Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Honestly, XP12 scenery is not looking bad at all.

I think we're all tired of hearing that things are going to improve, that someone who knows someone at Laminar heard something but is not allowed to tell us and so on.

As I said in previous posts, it only takes Laminar an update to the mesh to drastically improve scenery. They already started adding new buildings that look a lot better than the previous (and sometimes even better than the other sim), and that alone made scenery look a whole lot better.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

I think we're all tired of the regular complainers who are never happy.  No matter what comes out.  Even when something positive gets posted, someone always has to post something negative.  

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

A comparison between default scenery and ortho + hd mesh:

https://imgur.com/a/yv0sL7S

(disregard the ortho itself, compare the resolution of the mesh)

They are different. But none of them looks bad, imho. I, personally, would not spend any meaningful amount of time trying to turn one into the other.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

11 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

First this is MSFS

[Image]

Probably just bad timing in the image, but this looks like as if somebody cut and pasted a DC-3 into a photo of some scenery as the lighting just doesn't match at all.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

6 hours ago, GoranM said:

Tell me how you really feel.

If the mods don't take that comment down something's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Pure hyperbole; i.e., BS. Which, frankly, ruins the positive tone set by OP....

And if this is really what you think, your head's in the sand....

It is NOT light years ahead, nor is it running rings around anything, either....

I believe you have the perfect tag for those comments:  Pure hyperbole.  Was it from as you say having his head in the sand, is not deeply familiar w/ MSFS personally?  Or was it delivered to be inflammatory, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception?  Certainly the former is excusable if naive.  The latter qualifies as part of the full definition of trolling.  A third option is:  he's just leading the pep rally, even if the content is...pure hyperbole.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

14 minutes ago, Noel said:

I believe you have the perfect tag for those comments:  Pure hyperbole.  Was it from as you say having his head in the sand, is not deeply familiar w/ MSFS personally?  Or was it delivered to be inflammatory, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception?  Certainly the former is excusable if naive.  The latter qualifies as part of the full definition of trolling.  A third option is:  he's just leading the pep rally, even if the content is...pure hyperbole.

An X-Plane dev trolling the X-Plane forums?  Oh…wow!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Noel said:

Does MSFS or DCS or any other sim have even one single aircraft within light years of

yet? - let alone multiple fairly comparable aircraft already out and dropping soon

Because Goran is already working on the next generation of that... And I for one am very very much looking forward to what "better than the CL650" looks like (but if it isnt VR sexy imma be mad)

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

If the shoe doesn't fit by all means don't wear them 🤷‍♂️.  Okay now I see the 4th option:  you're an XP dev!  My bad, missed the real reason for pure hyperbole 😉

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

8 hours ago, GoranM said:

Tell me how you really feel.

As a paid customer of yours (in the sense that I still value your products enough to consider paying the premium), but mostly one who regularly spends money on flight sim, you should take heed.

Why? Well, though I'm very happy with with my current collection of X-Plane addons (including the ones still pending their v12 updates), I'm just not inclined to purchase any additional ones.

And not at all because of inherent problems with X-Plane (oh, no - I enjoy the heck out of it - v12 in particular), but because I'm not seeing enough product differentiation between the addons here vs there to make me actually press the "Buy" button for another X-Plane addon.

In short, the Value Proposition is no longer great enough when it comes to premium products such as yours that cost 2 - 3 (or more!) times as much as other High Fidelity addons available across the sims.

3 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Probably just bad timing in the image, but this looks like as if somebody cut and pasted a DC-3 into a photo of some scenery as the lighting just doesn't match at all.

That is quite possible the image was provided on another forum by a member of the MSFS cult! I happened to have done the same flight in P3DV5 at the time so had a comparison, the XP12 shot is just for again to compare - scenery yes but the models more so!

Edited by coastaldriver

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

Does MSFS or DCS or any other sim have even one single aircraft within light years of

yet? - let alone multiple fairly comparable aircraft already out and dropping soonBecause Goran is already working on the next generation of that... And I for one am very very much looking forward to what "better than the CL650" looks like (but if it isnt VR sexy imma be mad)

Both DCS and MSFS certainly have aircraft with better cockpit texturing than this thing.  A quick search of YouTube (a la' mSparks) seems to indicate it's a frame rate hog too.

He knows a lot more about the answer to this question than he is allowed to tell us (including me).

Yep - I know, and I'm hopeful LR will continue to improve in the area of default scenery (and the outward signs are GOOD!).

Fundamentally, imho, most non impulse sales are for 3PD products i.e. they buy X-Plane because of the CL650, IEXG737, VSL R44/R66, zibo, dare I say it the Sparky744 (not there yet, but getting close); rather than the other way around.

In fact DCS built its entire business model around this idea.

Agreed entirely, and this is easy to see when you read the "should I buy X-Plane" questions from MSFS owners. There are plenty of Great-by-Any-Standard addons available in XP. And when you combine the Value Prop of X-Plane with those Hi Fi addons, it becomes (to me) an easy choice to make.

DCS World is a great example - the World part is good but not great, BUT the across the board fidelity/quality of the addons themselves completely overshadow the World's own shortcomings.
Much the same with XP, and it's fair to say that the inverse is true for MSFS (i.e., the world is great, the addons not so much).

The point, though, is that the Entire Package is what sells the addons/sims. Right now, it's easy for me to jump into X-Plane v12 and have a genuinely good time.  There is a broad array of Hi Fi addons, from ultra lights to helos to jumbo jets (and with the new Tomcat, even some great .Mil action!). And the total flight experience there is more than enough.

But the inverse value prop for MSFS is also becoming more of a reality, too. So as the flight model and systems depth there increases, the more the lines of preference blur...

In any case, I agree with you that LR have hit a home run when it comes to addressing the "deficiencies" of X-Plane v11, and I'm quite satisfied with v12, even at this early "x.00" point in time.

But I will keep my head about me when it comes to comparisons 🙂

Edited by UrgentSiesta