Sign in to follow this  
Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Insane overshoot into Atlanta Bay

It wasn't the ACY tower, it was Atlantic City *approach* he was in contact with. Approach handles the regional ATC duties around the local airports - Bader doesn't have an active tower, so the approach controller handled him down to his actual approach to landing.The pilot perhaps thought that 'Bader' was the name of KACY (*Atlantic City International) and continued on his landing, even though he was approaching the wrong field. The approach controller did clear him to land at Bader, and the pilot accepted, even though the pilot's original intent was to land at A.C. International. -Greg

Then why is Atlantic City approach clearing a jet to land at an airport which is marked no jet traffic allowed?And if approach has (1) no idea of airport restrictions and runway lengths, and (2) no authority or responsibiity to tell a pilot his request is not authorized / illegal - then I better stock up on Greyhound and Amtrac tickets.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Some interesting points: Did the pilot mistake Bader for ACY? He had Bader plates on his yoke and acknowledged the Bader clearance but stated on initial contact that he was inbound to ACY. He had a flight plan on file but the report doesn't indicate what destination he filed. Reggie's point is also interesting: ATC understood he wanted AIY, though he stated ACY. They would know from his flight strip that he was a jet, so why did they clear him? I don't believe, though, that ATC is responsible for verifying that it is permissible or appropriate for him to land at a particular airfield. They manage separation. However, they might reasonably have known and advised him.I was stuned that he overflew the airport at 180kts at 200 feet, circling to land. Wow. So much for the traffic pattern. He also turned into traffic landing on the opposite end of th rwy and was not in touch with local traffic. This had trouble all over it.

Wait a minute. I thought the pilot was in there, trying to taxi it out of the water. (which would be a crazy thing to do, btw). You are telling me that there was no pilot in the plane when the engines re-lit?RhettAMD 3700+ powered by Gerbil wheel + gerbil, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 gigs Corsair TWINX, blah blah, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>I was stuned that he overflew the airport at 180kts at 200>feet, circling to land. Wow. So much for the traffic pattern.> He also turned into traffic landing on the opposite end of th>rwy and was not in touch with local traffic. >Didn't he land with a tailwind? Isn't that what you are getting at?RhettAMD 3700+ powered by Gerbil wheel + gerbil, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 gigs Corsair TWINX, blah blah, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I'm impressed that the FADEC managed to relight the thing>with all that water, the engine managed to actually produce>power while ingesting that much water, and the horizontal stab>survived all that water striking it. That was one tough bird>and it just wasn't going down without a fight! :(>>I know it was written off, but anyone have any idea what>became of it after?>>If I recall I saw a show on building the 777 and they tested the engines with a ton of water being thrown at it, equivalent to a hurricane and the engine kept running. So they are designed to keep running.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

No, he landed against traffic and with the wind. As I recall reading, there was another ac in the pattern for landing at the opposite end. Either way, i thought standard practice was to overfly 50 - 1000 feet above pattern altitude and then decend and join the pattern.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

the accident report indicated that the left condition level was in Cutoff but the right was bent over in low idle, as I recall.

He he nice, that guy is from my local airport EKRK in Denmark. He owns a company called Weibel sceintific, they make radar equipment.He has done probably everything you are not supposed to do when flying, among the more bizarre things is chasing kids in his helicopter, because they by mistake was on hes fields, still under investigation i believe.He also build a runway on a island he bought, but had to restore the island as it was because it was illegal. Overflying embassy areas in hes jet in Copenhagen during the second golf war at low altitude scaring the #### out of everbody there.

I believe he was flying an instrument approach into the airport.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

There is no mention in the report I read that he was flying an instrument approach, though he could have been, but this doesn't explain the overflight and 180 turn at 200AGL and 180kts and the fact that the other end of the runway was the "active" at the time.

"He had Bader plates on his yoke"usually those are used on instrument approaches.