Sign in to follow this  
Wilbert

FSX & Vista 64 Trouble Trouble Trouble...

In hopes of being ready for upcoming improvements in Flightsim, I've built a new system with the specs. below. My memory passes all ram test so I know that is not a problem. My graphics card appear to be working properly however, FSX keeps giving my system the Blue Screen after about 3 to 6 mins. of working. I've reinstalled the OS and FSX w/SP1 and all updates for OS. I've even modified FSX.exe header for >32gb. I log on as Administrator and install as Administrator but I always get the Blue Screen after a while. Should I log on as a user or Administrator for FSX & addons installs? I'm sure someone should have Vista 64 and FSX running OK. My CPU and OS is configured to not go into any kind of idle time. I've become frustrated. Any suggestions other than going back to XP?Thanks,WilbertAbit AW9D-MaxThermaltake W0106 700W PSUIntel QX6700 QuadcoreVista Ultimate 644x1G Ballistix Tracer (PC2 8500)2x150GB SATA WD Raptor - Non Raid2x320GB SATA WD SE16 - Non Raid2x IDE Light-On DVDRW 165H65BFG 8800GTX OC2 768MB 626MHz Core Clock3x SILENX 120X25MM FANS + 2x 10in XCLIO Wind Tunnel Case FansDanger Den Water CoolingEnermax temp/fan controller

To be honest - given the newness of Vista and FSX - I would probably install the very stable FS9 (assuming you have it) and run it as intensely as possible for a couple of hours. If that does run fine - then it IS an FSX issue.Sorry - can't help you there. CPU's require idle time for housekeeping: this must be a Vista thing.Are you using any addons? Can you actually get airborne? Does it only happen when switching screens? We could use a bit more information.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for responding. Yes I do logon to Vista automatically as administrator and I have configured my BIOS not to throttle down the CPU and have configured OS not slow down CPU processing in any case. The only addons I've tried has been Citation X from Wilco, xClass USA (cloud9), and UTX w/update from FlightOne. I long ago gave up on Citation X - and I reformatted both drives, "C" and "D"-(where I install FSX), and reinstalled Vista, and FSX. FSX will run without problems if none of the sceneries addons are installed however whenever I install either one - FSX doesn't only crash to desktop - it crashes Vista. I thought this was suppose to be one of the things that Vista would not do. The problem might be a video thing (getting too hot) - I have 2, 10in. case fans blowing across video card. I've run 3dMark, and Lost Planet demo with no problem. I'm trying everything I can to avoid going back to XP with FS9 & FSX. I had them with all addons working supurb. Eventually, I hope to find the problem.Wilbert

Try cleaning out your setuphave a minimal systemtake 2 mems out = 2GBuse the regular fanuse the minimum amount of Drives installed.could be a Heat spike, or incompatible rams, or bad HD writes / set your HDs to non-cache, use only the latest video drivers from your Card manufacturer, not NVidia.com, chk your rams with Memtest86, use Rivatuner to monitor/log the temp of your card etcFSX uses All the resources it can get (and not flawless), any tiny misconfig will crash the system, while any other game would run (been there, 1 of my Rams was bad, and that was not even the problem)my 2 cts mt

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

I had the same problem and was able to resolve it in a couple of ways. First make sure the latency settings are accourding to your ram specifications. Second, look for the exe browser that will allow you to set fsx to go for a full 2gigs of ram. I'm not in town right now but if you google it you should find it. follow the instructions and it should solve your problems. I love the 64bit but had a lot of blue screen problems for awhile. Ram, video drivers, and sound drivers all played a role. So my suggestions are just for FSX.Good luck. When you get up and running you will love the 64bit performance.Capt.Mac

>FSX will run without problems if none of the sceneries addons>are installed however whenever I install either one>- FSX doesn't only crash to desktop - it crashes Vista.If FSX runs without any problem without the scenery addons and does crash with the extra scenery installed, you have found your problem. You can be sure it's not hardware related.Something in the scenery add-ons makes either your FSX or Vista crash. A search on either of the add-ons might bring up some results...?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR