Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Insane overshoot into Atlanta Bay

Guest dandarton

Watch what happens after this citation overshoots the runway.

The airport is Bader Field in Atlantic City, New Jersey.Unfortunately it appears that the city is going to close KAIY very soon. The AOPA has been trying to keep the field open. A 2,944 ft runway is too short for a Citation - the field is about nine miles from KACY - the main airport for Atlantic City.The video of the plane taxiing in the water with an uncontrolled engine is amazing.

That pilot was one #### of a gambler. Unfortunately he lost this time. What a dumb a**!!!!!!!

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I did not take the time to read the article, but if you say so Regie, I am good with that.But dont cha think he (PIC) was still a dumb bunny?bt

That has to be the craziest mishap video I've seen on the net so far. Does anyone know why/how the engine restarted? That was pretty #### crazy.

Guest dandarton

Usually on approach the igniters are turned on so that they fire constantly. Most likely the cockpit was left in an as-is state, when they left the aircraft, with every thing set for flight, after they hit the water the batteries were still powered and igniters were still going and it was just a matter of time. They did what they were supposed to do in the event of a flame-out . In this case injesting water.

Sorry, false - The NTSB found the approach plate for KAIY clipped to the yoke in the aircraft afterward.From your link, I quote:"Additionally, the airport diagram for Bader Field, was observed attached to the pilot's control column after the accident. A notation, which read, "airport closed to jet aircraft" was observed on the diagram."

Yes he had the approach plate for Bader clipped to the yoke.He was also in contact with the KACY tower and cleared for landing at KACY. His radios were not tuned to the frequencies on the KAIY plate.He was not only lost but had the wrong airport information.I haven't found the link yet - but he was not a native english speaker from what I've read previously. It's possible he may have not known there were two airports in Atlantic City.

Guest Will__UK

OMG!! First off end of runway, THEN engine powers up!!! .. kept me watching!! thinking "oh *hit".

I'm impressed that the FADEC managed to relight the thing with all that water, the engine managed to actually produce power while ingesting that much water, and the horizontal stab survived all that water striking it. That was one tough bird and it just wasn't going down without a fight! :(I know it was written off, but anyone have any idea what became of it after?

Wait, now I'm confused too - Is Bader in the name of both airports as well?At 1544, ATC informed the pilot that "the airport is 12 o'clock and 4 miles." The pilot responded that he had the airport in sight, and the controller then cleared the pilot for a "visual approach at Bader airport."