Sign in to follow this  
jcboliveira

Visual impaired person and FS

Received an E-Mail asking a question that I would like to answer but don't know how. An impaired vision person would like to use FSX he knows that he can use FS2002 with a program called jaws. Does anyone knows how to use this program with FSX or any-other screen reader that works. He also asked where he can buy a FS2002 copy since he can't find one.Jos

Hi Jose:Here in the USA I saw FS2002 available at Best Buy until recently, still available at the remaining CompUSA stores, Circuit City has a bargain packaged FS2002 "now includes the C208 amphibian etc." (I don't know if it also includes other components of the Pro version) but it was $10.No doubt many software stores may have copies in warehouses, and then there is the new trend in Game shops to carry some "gently used" software titles, often with all the original shipped components in the box. Some Video stores that specialize in used titles also sell used PC game software too.If the person is not accessible to brick-and-mortar stores in the US, Amazon should be able to get anything anywhere by online order.I am not sure about whether FSX would also be able to accommodate screen readers, but I suspect that MS puts some routines into most if not all products for "Acessibility" via their API's.These features might be either activated by Windows accessibility functions themselves being installed, or perhaps made more available to 3rd party screen reader products (there are a fair number of them out there on the web).I am sure web search would turn up some useful links on this.Interestingly, I found this statement in a web page news item dated from 3 days ago:http://www.makibie.com/k-blog/Widgets

Guest SkyDrift

Jose - I'd suggest that this person download the free FSX demo from Microsoft's website at: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul.../downloads.htmlIf the person does not have JAWS 8.0, it can be downloaded from:http://www.sightandsound.co.uk/Products/So...SForWindows.htmWe know that FSX requires high-end computers to run successfully. Without knowing the impact the JAWS screenreader has on a system (XP or Vista) running FSX, even if both work together in theory, they may not work in practice on this person's particular system specs.By using the demo, at least the person can try it out without having to spend anything. If it works, great. If not, no harm done - the person just uninstalls the demo.JAWS 8.0 is quite an expensive product, so the person may also try FSX using Microsofts narrator built into both XP & Vista. It does work with FSX, but may not need the particular needs of this person. A quick check on EBay showed 34 copies of FS2002 for sale for around $5-10 US (exc. shipping).hope this helps,SkyDrift

Guest baksteen33

Or FS9 maybe? Either way, this thread is yet another example of the sheer kindness in the community. Maybe it's worthwhile to think about a large screening (large TFT/beamer)? If that would help of course. Case the person needs funding, I would be glad to assist. Cheers and kind regards Jaap