Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Tobii Eye Tracker 5

I have been a user of TrackIR 5 for many years and just changed to Tobii Eye Tracker 5. It is such an improvement for me. I don't use VR and have no plans too. So this just works for me right out of the box. I am manly a low and slow pilot and don't do tube liners and just like to look around. The Tobii is such an immersion improvement. It just works.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

My venerable TrackIR might not last much longer and was thinking about Tobii as a replacement. If you had TrackIR in the past, any comments on the similarities/ differences?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

There are many good Youtube comparison and set up videos. I like the freedom of the combination of the head and eye tracking. Plus the setup is very simple and it is completely customizable. The variations are endless, I just love it, no going back for me.          

I used  Track IR with FSX for a few years and really liked it. I have had Tobii for a few months now with MSFS and really love it. Once you have it set up you forget it's there and just look around and the view moves!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Air1 said:

I have been a user of TrackIR 5 for many years and just changed to Tobii Eye Tracker 5. It is such an improvement for me. I don't use VR and have no plans too. So this just works for me right out of the box. I am manly a low and slow pilot and don't do tube liners and just like to look around. The Tobii is such an immersion improvement. It just works.  

You read my mind. I'm at the point where I'm thinking about replacing my trusty IR5 and been considering this as an option. What makes it better? How does the accuracy compare? The pause and centre buttons? How long does it keep track before needing centering compared to TrackIR?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 minute ago, Jazz said:

You read my mind. I'm at the point where I'm thinking about replacing my trusty IR5 and been considering this as an option. What makes it better? How does the accuracy compare? The pause and centre buttons? How long does it keep track before needing centering compared to TrackIR?

I have a bright window behind my setup and Track IR would not work without closing the shades & curtains.  The Tobii does not seem to be affected by the light at all.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I prefer it to Track IR.  It took me a bit of time to find the sensitivity settings in MSFS that work best for me, but now that I've found my sweet-spot, it's great.

You can map the center/reset function to anything you want (I'm using the space bar) and the toggle head tracking on/off can also be mapped to whatever you want.

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

4 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

I have a bright window behind my setup and Track IR would not work without closing the shades & curtains.  The Tobii does not seem to be affected by the light at all.

Actually I prefer gaming with the curtains closed, does Tobii do ok in dark rooms?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

13 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I prefer it to Track IR.  It took me a bit of time to find the sensitivity settings in MSFS that work best for me, but now that I've found my sweet-spot, it's great.

You can map the center/reset function to anything you want (I'm using the space bar) and the toggle head tracking on/off can also be mapped to whatever you want.

As scotchegg asked, how does it cope with dark rooms?

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

9 minutes ago, Jazz said:

As scotchegg asked, how does it cope with dark rooms?

I just turned off the lights and gave it a try.

Works perfectly.     

• Like 1

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

I have 3 trackers: TrackIr 5, Grassmonkey King Puck and Tobii Eye Tracker 5. All are great. The main issues are the following:

Tobii: If you use a TV as a monitor, the distance from the tv to your eyes may be a little too far affecting precision (might feel wobbly).

Grassmonkey: The camera picks up a lot of light interference. For best results the room must be dark. Also, the distance from your position to where the camera recognizes the wireless puck is not too good (you have to be close to the camera).

TrackIr5: Still the king regrading detection, responsiveness and precision. The drawback is that is wired and for extended gaming periods its annoying having a cable moving everywhere.

I've been using Tobii the last few days after been jumping back and forth with the other two trackers and it's great. Need a lot of time to reach that sweet spot but it's worth it.

If you use monstertech table mounts or if you use a tv as monitor (and using Honeycomb products), I recommend using an acrylic display riser (Amazon). Works like a charm.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Intel i9 13900KS - MSI MEG Z790 ACE Gaming - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - Corsair 32GB DDR5 7200MHz Dominator Platinum RGB - Samsung 1TB + 3x 2TB 980 Pro M.2 SSD Raid 0 - LG 4K 55" OLED C1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 PSU - Virpil Constellation Alpha L & R Grips + MongoosT-50CM2 Grip + MongoosT-50CM2 Base + MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + Control Panel #2 + Ace Collection Pedals - Honeycomb Alpha XPC + Bravo - Stream Deck XL + PLUS - Corsair K100 OPX RGB Platinum + Nightsword RGB + MM800 RGB Polaris + 7000D Airflow Black Case - Tobii Eye Tracker 5 using OpenTrack - Wharfedale Evo 4.2 Speakers - SVS SB-2000 Pro Subwoofer - Bluesound POWERNODE - Herman Miller Embody Chair Black - ButtKicker Gamer PRO

11 minutes ago, Dexter1979 said:

I have 3 trackers: TrackIr 5, Grassmonkey King Puck and Tobii Eye Tracker 5. All are great. The main issues are the following:

Tobii: If you use a TV as a monitor, the distance from the tv to your eyes may be a little too far affecting precision (might feel wobbly).

Grassmonkey: The camera picks up a lot of light interference. For best results the room must be dark. Also, the distance from your position to where the camera recognizes the wireless puck is not too good (you have to be close to the camera).

TrackIr5: Still the king regrading detection, responsiveness and precision. The drawback is that is wired and for extended gaming periods its annoying having a cable moving everywhere.

I've been using Tobii the last few days after been jumping back and forth with the other two trackers and it's great. Need a lot of time to reach that sweet spot but it's worth it.

If you use monstertech table mounts or if you use a tv as monitor (and using Honeycomb products), I recommend using an acrylic display riser (Amazon). Works like a charm.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for this considered post. Informative.

I see your rig is is the same as mine in that you have the keyboard mounted the exact same way over the Alpha and Bravo🤣🤣 Although I have a cloth that prevents my board damaging the surface of the two because i'm too fussy. LOL it's pretty much identical.

You confirmed my suspicions that TrackIR is still the most accurate. I can live with the wires, I have them guided and running in such a way that you really don't know they are there...(ex light ad sound technician) and as long as you have a place to hang your headset and the corresponding lines then all is good.

P.S. Fallout fan as well.....

Edited by Jazz

I see Tobii can also be used with the most recent Assassin’s Creed games. Does anybody have any experience with this?

I bought Tobii 5 during their Christmas sale, and love it in MSFS. Every bit as good as TrackIR, and a lot more convenient too.

One thing I only discovered yesterday is Tobii Game Hub, which is a separate download from the Tobii eye-tracker app itself. It detects the supported games that you have installed, and you can adjust parameters, sensitivity and response curves from within it.

@scotchegg  I only own Odyssey, so I might re-install it and see how well Tobii works. Have a look on Youtube - there are quite a few videos about Tobii and the Assassin's Creed series of games.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org