Sign in to follow this  
Leopejo

Too many sims?

Hello,

I recently bought my brother-in-law's oldish gaming computer and got the bug again. So I bought MSFS 2020 and a couple of days later FSX-SE for a couple of bucks, as I have a couple of old books on how to learn flying on FSX, which I loved back in the day and would like to learn again using them.  

I'd like to try the free FlightGear too and maybe buy X-Plane 12 one day. 

Question is: those who use more than one simulator, don't you get confused? I already have problems remembering where are the flaps and trim on my controller in FS2020 vs. FSX. Do you set identical controls in all your simulators? 

Or should I focus on one simulator at a time (apart from cost issues)? 

And hello, I am Leo, currently living in Wrocław (Poland), planning to virtually fly to all my other homelands.

Edited by Leopejo

This is a great question. I love sims and operate multiples to suit my needs. I have P3D, X-plane 12, DCS, Aero FS4 and MSFS. I do spend more time in DCS and MSFS. It all reminds me of the time I flew a UFO, G3s, G5s and G550s all at the same time. At times I would find myself reaching for something that wasn't there. Especially on those 3 to 4 AM flights where my brain's IRS were not fully aligned yet. The way I handled it was that I reviewed the preflight and systems the night before. I also flew each jet routinely so that numbers and flows were easier to separate. I can tell the guys and gals that rarely mixed them up. We would be in a G3 and they would struggle through procedures, flows and speed control. Things get interesting when there are no auto throttles and you have to mental math crossing restrictions.

But in flight sim, I use FSUIPC in P3D and MSFS. This allows me to seamlessly set controls to specific aircraft. I also have the thrust master warthog stick and throttles and the Thrust master Boeing yoke and throttles. My desk is a little crowded, but so is the flight deck in a Gulfstream. I use the warthog for DCS and Airbus aircraft and the Boeing controls for everything else. I also set the same controls, switches and buttons through out my sims. The only one that actually forces me to remember is DCS. That's because each jet/helicopter I fly have some different controls. The tomcat has different controls than the F18 as well as the F16. The A10 is also different in the way the FLIR and targeting POD works. Searching/locking up air and ground targets is different between aircraft. Plus I fly in VR and can't see the keyboard. Because of this, I control everything through the stick and throttle. A good example is the F14 and the F18. When on pulling the nose on to a close bandit that I am behind, things get different. When in the 14, I can engage a mode, PLM, and lock the target with a vertical scan using a button on my throttle. In the 18, I can use a AIM-9X and just look at the target. With the helmet mounted cue system, I don't have to pull the nose on it, just look, hit a button on the stick and fire.

To deal with DCS, I have to fly often. I make general buttons the same on each aircraft, but others I have to remember. Helicopters are even different. Taking a break from a specific aircraft is painful because not only do I have to remember buttons, I have to remember systems. I do cheat sometimes and pull up the controls assignment menu. From there I can click buttons to see what they control. You can do this as well with MSFS. Use the search by input function.

Well, good luck and welcome back!

3 hours ago, Leopejo said:

Question is: those who use more than one simulator, don't you get confused? I already have problems remembering where are the flaps and trim on my controller in FS2020 vs. FSX. Do you set identical controls in all your simulators? 

Or should I focus on one simulator at a time (apart from cost issues)? 

Hi Leo,  I would suggest selecting one sim and sticking with it until you are totally comfortable with it.  More than one, and you will indeed get confused.

My suggestion is MSFS... you can use your learning to fly books equally well, and FSX is truly "old technology" in 2023..

• Like 1

Bert

4 hours ago, Leopejo said:

Do you set identical controls in all your simulators? 

Yes.  I have a standard keyboard layout for every flightsim from FSX to P3Dv5.  Ditto the buttons and switches on my Saitek X52.  I do not have MFSF 2020 so I can't comment on that.

I only have 2 operating sims.  P3Dv3 for my aircraft collection because so many FSX aircraft work on it and P3Dv5 for my Orbx scenery collection.  I don't know what I would use any of the others for.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I use different control for different sims, And switch them quite smoothly.

I do have indecent when I was testing PBR back when P3Dv4.4 using default F16, I reach to my BMS key setup somehow....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hi Leo,  I would suggest selecting one sim and sticking with it until you are totally comfortable with it.  More than one, and you will indeed get confused.

My suggestion is MSFS... you can use your learning to fly books equally well, and FSX is truly "old technology" in 2023..

