Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Help with FSX

Guest RobbyGatHome

Hi Everyone. This is a serious plea for help. I've had FSX for awhile now. At first I suffered incredibly with CTD's. They were unpredictable, no one scenario or state of the sim would replicate the CTD to narrow it down. That was solved by the purchase of a sound card rather than rely on the on board Realtek sound card. Since then I have, mercifully, been CTD free. I have been pretty disappointed with the number of scenery addons for FSX, specifically South African, so I've been flying FS9 most of the time, and FSX when I feel like a little bit of fun. FSX ran great, the blurries were acceptable, about the same level of those I had flying FS9, so I was happy to live with that. Then, I loaded SP1. And I tried the "recommended" settings for FSX direct from Nvidia. WOW. Awesome frame rates, if I keep light bloom turned off that is. I was able to maintain 18- 24 on the ground (albeit with traffic turned about half way) and locked at 30 in the air. The sim was silky smooth. The moment I achieved an altitude of 10 000ft however, I noticed something I hadn't seen since FS2002. Blurries whoose only goal is to take over my sim world and destroy any fun I was having.Since then I have tried virtually (pardon the pun) every tweak I could find. I included fibre frame fraction, I played around the texture bandwidth multiplier, I loaded the latest Nvidia drivers, turned off the filtering in the sim in an attempt to let the card handle it, then I get shimmers and "graded sky" textures. The minute I turn on texture filtering in the sim the blurries return. I tried replicating some changes alluded to in various CFG file uploads. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I've even tried some autogen tweaks in the hope of sorting it out. I read the PDF on "type 3" blurries by a member of the aces team and I have to say I'm at a loss. I don

Hi Rob, I am afraid this reply is more of commiserating with you than actual help. You certainly have the HP to run FSX. I have never heard of the 10,000 feet problem before. You would think it would be better at altitude?Are sure some other program isn

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

What kind of scenery are you looking for (airports, towns, terrain, etc.)? If you have the Deluxe version of FSX then you can use the Object Placement Tool that comes in the SDK. I have used this a lot and it is fairly simple, however MS doesn't tell you how to use it. To solve that problem you can download Luis F

Guest RobbyGatHome

Hi John,Thanks for the reply. It's not only at 10 000 ft. That's when it really becomes apparent. Then it gets progressively worse. I have nothing else running, barring the raid driver and an internet connection for weather so I don't see that anything could be robbing memory. Perhaps FSX doesn't like being installed on a raided drive... Hope we don't "wait and see" too long. I'd really like to get into this sim. Just the other day I was thinking perhaps we are returning to the good/ugly cycle of FS. FS2002=ugly, FS9=good, FSX=ugly. I hope the developers haven't thought on those lines too.

Guest RobbyGatHome

I was mainly looking for airports in the South African area, similar to the aeroworx scenery for FS9. I have the terrain they released and that works well. Maybe I should give the Object Placement Tool a go.