Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

DX12 and ground texture bleed through.

10 hours ago, Maxis said:

Also .. please note this isn't a VRAM issue. My Vram has never even come close to being maxed out .. topping out at 14 gigs out of 16 in the bad old unoptimized days. and on top of that im on 1440p so texture size isn't blowing vram usage out the water.

11 hours ago, Jazz said:

No, buddy. My card is in my sig.

The first time I saw this the first thing I checked was what my card was doing and how much VRAM was being used and it was nowhere near the limit. It's never been near the limit when it happens. The fact that this is happening to some people with way more VRAM than the sim is using and not happening to people with small amounts of VRAM that the sim can easily eat up suggests that this is an issue which has little or nothing to do with reaching a physical limit and points to some other kind of problem. That problem could be any number of many things and I'm sure they will fix it eventually.

11 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

Virtually same rig, absolutely the same result.

All of you guys are AMD GPU owner which tells me maybe in your case the memory management doesn't have anything to do with the ground texture bleeding. For us Nvidia GPU owners is completely related the GPU VRAM exhausted.

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Just now, ttbq1 said:

For us Nvidia GPU owners is completely related the GPU VRAM exhausted.

No - read my post above.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

When following this topic and see the tests (thank you!) my best guess is this:

• DX11 has VRAM management on board. The system handles the overload, whether it's exceeding VRAM or some other issue is at place.
  • DX12 VRAM needs to be managed by the software developer. Maybe that's where Asobo needs to be doing the tweaking.
Edited by bvdboomen
  • Upvote 1

Argument against VRAM connection: if you go to dev mode and use airport debug, the bug instantly disappears. If it would be related to VRAM, using airport debug would not work...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Not VRAM in my opinion.  As others have said, I have had this occasionally in DX12 when my VRAM usage in nowhere near limits. 
It is just a simple DX12 'bug' that needs to be corrected I think. 

People seem to forget, DX12 in MSFS is still in development, they have told people to try it as a 'preview' if you want to.  Simple user choice.

They have not fully started on DX12 optimisation yet, which in other titles, does deliver some modest but worthwhile performance gains.
At the moment, it just seems to be a straight DX11 to DX12 'port over', or I believe as someone said, 'DX11 running in a DX12 wrapper', with the smoothness / memory management currently the only real advantage. 

Reports of better graphics / colouring in DX12 have to be taken with a pinch of salt.  On my system I simply get a bit of extra smoothness for a small loss in overall FPS, but there isn't much in it either way.

I think they will slowly improve DX12 this year, and as someone else said, they are aware of this bug that needs fixing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Argument against VRAM connection: if you go to dev mode and use airport debug, the bug instantly disappears. If it would be related to VRAM, using airport debug would not work...

@bobcat999 @AnkH @SierraDelta @Maxis @Jazz

you guys are completely right, today I had my firts ground texture bleed with DX12 at SAME with VRAM at 13GB, way below the 24GB limit.

I followed the above advice of running the airport debug and it went back to normal.

sorry for the misinformation, I tried to remove my post with the test but haven't been succesful.

Edited by ttbq1
  • Like 5

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

5 hours ago, ttbq1 said:

@bobcat999 @AnkH @SierraDelta @Maxis @Jazz

you guys are completely right, today I had my firts ground texture bleed with DX12 at SAME with VRAM at 13GB, way below the 24GB limit.

I followed the above advice of running the airport debug and it went back to normal.

sorry for the misinformation, I tried to remove my post with the test but haven't been succesful.

No problem Ramon.  You could only go on what you see at the time.  Thanks for coming back with the correction / new information.  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Really good information on this issue on this thread. I am running a 6800 XT and have the issue as well and consequently keep to DX11.

Question for 40xx owners: I was considering switching back to team green for frame regeneration, but I believe that is not available under DX11, correct?

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

16 hours ago, alepro21 said:

Really good information on this issue on this thread. I am running a 6800 XT and have the issue as well and consequently keep to DX11.

Question for 40xx owners: I was considering switching back to team green for frame regeneration, but I believe that is not available under DX11, correct?

Thats correct DX12 only.

• Like 1

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

Sadly, now not even the "workaround" using DEV mode fixes the bug for more than just some minutes on my end. Really, really annoying. I anyway wonder why DX12 is still in BETA status more than two years after release, shouldn't something that is even marked as (BETA) in the sim be top priority to get out of BETA status?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

52 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Sadly, now not even the "workaround" using DEV mode fixes the bug for more than just some minutes on my end. Really, really annoying. I anyway wonder why DX12 is still in BETA status more than two years after release, shouldn't something that is even marked as (BETA) in the sim be top priority to get out of BETA status?

Yeah it’s kinda insane that this is still an issue. You’d think they’d want to put their best foot forward in Microsoft’s sim that uses Microsoft’s own graphics API… 

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

So I had this happen just now on DX12 at MCO (enhanced Asobo model). The fix that works for me is to turn off "Bing Data World Graphics" then Apply, turn it back on, apply again. It takes a moment but it does work. I was unaware of the Dev mode work around but I will try that next time. I also agree that its kinda crazy that a MS product in its 3rd year of active release still has DX12 as beta...

Edited by McLaren

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

1 minute ago, McLaren said:

So I had this happen just now on DX12 at MCO (enhanced Asobo model). The fix that works for me is to turn off "Bing Data World Graphics" then Apply, turn it back on, apply again. It takes a moment but it does work. I was unaware of the Dev mode work around but I will try that next time. I also agree that its kinda crazy that a MS product in its 3rd year of active release still has DX12 as beta...

Interesting, and the fix then "stays"? So far, all "fixes" DO work and bring the missing textures back, but some minutes later, e.g. when taxiing to the active, it re-appears. And I am not really keen to do those "fixes" all the time repeatedly...

Greetings, Chris

9 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Interesting, and the fix then "stays"? So far, all "fixes" DO work and bring the missing textures back, but some minutes later, e.g. when taxiing to the active, it re-appears. And I am not really keen to do those "fixes" all the time repeatedly...

I have had to do this a number of times but never on the same flight i.e. - I did it once at MCO while parked, ran the "fix" and was fine on the taxi across the airport from AS2 to 18L. If I turn around and go back to MCO right now I would probably be okay. If I restart the the simulator and go back to MCO it could be fine, or I may see some squares of Bing maps data breaking through the airport model and need to do the settings off/on change again. 

Edited by McLaren

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W