As much as I enjoyed and learned from other sims, I agree with Bert. Spreading yourself thin will tax your learning curves (note the plural).  As of today my suggestion is also MSFS.  A  year ago that would have been different. The recommendation is based on constant, continuous short-interval development updates, and the wealth of addon products and enhancements already available, with the vast majority of them freeware.  The shortcomings are fewer and are being weeded out.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I was just taking the Icon amphibian in MSFS from my home in Munich across beautiful southern Poland towards Russia, trying to make my way towards China. Just plop down in rivers, lakes, fields. It's a great simple little plane with an unobstructed forward view. For something like this I find MSFS truly a treasure.

But I can't tear myself away entirely from FSX:SE, since I love longhaul flight planning, like Sydney-London, or Shanghai-Sao Paulo. I got the PMDG 777 and 747-400 also Aerosoft DC8 running so well, plus all the AI traffic, weather etc. Just did a not so long flight from Singapore to Sapporo in the 777 on FSX, and the snowy scenery and the coastline and the hills on the approach really didn't look bad at all, plus the AI traffic coming in alongside me on the parallel runway and the planes lined up on the ground waiting for departure, felt almost better than MSFS, but I guess it's also what you're used to. Also the no hassle pausing, saving, resuming saved flights in FSX.

Mainly I'm making excuses because although I've got MSFS to run quite well, the fans are still making quite a bit of noise and no doubt my computer is still running hot. Whereas FSX runs completely cool and quiet. 

I'll probably make the switch eventually but for now I have absolutely no problems switching back and forth between two sims.

• Like 1

There’s no doubt MSFS is the best sim if you like low level sightseeing. But as that’s something that doesn’t really interest me I have yet to buy it.

Instead I look for the sim that has the aircraft I like to fly. That sim is P3Dv5. I fly a Lear 25, PMDG 737, PC12, Vertx DA62 and Concorde.

Very soon a new 64-bit version of Concorde will be available which will keep me happy for years. The advancements made in v5 to FSX are enormous. My graphics card now uses more memory than the maximum permitted in FSX (4Gb).

Both visually and scenery-wise P3D v5 has come a long way since FSX days but there are still airports made for FSX that remain compatible with it as well as more recent ones that are very impressive.

The SDK is more open in P3D allowing 3rd party developers to enhance the sim. Active Sky remains very popular and has the added benefit of historical weather meaning you can fly anywhere in the world with accurate weather irrespective of your local time.

Having just the one sim means I can concentrate all my efforts on that as well as being able to draw on 20+ years of experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 1/9/2023 at 7:48 PM, Bert Pieke said:

That's why I never bothered with X-plane, it was just too different from FSX. So I went the P3D route.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

How many sims do you have?  How many are currently active?  How many have you thrown away?  How many more are you planning to get?

3 - FSX, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, P3Dv5

2 - P3Dv3, P3Dv5

A lot.  All the FSs through FS9, X-Plane

None

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, Bert Pieke said:

I agree with Bert.  I miss a few aspects of p3d, but overall msfs is a fantastic sim.  When juggling multiples it's real hard.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

53 minutes ago, micstatic said:

When juggling multiples it's real hard.  

I agree with an exception.  Dedicated sims.

I use P3Dv3 for my aircraft collection.  It accepts a lot more FSX addon aircraft than P3Dv5.

I use P3Dv5 for cross country flying in Orbx scenery worldwide with a single aircraft..the Quest Kodiak.

But I would agree that multiple sims doing the same thing is juggling.

Noel

Yeah,  for a beginner it would be nice to stick to few aircraft types even. that naturally limited platform.

I only have moved to fly both P3D and XP after I'm sort of exhausted airliners can be found in P3D, and at that level, you should already have some good understanding on over all picture for both flying and flight sim software, then it's not that much effort to make the switch or cross type/platform.

I love it that there are so many sims. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I probably use X-Plane 11 the most.

MSFS has some annoyances that I haven't figured out how to get around (like pause still uses fuel and time continues). But is great for VFR low level flying and sight seeing. It also has a good cross section of default aircraft.

X-Plane seems to work best for me for GA flying. I use Active Sky for weather. The flight planning and execution seem to be accurate (I used to fly for real in the 80's).

I can't seem to replace FSX for airliners and business jets. Again I use Active Sky for weather. The available planes seem to have very realistic flight management systems. I can pause, save flights and accelerate time, which are more problematic in the other sims.

Someday soon I'll try out X-Plane 12. And maybe P3D someday as well.