I would be obliged for some advise please. I am thinking about upgrading my GPU. My present system is GPU Nvidia GTX 1070. CPU is Intel i5-9600k @3.70Ghz. 6 cores 6 Threads. I have 32 GBytes of DDR4 memory and an Asus Prime Z370-P11.Motherboard

Could I upgrade my GPU to a 3070 without having to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard? My sim is running fairly smoothly on high end graphics settings but tends to struggle when I introduce such addons as FSTL. Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, powlcown said:

I would be obliged for some advise please. I am thinking about upgrading my GPU. My present system is GPU Nvidia GTX 1070. CPU is Intel i5-9600k @3.70Ghz. 6 cores 6 Threads. I have 32 GBytes of DDR4 memory and an Asus Prime Z370-P11.Motherboard

Could I upgrade my GPU to a 3070 without having to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard? My sim is running fairly smoothly on high end graphics settings but tends to struggle when I introduce such addons as FSTL. Thanks in advance.

Yes you could. Just check your power supply (PSU) has enough grunt for the 3070.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

9 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Yes you could. Just check your power supply (PSU) has enough grunt for the 3070.

Many thanks. Yes I think my psu is 750 watts.

i run a 3080 and 9900K with a 750 ( high quality though0 you should be ok

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

1 hour ago, powlcown said:

My sim is running fairly smoothly on high end graphics settings but tends to struggle when I introduce such addons as FSTL. Thanks in advance.

If it is struggling due to FSLTL, it is because of the CPU. A novel GPU wontdhelp you there...

• Like 4

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, powlcown said:

I am thinking about upgrading my GPU.

What monitor resolution?  I am running a similar system to yours on a 1920x1080 monitor, also on High settings.

As stated above, a new GPU might not help me much.. so sticking with my trusty 1070 for now.  🙂

Bert

If you upgrade, you better look at potential bottlenecks that could appear. Indeed the PSU but also, is DDR4 fast enough to transport data to a 3070 card? I do not have the answer but you should look at those details.

I wonder why still so many people do not know about the easiest way to check if an GPU upgrade makes any difference: simply turn on the dev mode via MSFS menue. Then check the graph on the upper right corner of your screen and it will TELL you, if you are mostly "limited by main thread" (means CPU) or "limited by GPU". If you get 90% "limited by main thread", adding a more powerful GPU will help you nothing, unless you want to crank up resolution and antialiasing modes.

Slightly different story of course if you go for a nVIDIA 4xxx card, as they offer frame generation via DLSS 3.0, this would help you with FPS even in a fully CPU limited scenario...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks for all your advise guys. I reckon the bottom line is as AnKH said "turn on dev mode" and see what its telling me regarding limitations. Bedtime here in Ireland now so I'll dev into it with a fresh head tomorrow! I