Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Useless

5 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Just made another flight into the NYC area, and got another CTD as I was getting down toward the ground.  Would someone be able to help me if I posted log info?

To save typing out the many steps you could take to check your setup, I would suggest you try the advice in the following link first: Best Graphics Settings Guide - Flight Simulator Blog after which you could check Performance Boost Tricks - Flight Simulator Blog

If none of that helps perhaps give us a breakdown of your PC like in my signature to see if that points to any weaknesses? None of us are clairvoyant (to the best of my knowledge) so you need to give us more to go on than simply blaming the software.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

7 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Just made another flight into the NYC area, and got another CTD as I was getting down toward the ground.  Would someone be able to help me if I posted log info?  In Win11, where/what would I look for?

Since you say these CTDs happen after the last update: did you do the „regular“ stuff like deleting shader cache and scenery / rolling cache if you use it at all? These seem to be the culprit for some CTDs. „Regular“ because I myself never had to delete my shader cache though and never ever used rolling cache anyway, always disabled since 2020 but you may check whether especially rolling cache is on as sometimes MSFS updates seemingly enable stuff which was not enabled before. Like rolling cache. Just a shot in the dark besides what was said here before like TAA instead of DLSS or DX11 versus DX12

Edited by DAD
  • Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

12 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well people  that have 250+ add ons, and keeping them all up to date is like juggling 5 balls at  the same time. 

Na', it's not that hard Bob, flightsim.to keeps track of all my downloads (about 320) and I update them in batches as they announce an update. I also use map enhancement (Bing Maps Latest). With a well tuned and maintained system crashes in MSFS are a very rare occurrence. 

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Since I installed MFS, almost 2 yrs have past, I got, maybe, 3 CTDs.... Since SU11 none at all...

MSF has been the most stable flight simulator I have used after IL-2.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I had a CTD last night while flying with TwotoneMurphy, but it's the first CTD in a few month. It just so happens that I had installed GAIST V3 so it could of been that.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

I maybe had 5 ctd's in the past 2 years with an unknown reason.

The rest were well known issues and either solved by a workaround, by a patch or SU  Others were caused by add ons.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Your problem is definitely on your side, I haven't have a CTD for about a year on my Steam account, and I have a lot of add-ons.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I must have had 20+ CTDs/irrecoverable freezes in the past 6 months. I consider this rock solid compared to FSX where hardly a session ended without a CTD.

4 hours ago, Amon1973 said:

I had a CTD last night while flying with TwotoneMurphy, but it's the first CTD in a few month. It just so happens that I had installed GAIST V3 so it could of been that.

yup i had issues today with GAIST V3 if i disable it the sim loads up, I do enable it the sim freezes when loading in at most airports.

It might be that it conflicts with the seafront vessels which i have too,  ill do some more testing next week and let you know the outcome.

But I agree with the others on here since su10 ive not had any ctds and find it quite stable.

disable GAIST and see what happens.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

On 12/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, andyjohnston.net said:

I can't speak for everyone, but there are so many CTDs now that this program has become essentially useless.

Hi, Andy.

I experienced a period of permanent CTDs and I sympathize with your discouragement.
On the official forum of MS you will see that you are not the only one, far from it.
Unfortunately, few of the solutions among those proposed are effective and reading the dozens of topics dealing with CTDs is a complete waste of time, some advice resembling more a session of bewitchment or spiritualism than a computer analysis. All that's missing is the voodoo doll. 😄

However, I can give you 2 pieces of advice that allowed me to considerably reduce the number of CTDs and finally benefit from MSFS.

1/ Download the free version of Driver Booster 10 (https://www.iobit.com) and update ALL the drivers on your PC.
2/ If that didn't help, uninstall and reinstall MSFS.
If you have a fast internet connection, it will take you 2 hours maximum. Unlike previous versions of FS or P3D, you won't lose any data and won't have to reinstall anything.

Good luck! 😉

• Like 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thx, I reinstalled MSFS already once in hopes of clearing up another issue with no success.  Just now I launched into safe mode and was able to fly around NYC, one area where I was having trouble before.  But then when I went to end the flight and go back to the main menu, it kicked me out to the desktop.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

On 12/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, andyjohnston.net said:

I can't speak for everyone, but there are so many CTDs now that this program has become essentially useless.

that's what my wife says !

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Hey Andy,

It's not surprising that some are getting offended by your post - we're all rather defensive of our amazing MSFS (rightly so).  But, we've also all been there before, where you are now - and it's miserable I know.   You're doing everything to try and get the stability but nothing seems to work.     Naturally, we're all human so we get reactive about it.   I think some here are forgetting that.

With one exception - @David Roch     The post I was going to post, is essentially covered by David's excellent post. 

In short, if you don't have anything in your Community Folder, then something config-wise is not right on your set up.  As David said, this is most commonly a display driver issue (eg. Nvidia drivers), so making sure you are on the very latest drivers will mean you can strike that one off the list.

Go into Nvidia Control Panel and set all options to the Nvidia defaults.

MSFS is also rather sensitive to hardware USB devices too.   So if you have a few devices connected, I'd suggest try unconnecting them all and trying a flight using the keyboard or mouse yoke (yes I know this will not be fun, but it will help eliminate a USB issue.  I had CTDs back in 2020 that were caused by my Logitech T.1600 joystick.   It took some finding!    I had to go to my PC's device manager, open up the USB devices and delete the driver.    Windows then reinstalls the driver automatically on the next start up and the problem was solved. 

Also make sure your copy of Win 10 (I'm assuming you're on Win 10) is fully updated.  Again MSFS is very sensitive to this.

In MSFS, set every graphics setting to "MEDIUM", turn off Real World AI Traffic, Multiplater and Real World weather.  This will set MSFS to a comfortable state where nothing is being pushed.  Try a 30 minute flight over somewhere not too demanding (not New York at this point).  Perhaps rural Minnesota, Scotland or anywhere in Africa! 

From there, you can increase settings and increase the demand.   MSFS will crash if settings are unrealistic for your hardware.

Wishing you the best of luck in getting it fixed up.

• Like 6

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

* Sorry for the double post but it's also worth mentioning that I had unexplained constant CTDs one other time (in a different sim). After many week, the cause turned out to be that one of my "RAM sticks" had slightly dislodged from the Motherboard, and I'd been running on 8GB RAM without knowing it.

So open up your PC case, give it a gentle vacuum, press to make sure all components are fully secured.

Worth a shot.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)