Sign in to follow this  
Bernard Ducret

What total immersion truly means...

Today, I started my flight with the - superb - (FSW) Cessna 414 on the tarmac of Kobe (RJBE) at 17.00 local time. 

Next to me were two (AIG) aircraft one B737 and one A320, two more aircraft were on approach to runway 9. When I started to taxi, I could spot five (GAIST v3) ships gliding next to the airport island (Kobe airport is - like Osaka - built on an artificial island), three huge container ships, one cargo and one tanker, more could be seen in the distance.

Having taken off, I turned right to my destination heading to Takamatsu, the sun was slowly setting down, glaring straight in my eyes, I lowered the sun screen and all was fine. ATC was busy talking to several aircraft on the frequency. The sky started to display nuances of yellow, orange, red and the ground was getting darker. On approach, my plane was gently "dancing" to the tune of very light turbulences, I landed on RWY 26 and taxied to my parking next to two (AIG) AI aircraft at their gates (These two excellent airport sceneries by the way are freeware at flightsim.to).

I shut down my engines and my PC. and went up for my supper... when I realised that it was morning at my home in Switzerland!  

Thanks to MSFS, I finally discovered what total immersion in a flight simulator means: When everything looks, feels and sounds so real that our mind is carried away into this virtual world.

• Like 32

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

You can indeed have very believable experiences with this sim. I totally agree! 🙂

Happy flying!

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Another spin on the realism of MSFS.

I live under the approach path of my local airport(I can hear and see every plane landing here).

I was just coming in from a two hour flight to my local airport. As I was getting set up for my approach I contacted ATC and got the ok to land on runway 25, a few seconds later I heard an Airbus A 320 asking ATC for clearance, he got the same runway. I landed ahead of him and taxied to the apron and shut everything down. As I took off my VR headset and my headphones I heard a real jet flying by my back window (it faces the airport). I said to myself "no way, this is coincidence". I hurried and went onto flightradar24 to see what was landing. Yup it was an A320. I couldn't believe it, I don't know if it was just coincidence or not but we have way more 737's landing here than Airbusses in real life and unfortunately I didn't remember the livery of the plane that landed after me(I had closed MSFS in my excitement to see what actually flew in). 

This is getting so real I'm almost expecting to hear my own plane flying by my back window lol. Just amazing what Microsoft, Osobo and some amazing developers are doing!

(side note, I use FSLTL traffic injector for live traffic in MSFS)

• Like 2

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

On 12/31/2022 at 7:23 AM, Bernard Ducret said:

Thanks to MSFS, I finally discovered what total immersion in a flight simulator means: When everything looks, feels and sounds so real that our mind is carried away into this virtual world.

Exactly...

Stephen Hood from Flight Sim World often referred to the "immersion" factor as he would talk about future plans (mission, passengers etc). Take On Helicopters was a short lived Heli Sim based around Seattle Washington with rescue missios etc. A great sim, but like FSW, it did not really take off to reach its potential.

MSFS is the "virtual" reality of what other failed platforms (with great potential / vision) could not get right for one reason or another. HPG's 145 with missions and an entire MSFS world to explore is (for me) the spiritual successor to TOH, and MSFS has definitely gone above and beyond what SH envisioned for FSW.

The immersion is there for all types of flying...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

It also helps to have a little imagination

I agree but in the early flight sim days it was all imagination.

Roy

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I agree but in the early flight sim days it was all imagination.

Roy

🤣🤣🤣 that's the most accurate statement ever made.. Had to be there to appreciate it.

• Like 1

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders