Sign in to follow this  
bogdansrb

X-Plane 12 Performance Issues

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

I think its this

Thanks very much for having tested it, It could very well be that indeed. I also noticed this complex patterns. At the same time can this really take so much power away? I mean, compared to what we can achieve on modern graphic-cards this shouldn't be a big deal (compared to thousands and thousands of houses, trees etc. being drwan in realtime)? Or is this structure perhaps made of millions of small segments?

And is there something we can do to simplify that respectively to fix that issue?

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

I think its this

S66G5IQ.png

Which I got to by "following" the FPS hit, from exactly the same location as you and @UKflyer posted.

This was an issue in earlier releases, fixed in 12.01b1

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-12-00-release-notes/

XPD-13665 – Massive performance drop at sunrise/sunset

oh gonna go and take another look as pic was before that, thanks!

is there a general problem with xlua do you know which causes performance issues?

Edited by UKflyer

2 hours ago, UKflyer said:

general problem with xlua do you know which causes performance issues?

it's possible to write plane systems in xlua that completely nuke performance.

It's why I made xtlua.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

9 hours ago, mSparks said:

it's possible to write plane systems in xlua that completely nuke performance.

It's why I made xtlua.

interesting thanks! I have a toliss sound pack that uses xlua which i think is causing fps issues, when i use the default sounds the fps is ok.

But why would the FPS drop occur when looking at scenery? Buildings are just facades most of the time, so it shouldn't be hard to draw them. On the other hand, a plane cockpit is more demanding if it's complex and has a lot of things modeled. In my case, it's the other way around, I get good FPS looking at cockpit panels and big FPS drops when looking at scenery (actually airport buildings).

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

On 1/28/2023 at 10:10 PM, bogdansrb said:

I received a response form Laminar on a report that some airports see significant drops when looking at certain parts of it, even the small ones.

I honestly don't know what to get from this. Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

I found something related to this:

Gosh! In the past it was common practice to lay polygons to exclude autogen trees and buildings in the vicinity of airports. Sometimes used to flatten terrain too.

Many designers added elements outside the airport boundary particularly along final approach centrelines. This affected mesh and caused extra burden on sim operation.

XP12 now uses OSM data outside airport boundaries, restricting designers by removing the tools to modify mesh or scenery outside these confines. OSM are keen for locals to update and modify their data, just create a free account.

4 hours ago, bogdansrb said:

But why would the FPS drop occur when looking at scenery? Buildings are just facades most of the time, so it shouldn't be hard to draw them. On the other hand, a plane cockpit is more demanding if it's complex and has a lot of things modeled. In my case, it's the other way around, I get good FPS looking at cockpit panels and big FPS drops when looking at scenery (actually airport buildings).

It isn't related to buildings (see above). You probably only have these huge fps-drops when looking at certain directions, only when these complex ground/water-structures have to be drawn.

This is a known bug filed as XPD-13807. That number will be listed in release notes if or when it is included in an X-Plane update.

I received this from Laminar regarding the scenery FPS drops.

5 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

I received this from Laminar regarding the scenery FPS drops.

Oh, related to that same case we observe around EHAM? That would be great news!

4 hours ago, Franz007 said:

Oh, related to that same case we observe around EHAM? That would be great news!

I don't know if it's the same case, but it's regarding FPS drops around airports. I reported it a while ago.

1 hour ago, bogdansrb said:

I don't know if it's the same case, but it's regarding FPS drops around airports. I reported it a while ago.

Ok thanks.

I'm getting a big drop in this forest outside ESGG. I removed all exclusion zones from the airport but it's not that.

syAelxE.jpg