Sign in to follow this  
gear_d0wn1256

Taxiing & Turning Radius Issue ALL a/c MSFS2020

14 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have no idea what your problem is. 

Bob, sometimes I can't understand your motivations with this type of "help".
He's problems are outlined very clearly, 

I can't taxi or make accurate turns

With full nose wheel deflection even at 3-5kts the aircraft all "skid" and even on less drastic turns, the turning accuracy while taxiing is completely unrealistic.

but the turning while taxiing will not gain accurate "tire traction" for tighter turns unless I am below 2kts or at a creep... something is completely off

Do you think that you could really care to provide a solution other than your sarcastic answers?
  • Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, gear_d0wn1256 said:

I'm not going to even try to say I know what to do when it comes to adjustments and development, read this article... will changing the value to "0" change the tire "friction" to "grip" at a better speed for tight turns? Since the defaults are "1" and they are inaccurate...

This is where @robert young expertise might come into place within simulator restrictions. 

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

10 minutes ago, LRBS said:
Bob, sometimes I can't understand your motivations with this type of "help".
He's problems are outlined very clearly, 

I can't taxi or make accurate turns

It wasn't a sarcastic answer, I fly a bunch of different aircraft in MSFS, GA singles, GA twins, GA Turboprops. DC6, Fenix A 320, and I have never had a problem making a tight turn in any of them provided I was going at a normal taxi speed for a tight turn. So I stated " I have no idea what your problem is", because I have never seen this issue myself, or seen any one else posting it, until today. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, willy647 said:

IRL, planes don't take short turns at 20 KTS. Taxi to the jetways is done at 5/10 KTS

As stated previously, I am well aware. I fly transport category aircraft for a living and have multiple type ratings. I am perfectly aware of real world nose wheel steering, tiller, and pedal steering limitations. My point as posted was, that full "deflection" steering ability is only working at sub 2kts in the sim which is the major inaccuracy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, gear_d0wn1256 said:

As stated previously, I am well aware. I fly transport category aircraft for a living and have multiple type ratings. I am perfectly aware of real world nose wheel steering, tiller, and pedal steering limitations. My point as posted was, that full "deflection" steering ability is only working at sub 2kts in the sim which is the major inaccuracy. 

Gear-down,

Have a look at the SDK flight model section. There are various fixes - none of them perfect but certainly useful. It's too complicated to give you a line by line fix, but you can alter the nose wheel grip and somewhat reduce the yaw inertia in the flight_model.cfg file (do make a backup!). The sweet spot is to reduce the yaw inertia sufficient to prevent the nosewheel from "skidding" at full steering angle and still keep the flying yaw reasonably fluid. These tweaks do take a long time and lots of resyncing the aircraft using the project/aircraft editor in developer mode, after each tweak to test efficacy.

As others pointed out, there are quite a few methods by which you can improve things. Unfortunately it is not a quick fix which is understandably what maybe you are looking for. I agree with you that pro pilots do not routinely taxi at a crawl and indeed often turn at reasonably high speeds - certainly not 2 knots which is ridiculous unless you are lining up for a jetway.

Good luck.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Won't improving the turn radius at higher speed also make maintaining centerline during landing and take-off much more difficult? We've all flown default aircraft where 1 pixel of resolution deflection on your rudder peripherals would result in 15 degrees / second of yaw. Is there a sure-fire way to fix one problem (turn radius) without reducing accuracy in other areas (yaw stability, inertia, tire friction, etc) and vice versa?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

42 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Won't improving the turn radius at higher speed also make maintaining centerline during landing and take-off much more difficult? We've all flown default aircraft where 1 pixel of resolution deflection on your rudder peripherals would result in 15 degrees / second of yaw. Is there a sure-fire way to fix one problem (turn radius) without reducing accuracy in other areas (yaw stability, inertia, tire friction, etc) and vice versa?

You can calibrate ratio of turn/steering ability vs ground speed in the "CONTACT" section of the flight_model.cfg. There are parameters there which quite radically alter the onset of steering vs ground speed. But as explained previously, these things take time to tweak and require infinite patience and the habit of tweaking-reloading to get things just right. There are no quick fixes. Everything interacts. Which is why tweaking these things takes a lot of time and effort.

