Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Something fun for helicopters in MSFS

If you’re looking for something real world to do that will give you a chance to hone your helicopter skills, might I suggest power line inspections.

Check out this video from a lineman who had the chance to go up in a Bell 206L to do some line inspections (it’s otherwise a fascinating channel if you’ve ever wondered how all the stuff you see on utility poles works).

With the various helicopters now available for the sim, plus the power line freeware addon (https://flightsim.to/file/26186/powerlines-and-solar-farms).

It’s a mixture of steady low altitude flying mixed with the need to climb over populated areas then back down to the Powerlines.

I’m going to give it a try this afternoon.

In case anyone is wondering, the first airfield shown in the video is CCY3 Sussex (i think), the airport he eventually departs from is certainly CYSJ Saint John.

Have fun and don’t fry your helicopter! 😀

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If you want to see something really crazy, look up the vids of the people who *fix* live powerlines from helicopters. Whatever those guys are getting paid, it ain't enough!

I’ve seen those!  Amazing that you can touch a high voltage line in the air like that without it killing you!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

37 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I’ve seen those!  Amazing that you can touch a high voltage line in the air like that without it killing you!

Pretty sure they cut power on the lines before doing any maintenance. 

4 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Pretty sure they cut power on the lines before doing any maintenance. 

Not generally unless they have to physically drop the line. As he stated in the video, the chopper and the people in it are not grounded so essentially they become one with the system and can easily handle the 345,000 volts. Were they to somehow be grounded however - instant crisps!

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ah, ok, had no idea. When I worked as an electrician we never worked on something that wasn't disconnected.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Ah, ok, had no idea. When I worked as an electrician we never worked on something that wasn't disconnected.. 

In that case, never apply to be an electrician in Spain, they do it all of time. its frightening to watch.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

7 minutes ago, Espana Pete said:

In that case, never apply to be an electrician in Spain, they do it all of time. its frightening to watch.

Everytime im been to Spain and Portugal for vacation I get scared of just looking at the cables hanging around everywhere that looks like a 3 year old set up:p. Luckily in those countries electricity isnt used for heating so the load on the system is much less than in my country Norway. 

Sometimes though we did work with power on, but it was to save time and was way out of protocol. Have got bit a few times. 

Edited by Kaboki