Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Calling all 737 Drivers and Know Alls

6 hours ago, Jazz said:

🤣

Such as what? They are a 737's nipples and they produce milk for the pilots coffee? 🤣

Real pilots don't put milk in their coffee.

• Upvote 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

So we went from a light to a microphone, to a milk producing nipple and now a light sensor. Hmmmm. 🙂

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

This is cdu remote light sensor. There are 2 ones, one for f/o side one for captain side. These sensors send brightness datas outboard du’s. And there are also bezels on all du’s to calculate brightness. Automatic brightness control function uses inputs from both the remote light sensor’s on the glareshield and the bezel light sensors on the individual du’s…

• Like 1

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

I was told long ago that they're the CAMs for the CVR.  There is also one on the overhead, on the CVR panel, so I guess it's possible the mechanic was wrong.  I will say, though, that the CDS brightness does not change when you cover them with your food tray after dinner, so if they're light sensors I'm not sure they're doing much.  😉

Andrew Crowley

So my original theory of it being a light sensor was correct after all.....

Microphones, lamps and nipples indeed....... Ask an expert, eh?  🤣

Cheers guys, this one has been fun. I can't wait to see what they are tomorrow.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Got bored enough to actually look it up.  I'll be darned, looks like they actually are light sensors for the displays.  The mechanic I asked was straight up wrong; I'm surprised.

The thing is, they really don't seem to do much to the brightness of the screens when you cover them, or for that matter when they're hit with a flashlight if you're checking the wiper bolt for ice.  So, unsure how they're actually used.  In contrast, the sensors in the displays themselves are very sensitive to light or shadow.

These on the glareshield don't affect the HGS brightness; that sensor is on the combiner.

JpXVitb0_t.jpg

• Like 1

Andrew Crowley

1 minute ago, Stearmandriver said:

Got bored enough to actually look it up.  I'll be darned, looks like they actually are light sensors for the displays.  The mechanic I asked was straight up wrong; I'm surprised.

The thing is, they really don't seem to do much to the brightness of the screens when you cover them, or for that matter when they're hit with a flashlight if you're checking the wiper bolt for ice.  So, unsure how they're actually used.  In contrast, the sensors in the displays themselves are very sensitive to light or shadow.

These on the glareshield don't affect the HGS brightness; that sensor is on the combiner.

JpXVitb0_t.jpg

Thanks for looking this up.

You'll be poking these things on your next flight, won't you?😉

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

16 minutes ago, Jazz said:

You'll be poking these things on your next flight, won't you?

I do sometimes anyway.  I mean I think we've established they aren't nipples, but maybe I spend too much time on the road away from home.  😂

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

13 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

I do sometimes anyway.  I mean I think we've established they aren't nipples, but maybe I spend too much time on the road away from home.  😂

Try covering both of them up at the same time and see what the displays do 😉

The other pilot will probably think you have gone a bit funny but what does that matter for the sake of science?

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

The mechanic I asked was straight up wrong; I'm surprised.

Thats the difference between AME's in countries that need type endorsements v's the US system. Or they were just messing with you 😀

Edited by Garys

8 hours ago, Garys said:

Thats the difference between AME's in countries that need type endorsements v's the US system. Or they were just messing with you 😀

I think the answer would have been more creative if he were messing with me 😉.  I suspect he got fleet types confused as there are aircraft that have the area mics on the panel like that.  This was a fun exercise though!

Andrew Crowley

12 hours ago, Jazz said:

Try covering both of them up at the same time and see what the displays do 😉

The other pilot will probably think you have gone a bit funny but what does that matter for the sake of science?

That's a good point, as they might be redundant systems...maybe @Stearmandriver can cover both and find out for us :)

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

I think the answer would have been more creative if he were messing with me 😉.  I suspect he got fleet types confused as there are aircraft that have the area mics on the panel like that.  This was a fun exercise though!

It's actually the cabin air quality sensor. Turns out you're actually supposed to get the newhire flight attendant to walk through after boarding with the trash bag to get an air sample. Then you gotta get up and make sure you really get that bag around that sucker, hold it in place for 90 seconds, and you'll get an ACARS message with the results.