Sign in to follow this  
Mace

My latest Performance Discovery!

Yes, I, like you all, have been trying to get the most out of FSX, and I believe I found something very "fundamental" that has really helped my enjoyment of this sim.First of all, I noticed that no matter what I tried, I got to a point that my performance was simply mediocre at best...frames averaging in the teens, sometimes the 20's, and often coming down to single digits when scenery was somewhat challenging. However, I have a powerful system and I keep it clean, defragged, etc. But after numerous video driver updates, it just kept getting worse...instead of better.Now...I know many of you know this, but I never really believed it worked until now. Although I thought I removed my previous drivers from my Add/Remove programs before installing new ones, that was NOT the case. There were many remnants of many drivers still on my system, and it obviously was not working in the most efficient manner.I purchased Driver Cleaner Pro (see link), and I can't believe how wonderfully well my FSX runs now. It was miraculous to say the least! Many old driver remnants were removed, and my new Driver installation went smoothly (without telling me there were versions of files still there...do I want to overwrite?) and completely without incident. The program is the best $10 I've spent in a long time, and I'm convinced it works. My new NVidia Driver now works as intended and my frames are consistently in the high 20's, 30's, etc. with occasional drops in the teens in places I had serious performance problems before. I have switched back to Unlimited Frames from the 35 lock I had before with my new Drivers, and it seems to work well for me. I found the 158.24 drivers more stable on my system than the 162.22 drivers (Vista Ultimate on my system). I couldn't be happier now...and I will never install new drivers again without thoroughly cleaning out the old. That's my discovery. Here's the link where I bought this cleaner.http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Guest UlfB

Stan,I followed your tip and purchased DC Pro. Followed the DC instructions and cleaned out all nVIDIA drivers. I couldn't notice any effect on fps. Maybe it was a Vista related issue.Not much waste of money since the DC only costs 10$.Ulf B :-)Core2Duo X6800 OC 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM8800GTX, dual view 1920x1200 and 1280x1024Creative SB X-Fi (Gamer mode)WinXP Pro SP2, FSX SP1, FS9.1

I've been using the freeware version for years and it works great too!Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

I have always uninstalled drivers from the ADd/Remove programs menu...and it has always worked 100% great for me.But each system is different. Your driver install must have been particularly corrupted and admixed to the point that DC Pro saved your bacon.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB