Sign in to follow this  
powlcown

Boxed edition install query

Excuse me for a rather word not allowed question. I am running a boxed edition of MSFS purchased in 2020. If I install this on a new computer will the simulator software update it to the most recent update? In other words will I get a "updates available" message when I first run it?

24 minutes ago, powlcown said:

Excuse me for a rather word not allowed question. I am running a boxed edition of MSFS purchased in 2020. If I install this on a new computer will the simulator software update it to the most recent update? In other words will I get a "updates available" message when I first run it?

you will. and expect a lot to download...

BTW I suggest you install MSFS (recommended: any other drive than your 😄 drive), then go to MS Store and check updates, you will receive a new MSFS.exe update. once you received that you will get another "in-game" update screen and once that is done you need to check content manager in MSFS to download those updates, too. That is a general update "routine"

1. MS Store

2. In-game update when loading/starting MSFS

3. Updates through Content Manager

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Many thanks for the information. It is more or less what I imagined will need to be done. Unfortunatley I have quite a slow internet connection. Ah well patience is a virtue as they say.  "BTW I suggest you install MSFS (recommended: any other drive than your 😄 drive)"  I'm not quite sure what you meane by this statement though?

7 minutes ago, powlcown said:

I'm not quite sure what you meane by this statement though?

He probably ment the C-drive but "C:" turns into 😄 when not using quotes. The forum software is doing that.
The base program can be installed on the c-drive but be sure you install the packages folder on a different drive.

OK. Thanks. When I first installed msfs I installed all discs (8 I think without looking at the box) onto my C drive. That was it. There were no additional packages at that time. Apologies for my ignorance. I'm 80 yrs old! Much  more adapt at fixing aeroplans in the old days than using computer software. Thanks for your patience.

31 minutes ago, powlcown said:

OK. Thanks. When I first installed msfs I installed all discs (8 I think without looking at the box) onto my C drive. That was it. There were no additional packages at that time. Apologies for my ignorance. I'm 80 yrs old! Much  more adapt at fixing aeroplans in the old days than using computer software. Thanks for your patience.

All fine. And yes the smiley should mean c drive. Actually if I remember well you will once be asked during installation where to install MSFS. Pick any other drive but c. There will still be something go to c but as mentioned the packages/content with some hundred GB will go to the other drive (if you have one). 
if anything fails just ask. 
btw wish I am still flying at your age

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Many thanks Dad. All understood. I have 2 ssd drives so no problem there. I note your location is KDAL. My eldest son and two grandaughter are flying out of there in a few hours time. Destination London and then onto Cork Ireland where I live. My youngest son flys a A350 for British Airways. So aviation is in our blood!

Take care and thanks for your time. David

9 minutes ago, powlcown said:

your location is KDAL

Every once in a while though recently primarily EDDM. Enjoy your family gathering! 

Phil Leaven