Ianrivaldosmith

VR or Brunner.

VR high end device or Brunner FF yoke.   

56 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose?

• High end VR headset
    • Brunner force feedback yoke.

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That’s the thing, I’m not writing it off,  just want a better headset. Patiently waiting…

In the end, did you have any chance to re-try a G2 in its newest version to check the difference it makes for the sweetspot ?

My suggestion would also be VR. 2D simming is like "visiting" cities in Google Street view. You "were not there". For me VR flights are perceived and remembered like real flights.

Not only situational awareness but also feeling the attitude and the position in the air is so much improved, that I no longer think that circuits and manual procedures can be flown precisely without VR. At least I cant. Turning the head during the downwind for a split second is enough to exactly evaluate where the runway is and whether "everything is looking good" to start turning into base.

14 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

VR in the PMDG 737 is actually really cool! 

Absolutely! For me only in VR do the little eyebrow windows of the older versions start to make sense and I like them very much now.

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

Isn‘t it annoying trying to hit the switches and buttons with VR? Or even worse programming the MCDU? Can‘t imagine keeping my head in that awkward position for too long.

The head is turned where real pilots are looking too. Maybe while leaning forward a bit. In VR you look closely to something by leaning there. But still you perfectly feel the cramped space cockpits typically have.

I also like the usage of the mouse very much in VR. It works very well. At least as good as on the screen.

• Like 3

Absolutely right .  Both consumer and commercial virtual reality are still evolving.  But already now you can get a great vr experience.  There is no perfect vr headset yet.  Everyone chooses something for themselves.  At the moment, the use of vr is already great for simulators.  Today, the issue of controls and interaction with interactive cockpits and menu items is more relevant.  In principle, using the mouse already works quite well.  I am using a trackball.  It's even more convenient - getting used to it was quick and you always know where the mouse is.  In vr, the user does not see the environment and it is always important that the controls are predictably accessible.  But this area of interaction with vr is developing.  Hand tracking has arrived.  There are two very accessible technologies - ultraleap and pointctrl .  In dcs already now they work fine.  Enthusiasts are constantly improving their use in msfs .  I really hope that ASOBO will pay more attention to these devices and then immersion in vr will be even more fantastic

• Like 1

Garber Sergey

It seems to me that the brunner or vr survey is incomplete.  I can not vote due to the lack of BOTH item))

• Like 1

Garber Sergey

18 hours ago, senya016 said:

IMG-20230107-011150-411.jpg

Is the thing on the front a hand tracker? If so, which one, and how well does it work for you? Can you reliably flip switches/etc?

52 minutes ago, eslader said:

Is the thing on the front a hand tracker? If so, which one, and how well does it work for you? Can you reliably flip switches/etc?

I don't think you can flip anyway with your hands...I use all mouse.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This is ultaleap 170 stereo.  I haven't used it in msfs yet but I know people have adapted it for msfs .  This work is ongoing.  But it works very well in dcs .  I recently got my new ffb joystick and am now actively using the ultraleap and ffb joystick bundle in dcs .  Native support for ultraleap works in dcs , but I didn't like it .  I have too many controls and it's hard to get my finger on the right switch in the clickable cockpit.  It is much more interesting to use ultraleap as a virtual mouse.  I know enthusiasts are trying to add this to msfs .  For me, this is the perfect combination.  I also use the voiceattack program.  This is a must have app for vr and not only for vr.  I also wait my turn on pointctrl.  Watch the video and you will understand what I am talking about.

• Like 1

Garber Sergey

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

I don't think you can flip anyway with your hands...I use all mouse.

Agree !  The most convenient is mouse cursor control.  But there is now better support for using hand tracking for cursor control.  Different programs may work differently with the cursor.  It is very important that asobo add support for cursor control in tablet mode.  I really like to control the cursor with my hands without the need to interact with a physical mouse / trackball.

https://discord.gg/PydFM5nT

I recommend reading about it in the pointctrl discord channel.  I am in no way affiliated with the developer of this device.  While I'm on the waiting list to buy my kit.  It seems to me that this is the most progressive device for the combination of real controls and clickable

Edited by senya016

Garber Sergey

My issue with mouse cursor control is when you're flying something with an overhead panel that has switches behind your head. Something weird happens when you turn your head to look at them, because it rotates the mouse direction 90 degrees. Up is right, right is down, etc. Gets a little obnoxious!

And it can also be hard to get the cursor right where you need it because some cockpits seemingly only have a pixel or two of actual clickable button, which is hard to hit when the cockpit is bumping around in flight.

• Like 1

I am close the pulling the trigger on a Varjo Aero now after this discussion. Lets hope its better than the G2 it terms of comfort/clarity and FOV.

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

28 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I am close the pulling the trigger on a Varjo Aero now after this discussion. Lets hope its better than the G2 it terms of comfort/clarity and FOV.

Why not the pimax chrystal? 

3 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Its better? 

As far as I understand its its closest competitor, and its cheaper and you don't need those annoying base stations. Its worth looking into before deciding...

If I was to buy a new headset now, I would really consider it over the varjo... Have the G2 and happy with it for now, so Im waiting 2 more years before buying, by then maybe something better comes out:) 

Edited by Kaboki
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

As far as I understand its its closest competitor, and its cheaper and you don't need those annoying base stations. Its worth looking into before deciding...

If I was to buy a new headset now, I would really consider it over the varjo... Have the G2 and happy with it for now, so Im waiting 2 more years before buying, by then maybe something better comes out:) 

Interesting I will check it out!