Sign in to follow this  

Hi all, I used to use a G2 a few years ago now but I quit due to low sweet spot, and sweaty heavy mess of it. 
I viewed I would return when things progressed.

So, the question is, have they? 
What’s the BEST headset in MSFS these days? Is the clarity better? Sweet spot? How are they on the head now, still massive? I’ve been out the loop a few years now, so I hope it’s matured…

Good question... ive just gotten into VR and have the G2...so far so good but agree, the sweet spot is small...not a killer but i wish it could be larger....

Not sure what the other headsets are like, but i do like the earphones on the G2... if others had that and a large sweetspot id be sold!

• Like 1

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

It seems G2 is still the best all around, especially considering its relatively cheap price. I do hope there will soon be a G3 or sth that has slightly higher resolution, brightness, contrast and, a much bigger sweetspot. Then I'll be all set with with my incoming 4090.. 

• Like 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

The G2 is still the best bang for your buck.  

The Varjo Arrow has a much bigger sweet spot and is better, but the cost is 4x the price and you need at least one lightbox for tracking if don't already have one. 

I don't regret my purchase ($3000 Canadian) and I already had the Vive Pro light boxes and controllers, but its definitely not 4x better then the G2. 

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

(it is the Varjo Aero - as in your signature)

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

hmmm interesting, seems it hasn't changed much in the 2 years since I used it then. Perhaps I'll hold off a little while longer then. 

12 hours ago, rickjake said:

The Varjo Arrow has a much bigger sweet spot and is better, but the cost is 4x the price and you need at least one lightbox for tracking if don't already have one. 

I hesitated to get Varjo Aero not only b/c of its nose-bleeding price, but also I don't want to buy a first generation product at such an expensive price. G2 is good enough for me to hold out and see how the true next generation VR will come up with. 

• Like 2

The upcoming Pimax Crystal seems very promising.  I would keep an eye on that if you're looking for something other than the G2, but not the Aero.

4 hours ago, Rene_Feijen said:

(it is the Varjo Aero - as in your signature)

You are correct.  It was a late night. my bad. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

3 hours ago, FlyIce said:

I hesitated to get Varjo Aero not only b/c of its nose-bleeding price, but also I don't want to buy a first generation product at such an expensive price. G2 is good enough for me to hold out and see how the true next generation VR will come up with. 

Its a great headset, and I love it. but I would agree, it's not that much better then the G2. The G2 just has that small sweet spot to deal with but has the great over-ear headset which the Varjo does not. 

I was also hesitating to get it or not, but when my cable on my G2 failed (my fault) and I cannot seem to order a new cable right now, as they are still out of stock everywhere.  So I took the plunge and bought the Varjo Aero.  

Rick Verhallen

Good to know your experience with Aero. I definitely keep an eye on its next generation. G2's sweetspot is very small, but I just learned to overcome it by moving my head instead of rolling my eyes - good for my neck since I'm sitting in front of computer so long everyday. 

1 hour ago, johnnycaptain said:

Curious, how will you compare the aero to a monitor (2k or 4K) in terms of clarity and colors ?

I have a 47" 4K TV, but since using VR, I have a hard time flying using just my monitor.  I find the color (colour) and resolution to be very good. Although, I would say the 4K monitor is always crisp and sharp looking, it will depend on what settings you are using and your CPU/GPU are capable of,  that will determine how it looks in your headset. If you can run everything at a fairly high setting, the Varjo comes very close to 4k look. (in my opinion)

The one thing I don't like about the Varjo, is night flying. I would prefer the G2 with the OLED displays over the mini LCD panels for night flying. I really notice the backlighting of the mini LED display panels when flying at night. Its like a brownish fog all the time and drives me crazy.  Varjo is supposed to be working on a firmware/software upgrade that will use selectable dimmable backlighting to help with this, but don't know when or if that is coming. Daytime flying is great though. 

Edited by rickjake
  • Like 1

Rick Verhallen

I saw you also have a 4090/13900K killer combination. How is your fps in VR?

With 3090/10850K I'm around 30-35fps with mostly ultra/high settings, DLSS quality, 150% OpenXR scaling. I'm hoping with 4090 I can increase the OpenXR scaling to well over 200% which should greatly improve the clarity of G2. I tried 400% in OpenXR and G2 looked amazing, but fps was only 8.  

Doesn't the Varjo have active cooling? That seems like it would be a big plus. I have a Valve Index and it does get warm after a while.