjoy my flights without the loud hissing sound of the air conditioning system (or whatever it is supposed to be) :cool:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

...actually those NGXu sounds are quite annoying, it's absolutely true.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4

11 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

After all these years that I have been flying PMDG airliners, it has taken me until today to realise that I can change the cockpit ambience sound effects in the CDU! I had noticed that adjusting this via the P3D sound menu did not have any effect, so I assumed that it was not possible. Now I can finally enjoy my flights without the loud hissing sound of the air conditioning system (or whatever it is supposed to be) :cool:

Can you share the sound settings from PMDG CDU

Thank you

Georgio

You want to know where to find them?

PMDG SETUP --> OPTIONS --> SOUNDS -> VOLUME LEVELS

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Current 737 pilot here. 

the -700…you can hear the engines in real life just like rhe NGXu.

the -800…you can still hear the engines just not as loud as the NGXu. Maybe like 80% as loud as the NGxu.

the -900… you can hear the engines around 50% as loud as the NGXu. 

these percentages are compared to having the volume set to 100% in the sound settings within the airplane. 

• Upvote 2

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

How do the engine sounds compare to the real thing in the original NGX (which is the one that I have installed)?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

You want to know where to find them?

PMDG SETUP --> OPTIONS --> SOUNDS -> VOLUME LEVELS

I know where it is i just need the sound levels setup numbers to adjust

Thank you

Georgio

The only one that I have changed for now is the COCKPIT AMBIENCE volume. I have reduced that to 40%.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

20 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

The only one that I have changed for now is the COCKPIT AMBIENCE volume. I have reduced that to 40%.

Thank you Christopher this is what i need..

Georgio