Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Useless

There was a period where i had a lot of CTDs but things have been very stable lately. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

On 12/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, andyjohnston.net said:

I can't speak for everyone, but there are so many CTDs now that this program has become essentially useless.

Commiserations Andy,
   My installation isn't entirely vanilla but I do try to keep it that way as much as possible. The only situation where I'ved had CTD's is when I flew previously saved flights. I don't do that now so I'm stable. I appreciate that a significant number of others do have CTD problems and it must be a right pain.
   However, I do have other issues with the platform and I'm currently giving it a break. Pretty scenery isn't enough at the moment.

Hope you can get it sorted for the new year.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

20 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

All current platforms are fairly stable and most CTDs could be attributed to user error or some incompatible addon. My issues with msfs revolve around its flight dynamins/weather combo as well as its being sandboxed so that no 3rd party can correct what's natively wrong. This, however, is a different story altogether.

So what has that got to do with this topic?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have only had 1 x CTD in 6 months and I do at least a 1 flight a day

Jason Richards

What I've not seen here so far (apologies if missed it and you already know all this) is what exception code your CTDs give you when the program crashes. That's really the best starting point to diagnose what's going on with MSFS - and of course do take note of the other useful advice and diagnostics suggested here,. 

So, if you look in the Windows Event Viewer after your last CTD, you will see in the left-hand pane under 'Event Viewer/Windows logs/Applications' a list containing details of an MSFS related error along with a timestamp. Highlight the one that just happened and look in the 'details' section at lower right, for the exception code.  If it is a hardware or program related issue you may see an exception code: 0xc0000005. That's a very common one I've experienced and often seen reported on this forum.

There's a lot of info around on MSFS and CTD error codes, much of it may not be enormously helpful to you; that's nobody's fault because Windows exception codes can often be quite general and could be caused by a lot things. If it's not that code, Google whatever exception code comes up. 

What that would likely be telling you though, is that it is probably not MSFS causing this (although it could be an add-on conceivably it may be hardware or input (USB) related). Then it's just a case of narrowing it down to an item of of hardware or software. Reinstalling MSFS won't help, but temporarily removing all your add-ons (via Addon-Linker) might narrow it down a little.

In my case when I had CTDs with MSFS it was a faulty memory slot on the Mobo. Solution: I replaced the Mobo and got an new computer effectively.

Hope this helps.

Good luck finding the cause.

Andy, I feel your pain. I have my own ongoing CTD issues and even removing everything from community doesn't fix it. To have some people in this thread tell you it's your fault makes it even worse. I'm about to the point of just giving up on MSFS.

James

The fact that only a few have persistant issues should be revealing.  My own CTDs are rare but I'm convinced they are due to faulty internet.

Past experience with sim crashes were almost always due to improper memory timings.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071

Andy, I can also sympathize with your plight.

When the sim first released until about November 2020 and whichever SU (maybe 5?) I suffered from many CTDs, usually, of course, on final.

I hope you find/get some relief, and soon.

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

On 12/30/2022 at 3:56 PM, andyjohnston.net said:

I can't speak for everyone, but there are so many CTDs now that this program has become essentially useless.

what a joke post ,,,,, millions of hours being played and then read your comment.

2 hours ago, Phantoms said:

Andy, I feel your pain. I have my own ongoing CTD issues and even removing everything from community doesn't fix it. To have some people in this thread tell you it's your fault makes it even worse. I'm about to the point of just giving up on MSFS.

Your probably best off doing a clean re-install of Windows and MSFS.  Your probably find everything on your PC will run better. It could be a windows problem causing the CTD.s

Jason Richards

Forgot to mention that I'd advise always doing  Windows Updates and Microsoft Store updates before running the sim.

sp

Found the reason for my regular CTD today by observation. It can be that simple sometimes, no matter if with the vanilla version or with 500 activated airports, 22 libraries and FSLTL > so fat orchestra.

My BT Keyboard goes to sleep after 30 minutes and when it reconnects, very good to see by the LEDs on the keyboard, then I have a long pause (about 30 seconds) and if I'm lucky the sim continues to run, otherwise the CTD just comes. This is reliably reproducible.

Seems to be a known problem:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-or-long-pause-when-using-bluetooth-keyboard/552068

Otherwise, the Sim is more stable than it has been for a long time, so you can't complain.

Edited by EDDB2020
  • Like 1

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

7 hours ago, EDDB2020 said:

Found the reason for my regular CTD today by observation. It can be that simple sometimes, no matter if with the vanilla version or with 500 activated airports, 22 libraries and FSLTL > so fat orchestra.

My BT Keyboard goes to sleep after 30 minutes and when it reconnects, very good to see by the LEDs on the keyboard, then I have a long pause (about 30 seconds) and if I'm lucky the sim continues to run, otherwise the CTD just comes. This is reliably reproducible.

Seems to be a known problem:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-or-long-pause-when-using-bluetooth-keyboard/552068

Otherwise, the Sim is more stable than it has been for a long time, so you can't complain.

Same goes for BT mouse.  Thought it was fixed with SU9 but the issue is back.

sp

May I provide a little bit of advice from my humble experience. This may appear as a little off at a tangent, as it's not aimed directly at CTDs but has the potential of saving you some serious heartache. There is a free backup software called Macrium Reflect. I have been using this since installing Windows 10, along with a vanilla MSFS. I religiously run a backup/image of both C drive and my D drive which holds MSFS and addons. I run this about every 2-4 weeks, so if anything happens and I need to run a backup, the most material I will lose is only 2-4 weeks old, so no big deal. I only run each backup when I know the sim has been running stable for some time. I also keep a little notebook of anythiing I have installed and a date it was installed. So I can see any changes that have been made between backups. I started this after experiencing regular CTDs and DLL issues in both FSX and P3D. However, in MSFS I have to admit, it has been the most stable sim (touch wood) I have flown in the past 14 years of flight simming. I think I can only recall a couple of crashes/freezes and that was in the early days of it's release. Macrium Reflect, as I say, is available as a free or payware version. Usual thing, the free version is limited on what it offers, but it provides everything you need to make simple and efficient backups. You will need an external drive to save your backups on, but with a standard SATA HD costing about £45 it's a cheap way of saving you some heartache. Don't do what I did for years and not bother, it's very simple and easy to use and will save you a shed load of anguish. 

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776