Sign in to follow this  
sonny147

5800x3D from a 9900K

anybody done this , is it worth it . I have the 9900k at 5.3 HT off ?

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

I went from a 10850K to a 5800X3D. I experienced a substantial performance boost in previously CPU bound scenarios (eg. Inibuilds A310) to the tune of 50%+ and that was at 4K when I had my 3080. Also overall smoothness improved significantly. I needed a new motherboard but was able to use my existing RAM and CPU cooler and it was still well worth it.

Edit: I should add, this upgrade experience is entirely with MSFS.

Edited by Reset XPDR

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Not at this point in time when AMD is so close to releasing new CPU's for the AM5 platform. Either wait for AM5 X3D for a new build or take advantage of the sales of the redundant AM4 platform once they are released

Edited by Garys

I think I’ll be selling my i9 9900k and mobo and getting the 5800x3d with new mobo.

As for now it’s the cheapest way to go instead of purchasing new ram and gpu also.

mike

Well I went with the 5800x3d and new mobo as well

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !