Sign in to follow this  
michal

GPS Approach with Vertical Guidance

>But also you know what they say about "assuming". ;-)Very long time ago I received a letter that told me I was guaranteed one of these 3 prizes:1. $5000 cash2. 36" brand new color TV. Shipping cost (paid by me) around $80.3. brand new portable sauna/spa. Shipping cost (paid by me) around $150.(per my recollection)I 'assumed' that with this offer I simply can't lose. For any unsuspecting mind the 'worst' possible prize was the brand new TV. How different it turned out to be .... :-badteethMichael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Yea, it's called VASI. :D

>Is it possible to fly a GPS approach with vertical guidance>in FSX (or FS9)? I'm able to load and activate a GPS approach>but no vertical guidance is given. I'm choosing GPS>approaches where I'm expecting vertical guidance. Does the FS>navdata include LPV and LNAV/VNAV approaches? Would 3rd party>GPS (e.g., simflyers GNS 480) show this?>>Thanks,>C.The Cessna's in FSX have vertical guidance with ILS approaches. As for GPS I'm not sure.I was surprised when I had to do an ILS landing due to a change in weather. As for any others I don't know yet as of now.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>Umm,>>WAAS depends on ground based equipment. That's why it only>works in the lower 48, since that's the only area in the world>that has the ground based WAAS stations. Europe has its own>system similar to WAAS, however.>>ThomasI remember when they first started talking about using the WAAS systems, etc..I was kinda surprised to see most of the cheaper homeuser GPS's have WAAS capability these days.I didn't realize that system would be usable by alleventually. My hand held Magellan Meridian has WAAS. Sure helpsaccuracy over the older stock systems. They claim a res of 3m or less. In testing mine, if I let it stayon a while and get good and stable with a lot of visiblesat's, it's often good to about 5 ft if you are careful. Not too bad. I've got a few acres up in OK, and I useit to know where my property lines and corners are.Like I say, if you let the GPS get good and stable, I can usually be within about 5 feet, which is less than 2m. You have to be careful though, and it's best to usemultiple readings, and then take an average if you arereally trying to pin down a location as close as possible.The GPS will shift around, wobble back and forth a bit, etc..Due to all the movement of the earth, sat positions, etc..This error is mainly what the WAAS corrects. All the ground reference stations collect the data, and send it to the twomaster stations. They then come up with a correction messageand it's sent by one of the geostationary sats in the system.I think there are two of those.. Not sure though..MK