Morning All,

I'm looking for advice on the best GPU for XPlane?

I'm a bit tempted by the 4090, however I don't currently use 4K (yet) and the price is very steep.
The newly announced 4070TI is a possibility but the 12GB of inbuilt memory doesn't seem that much?
I've just completed a new build, using my old GPU but currently the FPS are not what I was expecting, after following Q8 Pilots XPlane set up video for a medium PC build.

In the Hot Start Challenger 650 , I'm getting 22-28 FPS at EGGP. 

My current build is:

Windows 11
I9-13900K
64GB DDR5
1080TI GPU

Thanks,

James

Edited by James_R

James Roberts

Mine runs just great in an RTX 3060Ti

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What screen resolution? Up to 2k (1440p) the 1080Ti should provide good fps.
Performance wise it is very similar to the 3060Ti used by cagarini and XP does not use any of the RTX features.

Check the FPS counter to see where the bottleneck is

If you are under Linux never take a graphic card from AMD. Up til now I can not use the ToLiss A321 with XP12.

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

AMD is bad for XP12 and MFS in Win 11 too.

AMD is shoyt card for gamming...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

41 minutes ago, cagarini said:

AMD is bad for XP12 and MFS in Win 11 too.

You are wrong, the only problem with AMD is X-Plane 12 alle my other sims and gams runs fine with over 55 FPS+ - My rig is a Ryzen 5 5600 / RX 6600 XT 8 GB - Runs XP 12 with 45-55 FPS witout plugins (SASL plugins makes problems for AMD) - So don't come with such statements, bec you are wrong :-)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, jr6000dk said:

You are wrong, the only problem with AMD is X-Plane 12 alle my other sims and gams runs fine with over 55 FPS+ - My rig is a Ryzen 5 5600 / RX 6600 XT 8 GB - Runs XP 12 with 45-55 FPS witout plugins (SASL plugins makes problems for AMD) - So don't come with such statements, bec you are wrong 🙂

No no no I am right. 

No no no no no, no no no...

Alexis told me AMD shoyt for MFS too

Alexis sold RX and bought Nvidia and is now Happy in both XP12 and MFS.

AMD = Avoid Miserable Display 🤣

Main Simulation Rig:

My 6800xt runs great in all games except XP12 with 2xmsaa setting. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Similar dilemma, but XP only used in VR.
Excluding, due to the price of the 4090, what would be the best choice (I don't want AMD):
- 4070 Ti
- 3090Ti

Until last week I ran an 8 gig 2080 reasonably fine for the last 3.5 years. That said i have been pushing it about as far as it can go. last week i replaced it with the RX 7800XT. I had been seriously considering a 4080 or the newly about to be released hi-end 4070 but as i have a smaller case they would not fit. So, my computer shop manager suggested i have a look at the 7900XT/XTX which i researched in depth. Bought a XT, would have bought the XTX had one been available but that is like saying if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle,, and to my pleasant surprise the XT works very well - no complaints and within reason I'm a horsepower junky. I've been an Nvidia guy for a long time but am glad I widened my thinking to include the new 7900 series. Worth having a look at. Another bonus factor is it was/is the least expensive of the lot. FYI: my cpu is a I9-9900K, 32 gigs on slower ram by today's standards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cagarini said:

If it wasn't for XP12's issues, I'd give AMD an unrestricted "thumbs up" for gaming on Linux.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

7 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

If it wasn't for XP12's issues, I'd give AMD an unrestricted "thumbs up" for gaming on Linux.

Linux is shoyt - Linux makes my work life a mess. I hate Linux!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

There are issues with AMD hardware, that AMD themselves have acknowledged.  Some of which they have addressed and fixed because of their communications with Laminar.  Laminar can't fix what is on AMD's plate to fix.  It's almost exactly the same as MSFS getting poor performance under DX12, and people going back to DX11 for the better performance, expecting Asobo to fix the performance issues.

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, cagarini said:

Linux is shoyt - Linux makes my work life a mess. I hate Linux!!!

Funny, I hate Windows because it makes my work life a mess. Stalemate.

Edited by Bjoern
  • Like 2

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

6 hours ago, James_R said:

I9-13900K

XP likes a good GPU even if you're not at high res. Lots of GPU compute happening now that isn't necessarily coloring pixels.

12 Gb VRAM is sufficient for time being. I see ~10gig in use with scenery and acf addons using 4k textures.

My 13700k is a decent balance w/ a 6750xt, but does occasionally stop to smell the roses. With sliders maxed at 1080p, it's never the other way around.

lInUX iS mOSt beStEsT :)

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...