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

My PMDG 737NGX handles perfectly on the ground at all times in P3Dv4. Why is it so difficult for Asobo to get this right?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

My PMDG 737NGX handles perfectly on the ground at all times in P3Dv4......

The custom ground friction model that PMDG put it in overall better than what they can do in MSFS right now, that’s for sure. But the NGXu has that terrible transition between steering modes at 40 knots and there’s a weird bug that can send the plane into a loop if you hit the right conditions. So, better but not perfect IMO.

The updated handling model is one of the reasons why I decided not to purchase the NGXu.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

9 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The updated handling model is one of the reasons why I decided not to purchase the NGXu.

Oh you mean the original NGX. Hell, that uses default P3D friction physics which are definitely way worse than MSFS. 

On 1/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, gear_d0wn1256 said:

... I can't taxi or make accurate turns. I have tried stock aircraft, PMDG 737 series, and LatinVFR Airbus. Not a single aircraft is accurately making turns within an acceptable or realistic radius while taxiing. Every airplane nose wheel just "skids" if trying to make tight turns above literally 2kts or a "creep." With full nose wheel deflection even at 3-5kts the aircraft all "skid" and even on less drastic turns, the turning accuracy while taxiing is completely unrealistic. ..... Has anyone encountered this? I

When I first bought MSFS, I wanted an airliner for which there were only a couple of ASOBO choices. However, there was this not too expensive B777 freighter by Captain Sim that took my fancy. Bad mistake. Now I read a lot more reviews before I buy these things. The nose wheel steering on this Frankenstiened B747 model is simply unworkable on tight turns. You just end up going straight!!  However, I can't say I have noticed the same degree of this problem with the Asobo aircraft. That said I suspect I am not as aware of what the nosewheel should do and feel like at any given speed and turn radius, as you are. So, the fact that I clearly noticed this on the Captain Sim B777 means it must be bad!  

In retospect, the Capt Sim B777 seems like just the guinea pig to experiment with some of @robert young 's parameter suggestions. And if it doesn't fly anymore after completely screwing things up then.......no loss!! 😁

Cheers

Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

I've observed this ever since I use MSFS and I thought I must be the only one who's bothered by this.

Couple weeks ago, I've found out that I can make steeper turns when I don't fully deflect the rudder axis on my joystick compared to a full left or right steering.

From -100 to 0 to +100, I'd say at -100 and +100, steering is at (let's just say a number) 40° and at -90 and +90, it's at 50° or so.

A noticeably improvement.

When taxiing out of a narrow taxi-out-stand, I use differential braking (F11 for left brake, F12 for the right hand side).

Combined with thrust on one engine only, I can take narrow turns if I need to.

What bothers me more is, that it seems I can only steer in rough steps. Like only 20°, 40°, 60° or so.

Nothing smooth in between... if I wanted to make a 35° degree turn, I either have to turn too steep or too flat but I can't smoothly control the steering angle.

Anyone else?

Don't know if this is a PMDG 737 only issue or if it has got something to do with the sim in general.

1 hour ago, Konterhalbe said:

Couple weeks ago, I've found out that I can make steeper turns when I don't fully deflect the rudder axis on my joystick compared to a full left or right steering.

Yes, the front wheel begins to scrub is why. Although this is realistic at higher speeds I'm finding it is happening at too low a speed in MSFS. It's exactly the same for me. In order to get it to grip with full deflection on the 737 in this sim you really need to be going slow. Really slow. It's not right and needs fixing.

1 hour ago, Konterhalbe said:

What bothers me more is, that it seems I can only steer in rough steps. Like only 20°, 40°, 60° or so.

Nothing smooth in between... if I wanted to make a 35° degree turn, I either have to turn too steep or too flat but I can't smoothly control the steering angle.

Anyone else?

Don't know if this is a PMDG 737 only issue or if it has got something to do with the sim in general.

No, definitely not a PMDG thing. I don't know exactly what your setup is but I have no problem getting the exact amount of steering I require. I have it setup in the CDU to use "Tiller and Rudder" and use the twist axis of my Thrustmaster Airbus stick as a tiller and that allows me to be very accurate.

Edited by Jazz

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2