Sign in to follow this  
bogdansrb

X-Plane 12 Performance Issues

2 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

1. X-Plane is the only plane that has that many issues with AMD GPUs

Not true, even massive AAA titles like CoD:MW suffer similar/worse issues with AMD on desktop

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/please-fix-the-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-crashes/m-p/396174

2 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

2. There's also a problem on Linux (mesa) where all 2D panels are flickering, which is also what zink is supposed to fix

Linux doesn't fare much better, there is some benefit to getting some unpaid labour to unfux their badly written drivers, but at the end of the day only AMD GPU engineers really understand what is going on with their silicon, and their good ones are all to busy with consoles.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

On 1/11/2023 at 6:49 PM, bogdansrb said:

As far as I've read, the culprit is an openGL-vulkan bridge. Almost all 3rd party aircraft draw their 2d panels using openGL (still), and that has to be converted to vulkan. It seems to be mostly an AMD issue.

while I use an Nvidia RTX, does this explain why fps go down as soon as I move my cockpit view down to panel only and goes up again if I move the panel down so it covers only like half of the screen?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

while I use an Nvidia RTX, does this explain why fps go down as soon as I move my cockpit view down to panel only and goes up again if I move the panel down so it covers only like half of the screen?

In my case it's the other way around. If I look at panels the FPS shoots up, but if I look at airport buildings it crashes down.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

7 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

True, but:

1. X-Plane is the only plane that has that many issues with AMD GPUs

Or more correctly: LR is the biggest one throwing AMD's B$ back in their face. The only other option is indeed for LR to write their own 3rdparty API based on Vulkan only, which would be a waste of time and work when Zink is an option.

7 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

True, but:

2. There's also a problem on Linux (mesa) where all 2D panels are flickering, which is also what zink is supposed to fix

This isn't a linux-only problem. It is the primary symptom for everyone with AMD. Not a matter of 'supposed to', it's one of 'will'. If LR shipped Zink right now, linux users would be fine. The windows solution requires AMD to update their drivers. 

Funny that people insist on whipping LR for AMD's nonsense when what is really happening is that LR is providing a path through AMD's nonsense.

• Like 3

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

that's what you get from not using DirectX, because one insists on support of 10% Apple and 1% Linux market share in the gaming market. there has been nothing but problems first with OpenGL, and now this. not to mention the enormous overhead to support 3 different platforms.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

There's one more thing, if I run openGL and vulkan benchmarks separately, I get FPS in the hundreds. But somehow x-plane not only gets lower than that, it gets WAY lower to unusable. Maybe the issue is that x-plane combines them? I've heard that on XP11 with openGL performance is good. And when x-plane is purely vulkan, it also runs decently (default aircraft, no plugins etc). 

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

that's what you get from not using DirectX, because one insists on support of 10% Apple and 1% Linux market share in the gaming market. there has been nothing but problems first with OpenGL, and now this. not to mention the enormous overhead to support 3 different platforms.

As evidenced by all the other flightsims that started development in the 90s, and are still in active development today, right?

Which were they again? 

imho the only reason xp has the 3pds it does is because

As true today as it was then.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

"I am going to learn OpenGL because that will lead to more job opportunities"

so that was Austin's motive, I always thought because he hates Microsoft. 😊

very nice.

4 hours ago, turbomax said:

That's what you get from not using DirectX

I capitalized the 'T' for you. Your laziness aside, this is actually a fair argument against LR at the moment. Plenty of other platforms (not just games) have implemented Vulkan in a way that beats DX12 in perf. But I think we can agree that it's definitely a back-and-forth between those APIs in terms of FPS and I fully expect that over the coming months LR will be catching up as they focus on the pro side of things (dat FAA cert) and associated FPS requirements.

Multi-platform makes way more sense. Multi-industry-partner makes even more sense. For example, in the VR world, everyone has shifted to openxr (LR is doing that soon too) which is Vulkan's cousin by Khronos.

I'd much rather

https://www.khronos.org/members/list (IKEA?!)

than

Edited by blingthinger

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

1 hour ago, bogdansrb said:

if I run openGL and vulkan benchmarks separately, I get FPS in the hundreds

Pretty sure AMD botched their latest drivers. I've heard of a lot of folks going back to 22.5.1 because of notable perf issues in 22.11.1 and .2

28 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

On 2nd thought this makes sense. IKEA does tons of 3D rendering for their product pics.

1) any great x-plane12 specific sceneries you guys can recommend? not just older v11 port overs that happen to be compatible?

2) is something like xOrganizer for x-plane12 a good idea?

https://store.x-plane.org/xOrganizer-v3-XP12_p_1636.html

for the other simulator we have a great freeware tool called MSFS addons linker. P3D also had a built-in mechanism to arrange sceneries, I don't see something like that in x-plane12?

3) any xp12 specific general aviation aircraft you can recommend besides Goran's Challenger masterpiece? twins, turboprops, business jets?

or should I better start a new thread for this?

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

i really don't see how scenery loading can be such an issue in xplane, i get 80fps when over water and 30fps with default scenery over Europe.

Something is seriously wrong with the loading of scenery in xplane. It's such a shame as i really like the new lighting in XP12.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by UKflyer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

scenery loading

gpu time has nothing todo with scenery loading.

probably try turning cloud quality down?

AutoATC Developer